"sad -- creator of COPS -- killed"

PDA

David
March 16, 2003, 04:13 AM
I just heard breaking news that the creator of COPS, one of my favorite TV shows, was killed in a 300 foot fall while posing for a photo.

Here is the link:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/112763_fall16ww.shtml

:( :( :(

If you enjoyed reading about ""sad -- creator of COPS -- killed"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
outfieldjack
March 16, 2003, 04:27 AM
I really enjoy watching "COPS"

tyme
March 16, 2003, 04:31 AM
No body? Not to add to the grief, but why do reporters call things (deaths, elections) early? Just the facts, Jack.

Braz
March 16, 2003, 04:53 AM
Now that's wierd. Hitchcockesque.

AK103K
March 16, 2003, 09:04 AM
I sorry to hear the boy died, and wouldnt wish that on anyone. But I think the show COPS is nothing more than a propaganda show, telling the average brain dead American TV viewer that you cant win against authority, at any level. Its just constant re-enforcement over and over, a typical propaganda principle. These type shows are more than just simple entertainment, they are a big part of population control.

El Tejon
March 16, 2003, 09:09 AM
Next Fox Special, "When gravity attacks!"

AK103K
March 16, 2003, 09:12 AM
Next Fox Special, "When gravity attacks!"

Now thats funny! :D

twoblink
March 16, 2003, 09:47 AM
I had a friend tell me "You know what I learned from watching the movie "COPS?" I learned that if the helicopter shows up, you are screwed, so if you want to get away, do it before the helo shows up!" heheheh So true!

Sad..

J Miller
March 16, 2003, 09:51 AM
:( My condolences to his family and friends.

But I agree with AK103K.

I watched one episode where this guy was holding an AR7 Suvival rifle and called it a "Hi Capacity Semi Automatic Assult Rifle". My wife can attest to the fact I was ranting about that when she came home.

beckrodgers
March 16, 2003, 10:16 AM
we dont watch it or any uther current cop shows .we have stayed abreast of the militarization of our police forces thru sof mag,guns and ammo, and a couple of others. we are pretty new to the net. we read a lot at keep and bear arms, vin supryno---- sorry he wrote send in the waco killers, i never thought i would find a like minded soul ,any way i read at his site as well. education, determination,faith, firepower. thanks. sorry someone got killed or died before there time,bad on those left behind

dude
March 16, 2003, 10:58 AM
He was not 'killed', he fell and died If someone pushed him off the cliff, then he would have been killed.
...............big difference with the same result!

His death while sad, was more of a failed brain-engagement than anything else.

280PLUS
March 16, 2003, 11:10 AM
The show really does bring to light the stresses put on our police forces but cops I know tell me it takes them a few months of ride alongs to have enough to fill that 22 minutes or so of actual time on the streets you see each week. Or is it an hour show? I used to watch it but not so much any more. I've gotten the impression that some of those guys are hamming it up for the camera a little and sometimes at the expense of the individuals being apprehended.
When I was a kid I spent the summer of '71 with my uncle "Pete" Cuccaro who retired from the Dade County Sheriff's office a few years back. I noticed someone around here is from Miami so you might recognize the name. I believe he is still now chief of the Miami school district police.
Anyhow '71 was his rookie year. I did ride alongs with him, court appearances with him, partied and played cards with him and his cop buddies and their families every week for a whole summer. I knew a lotta cops by the end of the summer. From that time on I've always held a high respect for these people and what they do. And i've found that no matter what the situation, if I treat them with respect they will respond in kind. Actually, I think they get so much crap from people on such a regular basis that when you're actually pleasant to them it throws them off...it's gotten me more than my share of breaks over the years. sorry if I rambled off the path here. and i'm always sorry to hear of any death.

m

Don Gwinn
March 16, 2003, 11:14 AM
J Miller, I agree, but that wasn't COPS. That was "America's Wildest Police Chases." I watched it at my in-laws' house. Luckily I had just finished explaining why 007 probably wouldn't have shot down a helicopter with one, so I just gave them a look and didn't have to explain it again.

Topgun
March 16, 2003, 12:01 PM
Entertaining to some but hugely popular as the "target" audience sees it as "successful law enforcement."

A critical eye can see that it is Jerry Springer in a squad car. The hapless get their day on camera in the trailer park.

No "heavy" crime is depicted as that is complicated law enforcement and quite often determined by who has the geetus to stack a jury or afford a lawyer smarter than the DA.

(OJ)

I use the show as a filler for the odd 12 or 14 minutes before something I want to see is on.

