Huffington Post - another Air America

PDA

Rebar
May 10, 2005, 01:09 AM
This Web-site venture is the sort of failure that is simply unsurvivable, because of all the advance publicity touting its success as inevitable. Her blog is such a bomb that it's the box-office equivalent of Gigli, Ishtar and Heaven's Gate rolled into one. In magazine terms, it's the disastrous clone of Tina Brown's Talk, JFK Jr.'s George or Maer Roshan's Radar.
http://www.laweekly.com/ink/05/25/web-finke.php

The crusading liberal/left wing thinks they can still dazzle the rubes with their morally and intellectually bankrupt BS. Like Air America, it's a dismal failure. The "rubes" now have FNC and the internet, and that nonsense just won't fly anymore. Even their established MSM is losing ground, both broadcast and print.

Here's the disaster for your own perusal:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

And they need to fire their webmaster, the coding on the site is really sub-standard.

If you enjoyed reading about "Huffington Post - another Air America" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
May 10, 2005, 01:31 AM
A blog where readers can't respond?

Whatever.

Though I must admit, the entry where the former head of the RIAA (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/2005/05/steve-jobs-let-.html) complains about how she can't get her iPod to work is the most unintenionally hilarious thing I've read all week.

Preacherman
May 10, 2005, 02:19 AM
Reminds me of the old nursery rhyme, as sung by Dems to Republicans:

"Well, I'll Huff-ington, and I'll Puff-ington, and I'll blow your house down!"

:neener:

bjbarron
May 10, 2005, 02:22 AM
Read it today.

For all the hype, the celebrity posters she showcased today were pretty bad. Not only was it (mostly) left wing stuff, but poorly written. The more popular left wing bloggers are much more interesting.

Drudge thinks it was a disaster. I thought it was boring. Typical 'me centered' crapola. Larry David needs to take humor lessons from Iowahawk or Scrappleface, Walter Cronkite was whiny, Corzine was a bleeding heart. I'm not a coding expert, but I do know a crummy blog when I see it.

The moonbats will love it, naturally. I predict it will be as popular as Air America, which is to say Drudge was right.

Justin
May 10, 2005, 11:53 AM
Somebody should archive this somewhere. It's like watching a plane crash into a train that's going over a cliff- all in slow motion.

Rebar
May 10, 2005, 02:33 PM
Number of posts alluding to the OMG GOP THEOCRACY/ IMPENDING INQUISITION: 3
LOL - this site really rips into the site:
http://www.thegreatsatan.com/archives/000248.html

As if the rediculous liberal/left celebrity idiots needed another forum to display their stupidity.

dloken
May 11, 2005, 02:48 AM
So it's OK for the pink people to have their own media directed at them, but it's not ok for the lime green people to have their own media focused on them. Sounds good.

RevDisk
May 11, 2005, 03:12 AM
Whoopsy. When I saw the thread title, I thought of the CIA front company in Southeast Asia.

Another loonie with a blog? How... original.

tthiel
May 11, 2005, 03:28 AM
Air America is doing just fine after some initial issues. We'll see how this new site goes. Way to early to predict it's demise. The Drudge report btw is for morons. Talk about crappy web page design and idiotic articles. Just what are you guys afraid of? Can you only handle corporate sponsored pap like Fox "news"?

TonkinTwentyMil
May 11, 2005, 04:33 AM
Umm... a bit touchy there, tthiel?

As a new member, maybe you could introduce yourself. Heck, to make it easy, take this little quiz:

1. Like, who did you vote for in '96? '00? '04?

2. Like, on a 1 to 10 scale, where would you rate your "gun literacy" and shooting skills? Examples: 0 = Ariana Fluffington/Rosie O'/Dixie Chicks
1 = Al Franken/Michael Douglas/Michael Moore
9 = Navy SEAL

3. Americans really should be more "European." (Agree? Disagree?)

4. Situation: You and your Significant Other are returning from a campus rally
for Political Tolerance and Diversity (where you shouted-down the token
conservative). Suddenly, as you approach your environmentally-sensitive
(75 mpg) Honda Prius in a dim parking garage, 3 socially-disadvantaged
youths bearing switchblades appear -- requesting your involuntary
donations to their chemical welfare fund. Do you:
(a) Comply and give them your $$... anything to, umm, avoid "violence?"
(b) Dial 911 on your cell phone... and hope the cops get there before your
blood congeals on the cold concrete (such an environmental hazard)?
(c) Whip out your "Kerry For President" lapel button collection... and invite
these fine fellows up to your place to inspect your bong collection?
(d) Beat them mercilessly with your N.Y. TIMES?

