Tendonitis + handguns = pain

PDA

PinnedAndRecessed
May 7, 2005, 04:49 PM
I was shooting a Sig 200 and Colt 1911 on a chilly winter day. The first shot's recoil tinged my shooting wrist. I continued shooting and by the end of the session (maybe 200 rounds) both wrists were hurt.

That's been about 5 or 6 months ago. They still hurt periodically.

Does anyone else suffer from this? Is there anything that can be done, such as wrist brace, etc?

Oddly, the Sig hurt more than the Colt. Different ergonomics. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tendonitis + handguns = pain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
May 7, 2005, 05:14 PM
First off, ease up on centerfire shooting for two or three months. If you want to shoot, use .22's. Less recoil is a Good Thing for tendonitis.

Second, by all means use a wrist brace: but even better, for long-term use, is a shooting glove. Try the Uncle Mike's shooting glove: it leaves the tips of your fingers exposed, for better trigger control, and has a gel insert on the middle finger and in the web of the palm, to better absorb recoil. I've used them on numerous week-long shooting courses, firing anything up to 2,000 rounds in a week, and they've kept my hands and wrists in good shape. See here (http://www.michaels-oregon.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=8699781&catky=9251156&subcatky1=4548793&subcatky2=2000085) for details.

PinnedAndRecessed
May 7, 2005, 06:04 PM
Thanx preach. I'm gonna try both wrist brace and the glove. My wrists are better but they still "twinge" periodically. It's like that injury that you know is just waiting to pop up and ruin your day.

:banghead:

DnPRK
May 7, 2005, 08:30 PM
The bore of the SiG sits higher above the hand than the 1911. That induces more torque on the wrist.

Maybe a brace would work with a shooting glove
http://procare.bracesupports.com/wrist-hand%20thumb%20brace.htm

Standing Wolf
May 7, 2005, 08:39 PM
One of the reasons I probably shoot ten or twenty times as many .22s as center fire rounds is that my arthritis prefers the lighter caliber.

Here are a few things I've found that help:

1. Take aspirin before you leave for the range. It's okay to take aspirin after you return home, but it's going to do you more good beforehand.

2. Try an antihistamine. I don't know what the connection is, but it can help.

3. Mix center fire and .22 long rifle rounds. I typically shoot a target with the light stuff, tally my score, shoot ten more center fire rounds, tally my score, and move on to the next target. Switching calibers not only helps reduce flinching, but seems to give my wrist better exercise. Of course, cleaning two guns is twice as much work as one.

4. Try a massage therapist. If I had a nickel back for every dollar I've squandered on M.D.s, pain pills, chiropractors, and all the rest of that bunch, I'd have enough to buy another Python, I'm sure. My massage therapist actually helps.

5. Light exercise. I've avoided it like the plague most of my life. It's finally catching up with me. I didn't say I like it. I just said it's a help.

Best of luck, eh?

c_yeager
May 8, 2005, 04:36 AM
Having had both, that sounds a lot more like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome than tendonitis. Yes, you want a wrist brace, and you should also maybe find an instructor to see if there is anything in your technique that is contributing to it or something you can do to help limit it. It's also possible that it is not caused by shooting. If you spend a lot of time at a keyboard or doing a lot of repititious tasks with your hands that could be the root cause of the problem and it is just becoming more pronounced while your shooting.

Whatever is causing it you should try to address the cause as quickly as possible since it can get progressively worse.

xdoctor
May 8, 2005, 05:00 AM
I had the same sort of problem with a tender shoulder. I couldn't fire my shotgun more than a few rounds and was in a trap league. :uhoh:

So I bought a used stock and the rear shock absorber for a mountain bike. Several hours of sawing, bolting, sanding and finishing later and I had my answer. Full suspension in a 12ga stock. If my camera was working I'd post pics. Shoulder healed long ago, but I still use it like it is, can fire 3" magnum 000 buck all day long without pain. :D

grendelbane
May 8, 2005, 08:12 AM
I hurt my hand, and then aggravated the injury by shooting. The pain was in the palm, right at the base of the thumb. I could still shoot 1911s comfortably, but any wheelgun was painful.

Some one suggested fresh pineapple. I thought it was silly, but since it couldn't hurt, I tried it.

Literally overnight, my hand felt better. That was 3 pineapples ago. I enjoyed an extensive shooting session yesterday, including 2 of my favorite N-frames, a 625, and a 27. I feel just fine today! :)

Next range session I will break out my model 29, which has been retired for several years.

pax
May 8, 2005, 10:02 AM
I had a bout of tendonitis in my elbow this past winter that was so bad I literally could not use my arm for nearly a week. The pain was intense -- it hurt to straighten my arm, it hurt to bend my arm, it hurt to flex my fingers, the whole thing. Doc said nothing wrong but tendonitis.

For about two months, I shot only left handed, at first left hand only and then eventually using my right hand as support hand after my arm began to get better. It still hurts if I fire a lot of rounds, or if I'm shooting something that weighs a lot, or if I neglect my massage & exercise.

Every morning, I've been doing some gentle stretches to keep things from tightening up on me again. Got a friend who does massage therapy, and so I've been getting a massage for the area at least once a week -- for awhile there, it was every couple of days. The massage hurts like ... well, it hurts. But afterwards everything feels a lot better and makes the painful massage worth it.

What you don't want to do is what I did that got me into the mess to begin with. I woke up one morning last fall with my arm a little sore, and I ignored it as it gradually got worse. I kept shooting my usual high number of rounds. I didn't change anything that had contributed to the tendonitis, just assumed things would get better on their own. When it got painful enough, I simply stopped using that arm entirely, which sounds like a good idea only it gave a chance for everything to seize up in there because I didn't stretch it out at all, ever. Now it's probably going to take another couple months or more before it heals up completely.

If I had it to do over, I'd've started the massage therapy the day I woke up with it stiff & sore, and would have continued using my arm enough to keep it limber without putting it under the stress of high round counts for awhile. I think those two things together would have saved me a lot of grief.

pax

wrench
May 8, 2005, 03:03 PM
Some one suggested fresh pineapple. I thought it was silly, but since it couldn't hurt, I tried it.

???? do you eat the pineapple, or apply it to your hand????? :confused:

caz223
May 8, 2005, 03:16 PM
No,.... he means in your drink.... j/k

grendelbane
May 8, 2005, 03:55 PM
No doubt pineapple in your drink would do the trick. :)

I actually considered that approach, at one time.

Right now, I believe that a slice of fresh pineapple. (1/2" thick), eaten 2 to 3 times a week will do the trick. Maybe less will. I have not been experimenting that long.

Try it! I have seen a few recipes for drinks containing pineapple and rum. The blender sits unused in the corner of the kitchen. I see no reason why a pineapple drink would not work. It needs to be fresh pineapple, pasteurization destroys the enzyme. Or so they tell me.

Cheers! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Tendonitis + handguns = pain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!