Some is funny, but most is a sad commentary on the state of our poorer segments of "society."

A bad display of our willingness to send beaucoup bucks all over the world and not provide some assistance to our own citizens who are not rocket scientists or brokers.

Meanoldfart
March 16, 2003, 01:12 PM
280plus,
No flame intended, but if you want us to read your post, please learn to capitalize, make paragraphs, and use some form of recognizable grammer.

You seem to be intelligent and I assume that you have something valuable to contribute, but I just can not wade thru that maze.:)
MOF

spacemanspiff
March 16, 2003, 01:21 PM
i really cant see how COPS is just 'propoganda'. i think its a show that had good intentions when it began but its become a showcase for LEO's to show how tough they are, or how intelligent they are, and its diluted the shows intensity.

perhaps the one thing that could be seen as 'propoganda' is the editing and choosing of what footage to use in the show. how often do you see police on the show encountering armed civilians? or when do you see shootouts between badguys and good guys?

most of us have ranted and raved about the blatant ignorance of individual LEO's we watch on the show making false statements about firearms, their lethality, and how they are 'a menace to society'.

the best episode of COPS was when they did the fictional crossover with the X-Files.

rock jock
March 16, 2003, 01:28 PM
A shame. I actually enjoy "Cops". I think some of the officers are posing a little for the cameras, but that happens in every walk of life. Overall, a good show.

Cactus
March 16, 2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by dude:

He was not 'killed', he fell and died If someone pushed him off the cliff, then he would have been killed.
...............big difference with the same result!

Sorry dude, but killed is correct! The fall "killed" him, it did not "die" him.

Now, if someone pushed him off of the cliff, he would have been murdered, but you could still use the word kill. The word kill in this instance is a verb, not a noun, used to indicate the lose of life.

Just want to be precise!
:)

Quantrill
March 16, 2003, 02:49 PM
AK103K has it right!!!! Quantrill

David
March 16, 2003, 02:55 PM
Cactus, I think you are correct...

From my limited knowledge of grammar, "killed" is indeed a verb.

Think about this sentence:

An accident "killed" the producer of the popular TV show COPS.

Just my 2 cents...

CZ-75
March 16, 2003, 03:31 PM
Even worse propaganda than COPS is the John Bunnel hosted FOX specials like "Scariest Police Chases" etc. That guy makes it sound like every cop can drive like Mario Andretti and catch bullets in their teeth. He also glosses over stupid LEO mistakes that often led to the situation being shown or failed to stop it in a reasonable manner. Pretty unsubtle in the "law and order, but cops are special" rhetoric. :barf:

Someone from Portland give me the scoop on this John Bunnel. I remember him on the early days of COPS, when he was a Capt. (?) in the Multnomah Co. sheriff's office, playing to the camera. I guess he became Sheriff, thanks to the publicity, but it wasn't too long afterward that he was hosting FOX specials (= one-termer).

280PLUS
March 16, 2003, 03:34 PM
old fart...this is not a flame back, i'm just sorry my idea of how to post doesn't fit your mold...

:neener:

m

later:

ok, i went back and spruced it up just for you. please feel free to further critique it for me and let me know how i did...

;)

look at that, i went to allll the trouble of making paragraphs and indenting just for oldfart and does it come up, noooooooooo.

:cuss:

LMAO

Keith
March 16, 2003, 03:34 PM
It's a good show if you want to catalogue how many possible phoney "probable cause" excuses a cop can invent when he wants to infringe on somebodies civil liberties.

I've watched the show often enough to harden my attitudes about police in general. Weirdly, cops seem to really like the show, thinking it shows them in a good light...?

I don't blame this guy for any of that - there is certainly no political commentary, he just shows it and it's up to you to draw the lesson.

Keith

Blackhawk
March 16, 2003, 03:36 PM
Sad.

Life's dangerous.... :D

faustulus
March 16, 2003, 03:42 PM
tyme,
No body? Not to add to the grief, but why do reporters call things (deaths, elections) early? Just the facts, Jack.

I couldn't disagree more. Look at the story, the reporter is not saying he is feared dead, she is relating what the Coast guard is saying. This is the way journalism is supposed to work, the writer correctly attributes everything in the story to an official source.

A fall can kill, you don't need a person to kill, just something to to the killing. You can be killed by an rogue bowling ball. And if I recall it can be either transitive or intransitive.