I gotta duck out to get my Neanderthal nails manicured/sharpened at the nearest blacksmith's shop (Drudge Ironworks) but I'm dyin' to hear your quiz results.

By the way, maybe we could meet for latte or Chardonnay sometime. Do you speak French?

dloken
May 11, 2005, 04:46 AM
^

That is the most ridiculously stereotyped post i've ever seen. I guess you can't be a gun owner/gun rights supporter and not be a tollerant social liberal. I guess guns are only for closed minded bigots.

Lattes go well with our fine European firearms.

Warbow
May 11, 2005, 04:50 AM
Somebody should archive this somewhere. It's like watching a plane crash into a train that's going over a cliff- all in slow motion.

http://home.comcast.net/~werbwerb/roll.gif

Air America is doing just fine after some initial issues.

http://home.comcast.net/~werbwerb/roll.gif

TonkinTwentyMil
May 11, 2005, 05:26 AM
Well, that's real sporting of you to share that with us.

By the way, was that you I saw with John Kerry at the Iowa photo-op (i.e., "goose hunt") back in October? I recall there were 2 other guys in one of the photos (the one where Kerry still had the price-tags on his new L.L.Bean togs). One of those guys (with a "2A = Sporting Purposes" lapel button) was carrying the good senator's goose... and I think the other was carrying his water.

I also had a forensic science pal run some tests on that poor dead goose. Turns out it had Jane Fonda's DNA. Speaking of Hanoi Jane, she's out on the new-book tour these days (blue states only, at a wine-tasting near you). I think you might be able to get her autograph if you mention Arianna's name, flash the Peace sign, and scream like Howie Dean.

CleverName
May 11, 2005, 05:42 AM
Is every gunny a card-carrying Republican/some even more right-wing party member/Libertarian/libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalist? No.

Is every leftist a gun-hating blissninny? No.

Does every Republican truly believe in RKBA? No.

Are some Republican politicians shallowly supporting RKBA in order to gain votes? Probably. That's their job as a politician.

Liberal and Gun-lover not usually associated, but they are not mutually exclusive. To assume otherwise is sheer, willful ignorance.

Leatherneck
May 11, 2005, 08:13 AM
Liberal and Gun-lover not usually associated, Such a masterpiece of understatement so early in the day. :rolleyes:

TC

hillbilly
May 11, 2005, 08:32 AM
Tthiel is right!

Air America is doing just fine!

I mean recently they've actually been able to pay most of their employees most of the time.

And in the blue-state capitol of New York City, they are like the 26th or 27th most listened-to program! They are almost as popular as the all-reggae all-the-time format station they replaced!!!!

Tthiel is right on!

hillbilly

hillbilly
May 11, 2005, 08:43 AM
As for the gun-owning liberals, I've said this idea a few times before.

I'm a college English instructor. I study words for a living.

Words can and do change their connotations and denotations over time.

For example, the word "nice" has been in the English language for about 700 years. It's had 17 distinct meanings over that time.

And saying "Dad, I'm gay," did not mean in 1920 what it means in 2005.

That being said, the word "liberal" has changed. It does not mean in 2005 what it meant in 1776. Nor does it mean in 2005 what it meant in 1955.

Today, in 2005, liberal in the US political scene has come to mean a leftist who believes in strong governmental control and regulation of all behavior, with the goal of that regulation being to make everyone more "tolerant" and "politically correct."

Today, liberal means person who is guided by the ideology of Herbert Marcuse, whether the liberal in question knows it or not. If you don't know what I mean, read Marcuse's essay "Repressive Tolerance."

In short, if you really and truly believe in individual rights, if you really and truly believe in an individual right to keep and bear arms, you are not really a modern American liberal.

