ANNOUNCEMENT: Welcome! Please read before posting.

PDA

Oleg Volk
December 24, 2002, 01:12 PM
Dear friend,

On Christmas Eve 2002, The High Road forum opened. As it joins the other fine forums on the Internet, I'd like to explain the vision behind it. You may find the sources of inspiration for this forum very familiar.

The High Road was established by a group of enthusiasts from The Firing Line (http://www.thefiringline.com) (1998-2002), which was in its day the premier firearms forum on the Internet. We all benefited greatly from the accumulated wisdom and knowledge on that forum, which is still available in archived form. With this new forum, we hope to continue and improve upon the very high standards set there. The last four years brought us together. Now that we have gathered in strength, let's consider the future.

"Today, we carve our own omens" King Leonidas, at Thermopylae

This forum is dedicated to the advancement of our civil rights, including the essential right to keep and bear arms. While the absence of personal arms is a sure road to subjugation, merely having guns won't miraculously guarantee our civil rights. With that in mind, we ought to coordinate pro-RKBA activism with efforts to reduce the scope and the intensity of government control over our lives in general.

"An armed society is a polite society." R.A.Heinlein

I'd like The High Road to be a living proof of that assertion. A diverse crowd, we will never agree on all particulars, but we must agree on the guiding principle of our interactions on this forum: live and let live. Just as warriors on a mission, we cannot afford a squabble in our midst. When disagreeing the the goals or methods of your fellow forum members, please debate their ideas and not their mental competency or the legitimacy of their birth. Certain topics, such as religion and voting strategies, are very likely to engage strong emotions on all sides. Tread lightly on the sensibilities of other forum members, and be forgiving if something comes off as offensive to you. Chances are, no one was out to offend you personally -- and even if they were, rise above petty squabbling.

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." J.R.R.Tolkien

Our family members and friends ought to be our allies. Bring new folks, even those opposed to our goals but capable of reasoning, to this forum. The erudite and respectful discussions ought to impress them favorably. That is the other reason for requesting conduct becoming a polite society -- for the benfit of those who lurk at the edges of our campfire, looking in and wondering who we are.

"Take The High Road!" R.Lucibella

Make us proud of providing the venue for your contact with the other like-minded people. As you enjoy the forum, please remember all those who made it possible. This site exists through the immediate support of its members, and -- in a broader sense -- through the efforts of all those who fought for liberty in the past.

Oleg Volk, on behalf of The High Road staff.

If you enjoyed reading about "ANNOUNCEMENT: Welcome! Please read before posting." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
redhead
December 24, 2002, 07:19 PM
Thank you, all who worked on building this site. I appreciate the hard work and effort that went into this. I'm sure this will grow to be a special place for those of us who enjoy talking about firearms, rights, legalities, technical issues, etc. Here's to happy posting!

Merry Christmas!

Iggy
December 24, 2002, 08:00 PM
Thanks to all involved in providing this forum..

It looks great.. Look forward to many hours of learning and enjoyment..

Thanks again..

telewinz
December 24, 2002, 08:36 PM
Hope this works out great, anything I can do just ask:)

telewinz
December 24, 2002, 09:02 PM
I feel at home already. Thanks and Merry Christmas:)

aikidoka-mks
December 24, 2002, 09:07 PM
A very sincere thank you to all who were involved in making this happen!

Merry Christmas

Mark

Greybeard
December 24, 2002, 09:12 PM
"The High Road" ... great choice. Looking forward to contributing to keeping it that way. Thanks to all for the efforts to date. + Happy Holidays! :cool:

berettaman
December 24, 2002, 09:32 PM
Congrats!!and Merry Christmas.

El Tejon
December 24, 2002, 09:33 PM
Thank you for your hard work.

NewShooter78
December 24, 2002, 09:35 PM
I'm glad that we finally have a new home. Thanks Oleg!

Standing Wolf
December 24, 2002, 09:48 PM
Thank you!

Wade
December 24, 2002, 10:01 PM
Oleg,

From one Tennessean to another, THANKS!! :)

Homeseller
December 24, 2002, 10:06 PM
Thanks for a new home on the web!

Fomer Tfl'er. Mostly lurked and learned!

:)

Felonious Monk
December 24, 2002, 10:12 PM
Looks like the vision has expanded some from TFL; this can be a magnificent thing, if we apply the same courtesies when discussing other issues of freedom and responsibility as was the case re: RKBA at TFL.

My concern is that the mods and admins NOT bite off more than you can chew; to wit, let someone know BEFORE you're in self-destruct sequence, hating the thought of logging on and refereeing all of us neanderthals. This is a community, and as such, we all need to find a place to contribute, whether that be time, money, expertise, or just an encouraging "Thank You" to those who are maintaining the infrastructure.