AK103K
March 16, 2003, 03:54 PM
Maybe someone should send this to Sara Brady. She might want to get on it and start a crusade against falls, now we know they are deadly and all. Jeez, they could happen anywhere! No one is safe! Oh, the humanity!! :)

10-Ring
March 16, 2003, 04:06 PM
Condolences :(

280PLUS
March 16, 2003, 04:25 PM
:barf:

my guess is there are plenty more good cops out there than bad ones but all we ever seem to hear about are the bad ones.

kinda like everything else the media portrays for us.

of course, that IS what sells...

the only impression most of us get of the police these days is from COPS and Bunnel and the those kind of programs.

i think the problem i have with these shows is that they come off looking arrogant and thinking they are better than the general public, while in reality most of them are only playing to the camera as someone else mentioned.

i'm talking about real cops, not bunnel

hopefully oldfart can decipher this one...

:D

m

Schuey2002
March 17, 2003, 12:59 AM
He wasn't the first person that has died "falling" off of that cliff, and I'm sure that he won't be the last..:(

Ala Dan
March 17, 2003, 01:01 AM
Very sorry to learn of this tragic event!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Pendragon
March 17, 2003, 03:11 AM
I used to like COPS when I was younger.

Mostly, I wanted to get inside the head of LEOs because I was not able to legally CCW and I was wondering what my chances of getting nabbed were. (answer: nearly zero)

At least on the show, it is 90% them pulling over old crappy cars and talking to the toothless, the shameless, the brainless, etc.

Half the people are on something and voluntarily allow their vehicle to be searched.

If you learn anything from COPS, it should be that "looking" like a criminal/scum/streetwalker/domestic, etc will usually cause you to get lots and lots of attention.

It seems there is so much "obvious" criminal activity in some places that they cops have no time to waste on "normal" looking working class people. The small community I was from has bored cops just looking for a reason to write you up - Sacramento cops will not even look at you unless you are firing from the vehicle or exceeding the speed limit by more than 50 MPH, etc.

cratz2
March 17, 2003, 04:08 AM
I watch very little but the few times I noticed it on, they were usually talking to some inane, uneducated, toothless wonder either selling herself for $35 or listening to how 'that stuff isn't mine'. I wonder how many time an inner city officer hears that line in a year?

Maybe the wool is pulled over my eyes re: civil rights violations but what I usually wondered was how they could get that many stupid people fit into 30 minutes. And how the local chief obviously offered his non-trouble maker officers to be on camera.

Gundog
March 17, 2003, 07:12 AM
I watched Cops for a while, but soon lost interest when I realized that the story was never going to change. Same story, different actors. Repeat ad nauseum.:barf:

Kahr carrier
March 17, 2003, 07:52 AM
Wow thats a shame ,We watch Cops at work it always gives us a good laugh.

Ol' Badger
March 17, 2003, 08:17 AM
Bad Clifts Bad Clifts...
Whatcha going to da when ya fall offa one...

Stu Gotts
March 17, 2003, 10:43 AM
I was living in Portland when Bunnell ran for Sheriff, he lost that election.
He was doing well in the polls when he appeared on a public access show and said," I am not cmofortable with civilians and concealed weapons. Right after that statement his poll numbers dropped! Stu

DCR
March 17, 2003, 11:43 AM
Sad - the show was on many levels a real hoot!

Common themes -

"Name that Fourth Amendment violation..."

"See what happens when you don't remain silent?"

"Are you sure you can outrun that doggie?"

"Tail lights: don't leave home without them"

"Film canisters, Crown Royal bags, and ashtrays are certainly the LAST places the cops will look for my stash, right?"

Viewed correctly, ANYONE can learn from the show. Too bad one of its creative, and instructive voices, is gone.

dance varmint
March 17, 2003, 12:01 PM
It's sad for his fiancee.

I see COPS as a showcase of the stupid getting tripped up by tactics designed for the stupid, such as consenting to a search of their vehicle, or nabbed in prostitution or drug stings. You have to laugh when the cop says "Listen, if you help me I'll help you" and snows the suspect under with false logic about how it's better to fess up now than possibly get busted when they "bring in the dog".

While I'm not even a Libertarian voter, COPS also makes me question the constitutionality of stings where it's the customer that gets busted, rather than the peddler. If the person wasn't soliciting a real prostitute or buying real drugs, I wouldn't vote to convict.

Carlos Cabeza
March 17, 2003, 04:20 PM
That is really sad for his fiance. I like watching Paul's show and got a real laugh out of some of the stops. Man !, the stupidity is rampant on that show............:D I have to say when near a 300 ft. cliff, one should be very CAREFUL ! and heed caution.

If you enjoyed reading about ""sad -- creator of COPS -- killed"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!