If you really believe in individual rights, you cannot, by definition, be a modern American liberal.

You may like to think you are a liberal. But you aren't.

You may dress like a liberal, talk like a liberal, hang out with liberals, sleep with liberals, even call yourself a liberal.....but if you really do believe in the individual right to keep and bear arms, then you cannot be a real modern American liberal.

hillbilly

Old Fuff
May 11, 2005, 09:45 AM
Interesting .....

>> Today, liberal means person who is guided by the ideology of Herbert Marcuse, whether the liberal in question knows it or not. If you don't know what I mean, read Marcuse's essay "Repressive Tolerance." <<

And where might I learn more about Mr. Marcuse's work?

tthiel
May 11, 2005, 12:53 PM
Poor thing. As it happens I spent 12 years in the Marine Corps and am a disabled combat veteran. I'll bet money thats far more than you can claim so I'll leave my background at that. The weakest of the weak is people who jump on the anti-french bandwagon. You are suckers for the BS your president is handing out. Can't or won't think for yourselves because it makes you too uncomfortable. BTW have you noticed the administration is now saying complimentary things about the french now that they are helping us on other issues? Oops better switch sides again, follow the party line. Next time the gun shop commando, wanna be tough guy, contingent runs their suck you should not make assumptions about what kind of person your talking to. You know what assumptions do from personal experience.

2nd Amendment
May 11, 2005, 01:00 PM
Frankly tthiel all that can be said to that is "That's nice". Your next story would be...?

Air America is not "doing fine". They still can't pay their bills, have zero market share in middle America(you know, the part that feeds and clothes and energizes the parasitic metro areas) and lousy share even in their own domains.

The better question is "What is it the left is afraid of?" Since it's obviously not failure, based on the miserable performance of such attempts as Air America. Obviously it's also not being accused of trolling, either. :D :neener:

Rebar
May 11, 2005, 01:56 PM
It seems our DU friends don't get the joke.

These liberal/left people first cry and moan about the "right wing domination" of the media (which is a joke in and of itself). Then they're going to "storm" this "monopoly" by giving the "people" an "alternative", ie a liberal/left wing radio station/blog/whatever. They're going to put <Limbaugh/O'Reilly/Hannity/Drudge/whoever> out of business, start a new revolution in America, so on as so forth.

Then the funny part happens - no one pays them any attention. When the people have a choice, they choose <Limbaugh/O'Reilly/Hannity/Drudge/whoever> over the rediculous hateful pap the liberal/left spews out. Limbaugh crushes Air America, where you can even get AA. Drudge crushes Huffington. FNC crushes all the other cable news shows - combined. The only successful liberal/left show is NPR, and only because they're taxpayer funded.

Simply put, there's no market for the morally and intellectually bankrupted liberal/left wing ideas.

Sean Smith
May 11, 2005, 03:08 PM
I'm starting to suspect that tthiel is here for the sole purpose of being indignant that liberals get made fun of on a gun forum because almost all liberals favor gun control.

How unfair! That's like sausages making fun of Germans! :neener:

The problem with Air America and its ilk isn't that they are liberal, it is that they are only entertaining if you are looking for a kind of ideological masturbation. Does the world need a lobotomized version of NPR?

:confused:

Liberals can be funny. The Daily Show is anti-Bush (Stewart has come right out and said so), but at least has some wit and some balls. I've heard Franken, he's just gotten bitter and stupid with old age.

Lobotomy Boy
May 11, 2005, 03:11 PM
There is a huge difference between being "liberal" and being "a liberal." Being liberal basically means being open-minded. Some of the most politically conservative people I know are also some of the most open minded. Some of the most politically liberal people I know are some of the least open-minded.

Sadly "liberal" has come to characterize an extremely close-minded group of people who refuse to let reality interfere with their utopian ideals of what the world should be; hence, they are powerless to address the problems that the world faces at this moment. For example, we are running out of easily accessed petroleum reserves and in a relatively short time we may be facing the possibility of rationing gasoline supplies. The utopian bliss ninny solution is to drive overpriced Toyota Prius' that get 29 miles per gallon (they only get better than that in some utopian EPA test lab) instead of driving Ford F150s that get 24 miles per gallon. The reality is that unless huge new reserves are found, the fact is that we are going to have to drive a lot less regardless of what we drive, but the bliss ninnies won't discuss that.