To those who are maintaining the infrastructure:
a sincere Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

FM

Stephen A. Camp
December 24, 2002, 10:16 PM
Hello. Sincere thanks.

Best.

Don45cal
December 24, 2002, 10:23 PM
Second post on saying Thank you for this site!!!!!!

Ron L
December 24, 2002, 10:24 PM
Oleg, as always, GREAT JOB! Congrats on getting things together so well, so quickly.

The holidays will be happier knowing that the TFL family will still be around. Hey, we've all been adopted by Oleg! :D

Cal4D4
December 24, 2002, 10:27 PM
Merry Christmas Oleg. Hope this task doesn't take too much from your artwork.

GhostShooter
December 24, 2002, 10:32 PM
Thx Oleg, and Merry Christmas.

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/2M16.gif

2nd Amendment
December 24, 2002, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the new digs, Oleg. Merry Christmas and if I can assist at all, let me know. I'm not without a few online resources at this point, including T1's and lots of server space. I even have techies to explain all the stuff I don't understand(ok, so they do a LOT of 'splainin').

clem
December 24, 2002, 10:35 PM
Oleg,

Thank you and Merry Christmass

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI
December 24, 2002, 10:41 PM
A Million Thanks, Oleg. Please let me know how I can help. Howdy everyone! How does it feel to meet here "on the other side of the void" ? Well, my old username wouldn't quite fit. (Just 3 more letters is all I ask!) MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!! God Bless you one and all.

Dan Morris
December 24, 2002, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all your efforts.
Merry Christmas
Dan

Brad
December 24, 2002, 10:48 PM
Oleg,

You did a good thing! TFL closing was a shock to the system, but this certainly eases the pain. All the best and thanks for your hard work.

mrsMTN
December 24, 2002, 10:52 PM
Very excellent job, Oleg. A lovely gift to us all!

dd-b
December 24, 2002, 10:57 PM
Gee, looks mighty familiar.

Looking forward to hanging around a while longer (together).

3 gun
December 24, 2002, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the nice Christmas gift. Hope I can re-pay you for your efforts during my stay. Thanks again, Mark. (3 gun)

Killians97
December 24, 2002, 11:15 PM
Thank God there is a forum to go to! I started shaking like I did when I quit smoking when I first read that TFL was going away. Again, thank you Oleg.
Killians97

blades67
December 24, 2002, 11:20 PM
What a great X-mas gift!:cool:

Lennyjoe
December 24, 2002, 11:24 PM
Outstanding. Thanks Oleg, best Christmas gift I recieved this year.

Giant
December 24, 2002, 11:38 PM
Thank you to all who made it happen. Seeing this makes me even more aware of whatever road we may take, whether it be high or some other, we will all arrive together in defense of our great country, The United States of America.

Giant

Stephen Ewing
December 24, 2002, 11:41 PM
Eloquence fails me occasionally. The important part is that you folks have my thanks, and my admiration.

Steve

Legionnaire
December 24, 2002, 11:41 PM
Oleg, et al,

Let me add my word of thanks as well. I'm sure you and the staff have put in many hours to make The High Road a reality in such short order. Kudos all around.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

GoldenLoki
December 24, 2002, 11:42 PM
"The High Road". Love the name, hope I can do my part to live up to it.

Thank you, to all those who made it happen... and all those who will contribute to make it what I know it will become.

GL

ExpatGator
December 24, 2002, 11:58 PM
It is about five minutes to midnight, the kids are tucked into their beds, the wife just finished putting the last of Santa's gifts under the tree, I just wiped out the last cookie on the Santa plate and swilled all but the last of the quickly souring milk, yuk!

I also just finished registering and wanted to say thanks to all who have contributed their time and effort for this cause and to commend you on your selflessness. It is a great endeavor, and I am proud to be a part of it. Thanks again, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone and to all, a good night.

rock jock
December 25, 2002, 12:03 AM
I was about a year late for the birth of TFL. I am glad I am here today at the outset of THR to hopefully see a forum that will exceed the great goals reached at our predecessor site.

tcdrennen
December 25, 2002, 12:23 AM
Thanks, Oleg!

ed dixon
December 25, 2002, 12:37 AM
Congratulations and thanks. Happy holidays to us all.

RON in PA
December 25, 2002, 12:41 AM
Thanks for your time and effort in getting this new home on the web.

Much success.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

PATH
December 25, 2002, 12:43 AM
Thank You! Oleg this is one of the best gifts I have gotten this Christmas! It looks like the gang is still here. I hope the rest join us soon!:)

Calamity Jane
December 25, 2002, 12:50 AM
How exciting to be a part, from its beginnings, of what I'm sure will become the premier firearms forum.

Thank you, Oleg and crew, for providing this wonderful new 'net home and gathering place for all of us who cherish our precious freedoms.

And Merriest of Merry Christmases to all! :)

agony
December 25, 2002, 01:04 AM
I hope to make thehighroad my new home. Thanks to Oleg and everyone for making this possible.

joe4702
December 25, 2002, 02:22 AM
Most excellent!

Merry Christmas all

4570Rick
December 25, 2002, 02:39 AM
Thank you Kind Sir.

Merry Christmas to you and all who dwell or lurk here.

WhoKnowsWho
December 25, 2002, 02:39 AM
Thanks for coming together and doing this forum. I feel more at home here than trying to browse 4 different sites a day, now I can come here everyday and check the other 4 and pass along information from here once a week. :)

BamBam-31
December 25, 2002, 02:51 AM
Excellent site, Oleg!!

It's a proud tradition you're carrying on. Hold the torch high!

citizen
December 25, 2002, 03:36 AM
OLEG, once again; YOU DA' MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

johnr
December 25, 2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Oleg Volk
A diverse crowd, we will never agree on all particulars, but we must agree on the guiding principle of our interactions on this forum: live and let live. [/I]

That's the way I conduct my own life...

Oleg, I appreciate your ( and others ) efforts to get this board up and running. Thanks, and Merry Christmas, from my small family to you and all those near to you.

Min
December 25, 2002, 05:28 AM
I was a member of TFL under a different username, but I registered today here.

I am a firearms enthusiast, and look forward to more discussions. It's great that there is such camaraderie among thefiringline members that this site feels like it's just a continuation of TFL.

My thanks to Oleg Volk and others who made this site happen. It looks great!

jimmy
December 25, 2002, 07:19 AM
Many thanks!

TimH
December 25, 2002, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the Christmas Gift Oleg.

NoBite
December 25, 2002, 08:12 AM
Thanks, Oleg. I look forward to a warm cubbyhole, a place to learn and share ideas. Your efforts to provide such a place are most appreciated!

RustyHammer
December 25, 2002, 08:38 AM
BZ to all!

Scarecrow
December 25, 2002, 09:00 AM
Yay!! Things are looking up! I was saddened when I learned of T.F.L.'s passing. Now I have a new home to hang my hat. A heartfelt Thank You to Oleg and all who have made this possible. Much gratitude, dude! Thanks again, take care, Mikey

Cliff
December 25, 2002, 09:25 AM
While sorry to see TFL go, I'm glad to see "The Highroad.org" open with the purpose,drive,and dedacation that was a mark of TFL. I was cliff715 over at TFL, and I'm proud to sign on as a new member here. Thanks for another much needed pro gun forum.

braindead0
December 25, 2002, 09:26 AM
More thanks for Oleg... if you folks need any help around here let me know...

I guess Gun-Talk isn't going to get quite as much activity anymore ;-)

mt_goodrich
December 25, 2002, 09:51 AM
I wasn't a big poster over at TFL, but I certainly was sure to check in everyday.

Thanks for having another site for us to go to.

2dogs
December 25, 2002, 10:06 AM
Thank you Oleg and all who put this together.

Looks like a real nice place to be.

Merry Christmas to all.

CWAdams
December 25, 2002, 10:21 AM
I'm here from TFL, too -- Thanks!!! Oleg.

WilderBill
December 25, 2002, 10:23 AM
Thanks to Oleg and all concerned. This is my best Christmas present this year! :cool: :D

enichols
December 25, 2002, 10:42 AM
Thanks so much for the new home.

matis
December 25, 2002, 11:16 AM
Two weeks ago I was kinda lost; now I am found again!

Sincere thanks to Rich Lucibella and the Mods for the great TFL, and to Oleg Volk and all the others who labored to bring us Son of TFL.

With a bunch like this we're sure to continue on the high road.

Matis

Spackler
December 25, 2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks to Oleg. It's nice to be here.

JHP147
December 25, 2002, 12:22 PM
Thanks to everyone who is making it work here.
It was really nice to see all the familiar names down at the bottom of the page.

webley455
December 25, 2002, 12:32 PM
Thank-you and avery Merry Christmas toall.:D

JMax
December 25, 2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks Oleg & Staff.
:D

JMax

ralphtt
December 25, 2002, 12:59 PM
Nice Christmas gift for all of us!

Thanks, :)

teombe
December 25, 2002, 01:13 PM
Thanks Oleg & Crew...

I really appreciate your contribution to the firearm owners of the USA and the rest of the planet. Let me know if there's anything I can do. I never posted a ton on TFL, but it's a site I checked like 4 or 5 times a day. I intend to do the same here... :D

coonan357
December 25, 2002, 01:14 PM
Thanks to you all for such fine work in such a short time .

magyars4
December 25, 2002, 01:40 PM
Thank you so very nuch for going thru all the gyrations to produce this great new board for us....You are a true gentleman!!!