Personally I despise Democrats and Republicans equally. I consider extremism a form of tyranny whether it is right-wing extremism or left-wing extremism, and won't vote for extremists regardless of their party. Generally the Republicans come a little closer to representing my interests than the Dems, though if my Democratic state senator votes for the Minnesota Personal Protection Act and against a sales tax increase for a new baseball stadium, I will probably vote for her in 2006.

dloken
May 11, 2005, 03:29 PM
By the way, was that you I saw with John Kerry at the Iowa photo-op (i.e., "goose hunt") back in October? I recall there were 2 other guys in one of the photos (the one where Kerry still had the price-tags on his new L.L.Bean togs). One of those guys (with a "2A = Sporting Purposes" lapel button) was carrying the good senator's goose... and I think the other was carrying his water.

Sorry, I prefer Sig and HK over some stupid fancy shotgun. My ideal shotgun is a Mossberg 590A1. Also I wear Dockers over stupid expensive outdoor clothing. By the way I live in Wisconsin, not Iowa where idiots get lost in a plowed farm field and die.

Today, in 2005, liberal in the US political scene has come to mean a leftist who believes in strong governmental control and regulation of all behavior, with the goal of that regulation being to make everyone more "tolerant" and "politically correct."

Which is why it's the Republicans who are being anti-gay bigots. "Oh No!, the sanctity of marriage is being erroded" (The divorce rate in the US is something like 50%). I'm a straight male, I don't see a problem with gays marrying. Personally I believe the government needs to get out of the business of marriage and just give EVERYBODY gay or straight civil unions and leave the marriage game up to the church/mosque/witch/voodoo doll/etc.

Or the Republicans who want to regulate and censor what we see on TV/Radio and now even cable/satellite television or radio.

The Republicans who support holding people without charge for years (Even American citizens) or even contact with lawyers in Guantanamo.

The "Culture of Life" that supports the death penalty and executing minors.

Same bull????, different day.

Air America is not "doing fine". They still can't pay their bills, have zero market share in middle America(you know, the part that feeds and clothes and energizes the parasitic metro areas) and lousy share even in their own domains.

You mean the urban areas where most people live, and where most votes come from? Look at Illinois firearm troubles. It's a big state but MOST of the population lives in Chicagoland. Maybe if you'd spend some time trying to convince "liberals" to embrace firearms instead of name calling and labeling we'd be further along in our cause.

Art Eatman
May 11, 2005, 04:23 PM
Generalizing, "Classic Liberal" is reasonably applicable to those who became known as the "Founding Fathers".

The modern meaning of "progressive" and "liberal" began--approximately--in the 1920s. Overall, I prefer the (to me) more accurate term "statist" to describe these people and their political views. Per their views, using "statist", it's a bit more clear that they think government can and should solve social problems.

As to Huffington, there's nothing wrong with her that a dab of LocTite wouldn't fix...

:), Art

hillbilly
May 11, 2005, 04:32 PM
Here's Marcuse's essay "Repressive Tolerance."

The entire politically-correct speech code movement of the 1980s and 1990s was based off this set of ideas. This is where the concept for making "hate speech" laws comes from.

In a nutshell, you enforce "tolerance" by making a very specific list of ideas, words, and images that won't be tolerated under any circumstances.

Neat trick, huh?

http://www.marcuse.org/herbert/pubs/65repressivetolerance.htm

And here's an excerpt from ole Herbert......

"Liberating tolerance, then, would mean intolerance against movements from the Right and toleration of movements from the Left. As to the scope of this tolerance and intolerance: ... it would extend to the stage of action as well as of discussion and propaganda, of deed as well as of word."

Hey, that sounds like the official board policy over at DU!!!!!!!!

hillbilly
May 11, 2005, 04:38 PM
And....here's Marcuse's conclusion from his essay.