Alan Fud
December 25, 2002, 01:40 PM
Oleg, very nice site that you have here. I wish you lots of luck with it. Alan Fud.

Waitone
December 25, 2002, 03:12 PM
Many thanks to Oleg!

J Miller
December 25, 2002, 03:38 PM
Oleg and all,

Thanks for the new forum.
I was only a new member of The Firing Line, just getting used to everyone, when the announcement came in. It was like having something you just recieved taken away.
I regestered here as a member.

Thanks again.

J

PDshooter
December 25, 2002, 04:03 PM
Glad to have found this site!

Erik
December 25, 2002, 04:41 PM
Answering your 'welcome' with a heart felt 'glad to be here.'

Drjones
December 25, 2002, 05:47 PM
This is just like TFL, only with a more tactical color scheme!!! :D

Thanks Oleg and everyone else, and have the best holiday EVER!!!

You just made my holiday!!!! :D

I'm so happy to see all the familiar people here!!!

The Doctor is IN THE HOUSE!!!
Drjones

Chugach
December 25, 2002, 05:56 PM
Oleg, Runt, and all the other staff that have worked to make this possible:

Thank you sincerely for preserving the community, and let me know how I can help.

Maddock
December 25, 2002, 06:18 PM
Thanks to Oleg and all those who helped to bring The HighRoad about.
May we all make it a worthy successor to TFL.

Fabrat
December 25, 2002, 07:32 PM
Thanks to all who pulled together to open this new venue. I'm pleased to be here with all those folks who I recognize from TFL.

Best regards, Fabrat

DaHaMac
December 25, 2002, 08:12 PM
Thanks to everyone who is responsible for making this forum happen.

I was shocked to learn of TFL's passing and today I was overjoyed to hear that the TFL crew has a new home on the web.

Wonderful speech Oleg, and inspiring. I look forward to spending many hours reading The High Road and enjoying the informative cordial discussion regarding RKBA and Firearms that is the legacy of TFL. I didn't post alot on TFL but was always watching and resourcing, and I am sure the same will be the case here.

Thanks again,
Daniel

mara5
December 25, 2002, 08:52 PM
Thanks Mr. Volk. Hopefully your endeavor will be sucessful. Looking forward to many years of enjoyment,and hopefully will be able to contribute.

Dogsoldier
December 25, 2002, 10:03 PM
Thanks to all that were involved in putting this place together. I was worried when TFL announced it was shutting down. You folks show there is still hope out there. If you need any help, you have my elmail address.

knowledgegreen
December 25, 2002, 10:16 PM
Thanks Oleg and all the others who were behind the scenes! I know without a doubt this is going to be a great forum! Woo hoo!:D

HarryB
December 25, 2002, 10:40 PM
Its great to be here! Thanks to all who have made this possible.

RangerGrant
December 25, 2002, 11:01 PM
Another TFL'er reporting in PCS. Thanks to all involved for providing a new home! I hope to learn as much here as I did at TFL.

Best, RG

hansolo
December 25, 2002, 11:15 PM
The HIGHROAD.org is TFL evolved!

Thanks and congratulations! We all have a new home! Lest we forget our Genesis, a HUGE pat on the back to Rich Lucibella, et al.

Happy New Home to all!:cool:

Chipperman
December 25, 2002, 11:17 PM
Thanks to all. It's great that a lot of the crowd is coming right over. :D

V-fib
December 25, 2002, 11:24 PM
Another thanks to Oleg and all for making this happen!:cool:

M58
December 25, 2002, 11:26 PM
Looks very nice.
Especially like the color and clean format.

jiggs
December 25, 2002, 11:40 PM
The site is good looking and growing fast, Good Luck

rugerfreak
December 25, 2002, 11:40 PM
THANK YOU--THANK YOU--THANK YOU

I'm home again and it feels good.

philhir
December 25, 2002, 11:57 PM
Thanks Oleg. Now I don't have to worry about going thru withdrawl.

dave
December 26, 2002, 12:16 AM
Thank you for the site.

And I agree with the opening statement. We can disagree all we want, it's in our nature. But let's do so in a proper manner. To do otherwise only gives those who wish us to fail, the ammo they need.

Merry Christmas to all.

J.D.Locke
December 26, 2002, 12:20 AM
Thanks to everyone who worked so hard in getting this forum up and running!Merry Christmas everybody.

wendy
December 26, 2002, 01:27 AM
I was a member and mostly a lurker at TFL, but I learned a lot. I was glad to read that Oleg wanted to continue and expand TFL. The board looks great! Congrats on getting it up and running so fast and Good Luck! Merry Christmas to all. :)

Drjones
December 26, 2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by dave
Thank you for the site.

And I agree with the opening statement. We can disagree all we want, it's in our nature. But let's do so in a proper manner. To do otherwise only gives those who wish us to fail, the ammo they need.

Merry Christmas to all.

Ditto.

We need to remember what made TFL so special to us: We ALWAYS took the High Road. Always.

I never thought I'd actually get *attached* to an ONLINE FORUM! Sheesh...I used to think people like that were just lonely, crazy, computer-geek idiots!!!

But with how much I've learned on TFL, all the valuable ideas exchanged in such a civil manner...it really became a part of my life. Seriously.

To all the familiar faces: We know the drill.

To all the newbies: If you want to run with the Big Dogs, act like one.

That, and newbies buy the beer and ammo!!!! :D :p

Drjones

MitchSchaft
December 26, 2002, 01:48 AM
I used to think people like that were just lonely, crazy, computer-geek idiots!!!

You, too, eh? :o

Bushrat
December 26, 2002, 02:36 AM
Thank you for continuing the vision of TFL. Have a Very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!

Glock_17
December 26, 2002, 03:12 AM
Thank you for the new forum, I feel at home already! :)

Happy New Year to everyone!

Arcane
December 26, 2002, 04:18 AM
Thanks to Oleg and everyone who made this happen.
Now lets start planning the first annual Highroad get together/shootout/Bar-B-Q. :)

tlhelmer
December 26, 2002, 08:06 AM
Thanks for giving us another home. Look forward to talking on line with old and new friends.:)

Bottom Gun
December 26, 2002, 09:06 AM
I'd like to use my first post here to say "Thanks" to Oleg and all the staff who worked hard and, through their efforts, made it possible for TFL members to stay together.

Folks, my hat is off to you.

Best wishes,

Ken

Rowdy1
December 26, 2002, 10:10 AM
Thanks alot for setting this site up so fast!

NINEX19
December 26, 2002, 10:25 AM
I know it has been said many times before, and I hope you don't get tired of it, but I also wish to extend my gratitude Oleg and all the staff for their work and dedication.

I have learned more from the year and a half that I read TFL, than in the rest of my time as a gun owner.

I know it will not stop there and this forum will pick up where that left off and I will continue to learn and share.

seeker_two
December 26, 2002, 11:29 AM
What a great Christmas present.

Thanks Oleg! :D

BlackJack
December 26, 2002, 11:33 AM
Blagodaryu vas ochen! I s novim godom!!

justice4all
December 26, 2002, 11:55 AM
Thanks all.

gbelleh
December 26, 2002, 11:59 AM
Great site Oleg!

Thanks for carrying on the tradition of TFL and providing another great place for us all to have fun and learn!

BeauBeaux
December 26, 2002, 12:24 PM
All the best too The High Road. "Live long and prosper".

waynzwld
December 26, 2002, 12:38 PM
Thanks for giving us all a new home. :)

JCOJR
December 26, 2002, 12:44 PM
Oleg, and all the others that made this possibe, Thank you. It's good to see all the familar faces.

Marshall
December 26, 2002, 12:59 PM
Thank you for producing this site Oleg!:)

Marshall

ruger357
December 26, 2002, 01:16 PM
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevinch
December 26, 2002, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the new home folks - it's great to be here!

Lotzinger
December 26, 2002, 02:21 PM
many thanks oleg !

Russ
December 26, 2002, 02:36 PM
You have made my life much happier! Thanks

Penman
December 26, 2002, 02:44 PM
Home for the Holidays! Thank you to everyone who contributed to this site.

Snakeshot
December 26, 2002, 03:31 PM
Thanks for starting the new site!

I hope to spend a lot of quality time here.

nanzano
December 26, 2002, 03:33 PM
Oleg,
Thanks for picking up the ball. The site looks great.

Nick

Trisha
December 26, 2002, 03:50 PM
Outstanding!

"I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence I would advise violence."

Mohandas Gandhi

I anticipate courage and heart and intelligence and humor and countless stories based on personal experience here - and as all venues and perspectives will likely arise from ordinary Americans (in fact or in spirit), it is quite possible the Liberal Socialist Democrat will see us as "violent," at least in marked contrast to their hedonistic-at-any-price abdicatory fantasy.

And we are the most non-violent of all, for we value life and liberty like on other Nation on earth!

Hello!

Trisha

Diesle
December 26, 2002, 03:59 PM
Good luck Oleg and Co.. Ill be checking in.

Diesle

JackShandy
December 26, 2002, 04:04 PM
As I come stumbling in near last, I must say "The High Road" is the perfect, most suitable name possible. I look forward to shaking the "New" member tag once and for all!
Good job, all!

KevlarTester
December 26, 2002, 06:08 PM
Thanks Oleg!

Looks like a smooth transition.