However, the alternative to the established semi-democratic process is not a dictatorship or elite, no matter how intellectual and intelligent, but the struggle for a real democracy. Part of this struggle is the fight against an ideology of tolerance which, in reality, favors and fortifies the conservation of the status quo of inequality and discrimination. For this struggle, I proposed the practice of discriminating tolerance. To be sure, this practice already presupposes the radical goal which it seeks to achieve. I committed this petitio principii in order to combat the pernicious ideology that tolerance is already institutionalized in this society. The tolerance which is the life element, the token of a free society, will never be the gift of the powers that be; it can, under the prevailing conditions of tyranny by the majority, only be won in the sustained effort of radical minorities, willing to break this tyranny and to work for the emergence of a free and sovereign majority - minorities intolerant, militantly intolerant and disobedient to the rules of behavior which tolerate destruction and suppression.

Sean Smith
May 11, 2005, 04:43 PM
Maybe if you'd spend some time trying to convince "liberals" to embrace firearms instead of name calling and labeling we'd be further along in our cause.

Maybe if almost all self-identified liberal politicians weren't 100% anti-RKBA, then liberals wouldn't get their balls busted on this forum? :neener:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/scorecard/scorecard.php?inds=42

JJpdxpinkpistols
May 11, 2005, 05:04 PM
Heck I am bored:

>1. Like, who did you vote for in '96? '00? '04?
it isn't a simile, but I voted for Clinton, Gore and Theresa Reed (local libertarian).
>2. Like, on a 1 to 10 scale, where would you rate your "gun literacy" and shooting skills?
Once again, it isn't a simile, but I would probably rate a 7. Never was in the military. They wouldn't take me due to medical issues.
>3. Americans really should be more "European." (Agree? Disagree?)
Disagree. With the exception of more espresso, er... Oh, wait. That isn't European. Thats middle eastern. No. Not more like Europe. Although they do get the coolest motorcycles (witness the BMW C1).
>4. Situation: You and your Significant Other are returning from a campus rally
for Political Tolerance and Diversity (where you shouted-down the token
conservative). Suddenly, as you approach your environmentally-sensitive
(75 mpg) Honda Prius in a dim parking garage, 3 socially-disadvantaged
youths bearing switchblades appear -- requesting your involuntary
donations to their chemical welfare fund. Do you:

well, you didn't give me much of a choice. First off, I don't go to campus rallies. I outgrew that back in high school. Secondly, I don't shout anyone down (or have them forceably removed by idiots pretending to be Secret Service). Thirdly: I don't drive a honda prius. And lastly, I would not be stupid enough to to park in a dim parking garage. But *if* someone came about asking for cash, and it was clear their intent was to harm me or my wife, and there wasn't a way to avoid the situation entirely (in compliance with ORS statutes and common sense), I would introduce them to my five friends named Speer. Shall we call that Option E?

Oh, and I don't drink chardonay, or any booze for that matter. Nor do I speak French.

Just because I have put some thought into my political convictions and have come up with an opinion that differs from YOURS does not mean that we can't be allies, at least on a few of the issues. Certainly the ones that are the focus of this site. I am affording you the respect that your convictions and beliefs deserve, and would appreciate that same courtesy in return.

JJpdxpinkpistols
May 11, 2005, 05:16 PM
Maybe if almost all self-identified liberal politicians weren't 100% anti-RKBA, then liberals wouldn't get their balls busted on this forum?

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/scorecard/scorecard.php?indh=329

I see your Kerry, and raise you one DeFazio (score of 42).

Judging the entire party based upon one guy is dumb. On either side. Oh, and if you hadn't figured out: I didn't vote for Kerry.