Wow, it seems like it was done without skipping a beat.
You worked pretty hard to pull it off so quickly, Great job!

I think I'll start my own web site just for the fun of it!

nascarnhlnra
December 26, 2002, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the new home away from home Oleg !

bad_dad_brad
December 26, 2002, 07:09 PM
Hoorah! I had over 800 posts on TFL. Looks like I have some work to do!

Thanks Oleg and everyone else involved in this new endevour. And of course let's not forget Rich for TFL. He was after all the orginal inspiration.

Butch
December 26, 2002, 07:41 PM
God , I love you people!:)

Mr Jody Hudson
December 26, 2002, 07:56 PM
Thank you Oleg and thanks to all who are helping you to put this all together!

krept
December 26, 2002, 08:33 PM
:D thanks

ninenot
December 26, 2002, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the site.

May you, Oleg, and ALL the staffers enjoy a most blessed New Year--you all sure made Christmas merry for us TFL alumni!!

Best Wishes.

BTW: there's a Tolkien quote above, to the effect that it is not the swords, knives, or rifles which he loves--rather, it is what they defend that he loves.

Same thought was in Chesterton: he approached it in discussing war and stated that it was not that the soldier hated what was in front of him (the enemy) rather, that the soldier loves what is behind him (the homeland, the family.)

Thus, war is NOT an act of hatred, but of love.

Interesting take, I think.

Shane
December 26, 2002, 09:59 PM
Great. Glad to see that TFL lives on in a new form.

trapshooter
December 26, 2002, 10:26 PM
Howdy, all. Back from up north. My first post here. Hey, Oleg! (And all the help) Nice place! Are we having fun yet?

dfariswheel
December 26, 2002, 10:32 PM
Thanks Oleg.The Firing Line was the classiest forum on the web, and this looks to be a worthy successor.

grampster
December 26, 2002, 11:13 PM
Thanks for taking the torch, Oleg. I have gone from being dark and moodily depressed with the loss of TFL, to happy and pleased with the torch passing and the creation of The Highroad.

Looking forward to seeing familiar folks and new ones too.

Grampster:D

Big_R
December 27, 2002, 03:38 AM
I was more of a lurker than anything else at TFL, and intend to be here also. I'll throw in an opinion when I can add something of value.

Ryan

stans
December 27, 2002, 07:56 AM
I just came over from The Firing Line. I lurked there quite a bit, posted when I thought it was appropriate. I see a number of familiar names here and I am looking forward to the same high quality discussions.

John/az
December 27, 2002, 10:10 AM
I'm glad to find a new home!

Thanks, Oleg! :)

BigEd
December 27, 2002, 11:38 AM
Thanks to all who created and participate on this forum. It has been a while since I could post much on any forum and came back to find many going, gone or inactive. This site has the potential to be great. Thanks again, Ed

stubby
December 27, 2002, 11:43 AM
I look forward to the contiuing "high road" of firearms discussion. :)

Big Al
December 27, 2002, 12:18 PM
FIRST POST - IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK!

SteelyDan
December 27, 2002, 12:39 PM
My thanks to all who helped to make this possible.

MLH
December 27, 2002, 12:40 PM
I was wondering if we could get a pool up on how long it takes C.R.Sam to become the #1 poster.:D

Cabby
December 27, 2002, 12:54 PM
It's nice to be home again.:)
Cabby

RobW
December 27, 2002, 01:29 PM
Like Cabby said, and, a lot of thanks to Oleg and all the moderators. Have a nice, healthy and SUCCESSFUL New Year!

The site looks GREAT.

buzz_knox
December 27, 2002, 01:41 PM
Thanks, Oleg and crew. It's starting to feel like home already.

glockten
December 27, 2002, 05:16 PM
Thanks, Oleg and staff, for all your efforts. I'm glad to be here.

Happy New Year, everyone.

VaughnT
December 27, 2002, 06:32 PM
Well, here's my third post and the third time I've said thanks. I completely agree with the THR Statement of Purpose and look forward to many long evenings in front of the computer, reading a good post or two.

HukeOKC
December 27, 2002, 08:54 PM
Wow, that was fast! I just got here but it looks great so far.

To all who made it possible, Thanks!!

El Rojo
December 27, 2002, 08:59 PM
I just need to check in real quick before I start playing Operation Flashpoint for a few hours. Thanks Oleg and all others who made this happen.

PS: I only have one post!!! :(

Ebbtide
December 27, 2002, 09:03 PM
I don't think I can thank you enough, Oleg.