Sean Smith
May 11, 2005, 05:35 PM
Oh, it is to laugh. You're Democratic RKBA benchmark is "only" about 50% pro-gun control! I take it all back! No, really! :evil:

First Republicans I picked off the top of my head:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/scorecard/scorecard.php?ssr=TX

Come on, at least make me work for it! Your Liberal stereotype-busting is sub-optimal at best... :neener:

JJpdxpinkpistols
May 11, 2005, 07:14 PM
>Oh, it is to laugh. You're Democratic RKBA benchmark is "only" about 50% pro-gun control! I take it all back! No, really!
>Come on, at least make me work for it! Your Liberal stereotype-busting is sub-optimal at best...

my goal wasn't "Liberal stereotype busting". It was stereotype busting:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/scorecard/scorecard.php?inds=54
http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/scorecard/scorecard.php?inds=51
http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/scorecard/scorecard.php?inds=7

or we can go the other way:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/scorecard/scorecard.php?inds=69
http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/scorecard/scorecard.php?inds=77
http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/scorecard/scorecard.php?inds=92

Those were just the Senate members. The house is full of really juicy stats if we wanna wade into that bunch of yahoos.

Look, demonizing a group of people with a scarlet D isn't going to do you (or me) any good in the long run.

I am pretty sure you would rather have those "Liberals" voting WITH you on this issue than against you. If you doubt that statement, just ask yourself how those evil gun grabbers keep getting elected. Someone is voting them in, and I am pretty sure it isn't you or me.

So lets work to do change the state of things; In that vein, take a Dem shooting with you. Demystify firearms and what goes along with them. Educate. Teach. Learn from their fears. Changing EVERYONE'S outlook is the way to win. Bipartisan. Across the board. All it takes is an afternoon, a thermos of coffee, and a brick of .22 ammo.

Trust me. It works. I speak from experience here.

hillbilly
May 11, 2005, 08:56 PM
JJpdxpinkpistols:

I agree with taking Democrats shooting.

Trust me, I've done plenty of it. I teach college English for a living. I've been considered Satan's own gun-demon on five college campuses in two states because of my evil tempting of Democrats to join the dark side and try out shooting real live bulllets out of real live guns.

I do that all the time.

However, Democrats keep the likes of Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Hillary Clinton, et al, at the forefront of their party.

I keep hearing that the "problem" with the Dems is the way they try to communicate their message. I hear that from none other than the Deaniac himself.

However, the "problem" with the Dems' message IS the message.

And to make myself perfectly clear, I'm talking specifically, soley, and only about guns in this case. I'm not bringing in any of those other issues...just guns.

All I have to do is look to see the ONLY Senate vote John F'in Kerry came off the presidential campaign trail to make. All I have to do is read Uncle Ted Kennedy's comments about banning the "armor piercing" 30-30 ammo. All I have to do is look at how the two Democratic senators from Arkansas (Lincoln and Pryor) voted on the AWB renewal and the bill to kill the idiotic lawsuits against gun makers.

As much as I'd like to listen to your words, JJdxpinkpistols, the actions of the head Democrats are sooooooo loud that I can't hear your words.

Until Democrats begin selecting leadership that isn't rabidly anti-gun, I can't afford to vote any other way.

And that means changing the message, not changing the way the message is packaged and communicated.

hillbilly

Old Fuff
May 11, 2005, 09:29 PM
Ya know I think you're the brightest hillbilly its been my pleasure to come across ...

shermacman
May 11, 2005, 09:55 PM
You are suckers for the BS your president is handing out. Can't or won't think for yourselves because it makes you too uncomfortable.

For those of you who don't speak tthiel's language, I have endeavored to translate the above from his original French:

"I am an open-minded, tolerant, understanding Liberal, steeped in the philosophical European traditions...you are a classless, low-life, Conservative, jerk bass turd."

Thank you!

benEzra
May 11, 2005, 10:25 PM
Pro-gun republicans need to realize, soon, that not all pro-gun people are Republicans. The fact that the national Democratic party leadership is hostile to civilian ownership of nonhunting guns does NOT mean that most Democratic voters are anti-gun. A primary reason Bush won in 2000 and 2004 is that a lot of Democrats crossed party lines and voted for Bush on the gun issue, and if you want those crossover voters to stop voting pro-gun, all you republicans have to do is just keep bashing nonrepublicans as being gun-haters.

Look, I am not a Republican and a lot of THR's aren't. I am glad the national republican leadership has "seen the light" since Bush the Elder sold us out in the early '90's and the national Republican party was considering heavily anti-gun additions to the party platform. But anti-gun repubs got their Alpha Two Sierra handed them at the polls, and the national party quickly realized that being anti-gun would cost them elections.