Once Again,

Thank you!!!

amprecon
December 27, 2002, 09:58 PM
There were many forums suggested to visit in place of TFL, this one seems to mirror it pretty well so I registered here.
I knew TFL would be sorely missed and that it wouldn't be long before someone created a replacement. Good job and thank you.

voilsb
December 28, 2002, 12:56 AM
thanks a ton for opening this up. I was shocked to hear TFL was closing, and am glad someone with the time, energy, experience, ability, and desire opened up a successor

45-auto
December 28, 2002, 01:13 AM
Thanks, again. . .this is my second post here.

I hope you're a speed reader! This place got busy fast.

Best wishes.

voilsb
December 28, 2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by 45-auto
Thanks, again. . .this is my second post here.

I hope you're a speed reader! This place got busy fast.

Best wishes.

haha! so it did. think it might have been all the old-time TLFers who wanted to hit their 1000 post mark again as quickly as possible?

1goodshot
December 28, 2002, 06:56 AM
Im starting to feel better already. Thanks

gorf
December 28, 2002, 10:14 AM
I'm happy to be on 'The High Road'! Happy New Year and thank you!:)

Mr. Hankey
December 28, 2002, 01:33 PM
The spirit lives on.

Thanks

FPrice
December 28, 2002, 01:39 PM
The opening of The High Road is a monumental event for two (and probably more) reasons. The first is that it provides a continuing forum for those of us like-minded people to discuss, argue, reason, and otherwise exchange information in a supportive environment. The second is that it proves something about the love of liberty. When one standard bearer (Rich Lucibella in this case) has to pass the torch, there exists another person to take that torch and run with it.

You are to be commended for taking the torch.

ReadyontheRight
December 28, 2002, 01:57 PM
Oleg -- Thank you for continuing the tradition! While it's too bad that TFL is closing down, this site looks like it is already well on it's way to becoming an excellent replacement.

I seem to remember from previous posts that you have ties to Minnesota. I'm based in Minneapolis and I do Product Development, PR and Marketing work. If you ever have need of my services to help out with THR or any other RKBA projects, please let me know if I can help. I can donate time for strategy development to stuffing envelopes and anything in between.

-ReadyontheRight-
AKA 11.43x23 on TFL

dairycreek
December 28, 2002, 02:19 PM
Sure is good to see so many familiar names among the members. My thanks in advance to all who helped develop this site. Good shooting:)

Lancel
December 28, 2002, 03:18 PM
Oleg,

TFL set a such standard of interaction that it became the first forum I've joined in 25+ years of computing.:)

THR is continuing the trend.:D

Kudos and Thanks,
Larry

MR.G
December 28, 2002, 03:26 PM
Thank You!

Sarge
December 28, 2002, 04:17 PM
No text

Hand_Rifle_Guy
December 28, 2002, 04:42 PM
Here at last.

Good on yer!

The future is less dim.

BiG_MaN
December 28, 2002, 04:55 PM
Looking forward to our collective future together.

OF
December 28, 2002, 07:55 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAW!

...and everything old is new again.

- Gabe

armabill
December 28, 2002, 10:31 PM
Thanks for continuing.

OkieGentleman
December 28, 2002, 11:19 PM
Thanks for setting up a new place for us old F**Ts to go!Let us know if you start to burn out and maybe some of us can take up some of the slack!! Thanks again for seting up this new site.:)

Mark IV Series 80
December 29, 2002, 01:03 AM
Thank you Oleg, and everyone else responsible for creating this new site.

We had a big void to fill...... and we are well on our way.

2speed
December 29, 2002, 02:54 AM
Oleg,

It looks like you're on a roll! I just joined and started reading the posts in this thread. When I started reading there were five pages; when I started typing this post there were seven pages.

I was new at TFL and lurked around the edges trying to catch up on the information I found there. I'll try to contribute more to The High Road.

Congratulations and well done Sir!

2speed

Diane
December 29, 2002, 07:48 AM
I'm still kinda a novice at shooting, and have learned so much
from TFL. I'm so glad The High Road will be around, to continue my education.

Diane

GnL
December 29, 2002, 11:37 AM
Excellent.

Skullboy
December 29, 2002, 12:39 PM
Just transfered over from the TFL site.This one sure looks good!My thanks to all who made this happen.

Skullboy.

reload
December 29, 2002, 12:53 PM
just caught up with you all from TFL. after the shock wore off i was happy to see the formation of the next generation of an important part of our lives. I was not and am not an avid poster, more of a lurker, but will lend any help you desire or need.

regards, reload

PUMC_TomG
December 29, 2002, 01:34 PM
Phew... I feel like I'm in the rear with the gear... but I'm finally here!

Thanks for opening up a new site Oleg! I was pretty nervous first time I saw that post by Rich...

See ya all on the boards!

Tim Schlosser
December 29, 2002, 01:43 PM
Great job, Thank you very much. Let me know if I can do anything with my resources. Looking forward to many happy posts.

HBAR & grille
December 29, 2002, 02:18 PM
whew! Glad I found everyone...

I didnt' know what I was going to do during break at work!

Sparker
December 29, 2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by HBAR & grille
whew! Glad I found everyone...

Me too!

COK
December 29, 2002, 02:54 PM
Thanks, I am looking forward to all the great information to be found here.

B9mmHP
December 29, 2002, 03:52 PM
Thanks, Oleg and all those that made this happen.:D

kalibear45
December 29, 2002, 08:33 PM
COOL NAME! :p

MedCop
December 29, 2002, 10:54 PM
Thought I would also check in. I want to support the RKBA, and joining another board helps do that!

MedCop

emann
December 29, 2002, 11:18 PM
Alright this makes losing TFL just a little easier. Thanks for another great site to frequent. ;)

AmericanFreeBird
December 30, 2002, 02:50 PM
Thanks Oleg! This IS going to be a happy new year. I was really down about TFL closing and logged in today to find this new site!

RandyC
December 30, 2002, 04:44 PM
Thanks, Oleg.

I look forward to spending time here. It already feels comfortable.

shu
December 31, 2002, 04:19 AM
thank you for your service to the nation ...

doctorj
December 31, 2002, 09:25 AM
I know I speak for many of us "transfers" from TFL when I say that The High Road is doing a great job of minimizing the pain of transition. Many thanks to those who felt that the TFL spiirit was worth keeping alive!

Matt Wallis
December 31, 2002, 09:47 AM
I was so disappointed when I found out TFL was closing that I actually surprised myself! Fortunately, my disappointment has turned to relief now that this site has opened. My thanks to everyone who puts in their time, effort and money so that people like me can "surf" such a wonderful place.

Regards,
Matt

dav
December 31, 2002, 01:41 PM
"It's like coming home, only to a place you've never been before"

Proud TFL Alumnus, and glad to be here

Robby from Long Island
December 31, 2002, 06:19 PM
I was really amazed at how disappointed I was to hear The Firing Line was to be no more.

I have spent the last few days trying to find another forum that I could relate to without any real luck. Just a few minutes ago found "The High Road" and can't tell you how relieved I am. It's just like a continuation of that other great forum, but without ever having left.

Thanks Oleg, for the great job you have done putting this together.

While I was never a great contributor to TFL, was never made to feel like a lurker either. Looking forward to many great hours with you guys.

Safe shooting.:)

BlackArrow
December 31, 2002, 10:38 PM
My first post and I have nothing significant to say. Miss TFL but glad the core is here. I'm not using the same handle I had at TFL but see most are. Glad to be here and let's hope I learn from and help others as on TFL. Cool smilies, need a "crying faced smiley":cuss: :ar15:

SXSMAN
December 31, 2002, 10:59 PM
I'm still waiting on that 5 bucks you told me I'd get by registering!

PS, Nice site.
Question,who buying?;)

g32
December 31, 2002, 11:23 PM
I'm impressed with the quick set up of this site. Thanks to all who produced this fine site.

islander-11
January 1, 2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks to all who have worked hard to get THR off the ground.

NIGHTWATCH
January 1, 2003, 05:39 PM
Hello people. Its good to see you mugs again. :D

Thanks Oleg. The site looks great! Happy New Year everybody. ;) This is sure a nice gift.

BBall
January 2, 2003, 05:52 AM
Thank you, Im just glad to be here.

The holidays hit and the next thing I know the TFL is gone. I was horrified!

Thank you to all who picked up the TFL torch and and started the Highroad fire! I love it, feels just like home!

Long live this internet community!!

wyote
January 2, 2003, 06:41 AM
Looks like a great site and I'm looking forward to reading and posting.

mjustice
January 2, 2003, 09:06 AM
What a great christmas gift!

Hopefully the posts here will meet the standards set by the name of the site, as they did when TFL was around.

MJ

bogie
January 2, 2003, 12:01 PM
Oleg, we need a "High Road Lifestyle" section, dedicated to the enjoyment of the proper garb, entertainment, food & drink, and general feng shui of the shootin' life...

ceestand
January 2, 2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks and Congrats! Look forward to participating in these forums...

Slow
January 2, 2003, 02:21 PM
Thank you all for working together to build another excellent site. Rich, the baton has been successfully passed.:)

ZOG
January 6, 2003, 11:46 AM
Glad to be here !

XLMiguel
January 6, 2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks Oleg, Runt, and everyone else on THR team.

As I scrolled thru this thread, it was great to see so many familiar 'faces', plus a bunch of new folks. I very much enjoyed TFL, and I look forward to continuing the commaradery (sp?) and knowledge exchange in a similar venue.

Happy New Year to all y'all.

If you enjoyed reading about "ANNOUNCEMENT: Welcome! Please read before posting." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!