The Democratic party is going through that process right now. Although there are a lot of pro-gun Dems at the state level, the national party has this urban elitist gun-hating thing going on, and it is causing them to get their posterior handed to them in national elections (so far it's cost them the House, the Senate, and two presidencies, and it's starting to sink in to all but the thickest heads in the party leadership). There is a strong and growing movement within the Democratic party to muzzle Feinstein et al and recognize that the Second Amendment doesn't have a d****d thing to do with hunting--that four out of five gun owners are NOT hunters--and that the AWB and the rest of the anti-gun lobby's Chicken Little routine is utter BS.

Some Republicans apparently wish to discourage the Dems from adopting a pro-gun position so the Dems will just keep shooting themselves in the foot in national elections, helping Repubs to do better. Fine, that's politics, but it's not necessarily good for the gun rights movement at large. Remember that old adage about "if we don't hang together, we shall all hang separately."

hillbilly
May 11, 2005, 10:33 PM
Benezra, well said.

But right now, there is exactly zero evidence that the far-left party leadership is getting the message at all on gun ownership.

There is none, zip, zilch, nada.

If anything, the recent trend has been towards the opposite direction.

Dems have been "pro-gun" or at least not viscerally anti-gun on the state level.

But once they reach national prominence, they become rabid anti-gunners, because that's where the Dem party leadership is firmly entrenched.

My two pieces of evidence are 1) Bill Clinton and 2) Al Gore.

Neither one became openly anti-gun until they got to national prominence.

That's another reason why I refuse to vote for a Democrat even as dogcatcher.

They've proven, over and over, that they can't be trusted once they get to national prominence. They say one thing on the state level, but go hardcore anti-gun on the national level.

I know. I'm a native Arkie who got snookered into voting for Slick Willy back in 1992.

Never again.......

hillbilly

Old Fuff
May 11, 2005, 10:48 PM
Ben;

I realize full well that ALL Democrats are not anti-gun, but I don't see any evidence that the rank & file have had a change of heart, except possibly in some of the "red" states. While not much is happening at the federal level there is a lot of anti-gun agitation going on at the state and local levels that is being pushed by ... Democrats. Look at the many threads on The High Road and point out where new gun control legislation is being proposed by Republicans.

Democrats have introduced bills in several state legislatures to reintroduce new AW Bans. In California they want to outlaw handguns in San Francesco, and require pistol ammunition to be serialized. California recently outlawed 50 caliber rifles (yes I know that a Republican Governor signed the bill ... they are far from perfect). But generally across the country it is still the Democrats that are pushing ... pushing ... pushing. Just where do you see Democrats having any success with the party elders on really going in a different direction on the gun control issue? Really, aren't those leaders at the national level the ones that run the party? How can they remain in power if they aren't backed by the rank & file?

Glenn Kelley
May 11, 2005, 11:17 PM
Don't put all your eggs in one basket.The most draconian gun laws in Britain were instituted by the conservatives.If a political party knows that you can't go to the other side you lose your clout and any party will turn on its' supporters if there is a larger group of voters to be gained.Power coruppts.

Glenn

Don Gwinn
May 11, 2005, 11:31 PM
The difference in national and local politics cuts both ways. Look at a guy like Mitt Romney who thinks he can be the Republican Presidential candidate--I don't share his optimism. He's had to accept a lot of leftist stuff to get and keep the Governor's office in Massachusetts, stuff that won't fly for a national Republican. He's already starting to maneuver.

Or take Rod Blagojevich, Illinois' beloved Democratic Governor. He's the best darn Dick-Mell's-Son-In-Law Springfield has seen in years, maybe ever. (As a Governor, he's somewhat disappointing.) When Dick Mell installed him in Congress, he spent most of his time on gun control.
When he ran for Governor, he had to tone it down.
Now that he's struggling a bit with blunder after blunder in Illinois, he's being forced to run away from gun control, which has always been his defining issue--to the point that Daley recently had to complain loudly in public that the Governor wasn't supporting his anti-gun bills in the Legislature.

Rebar
May 12, 2005, 12:37 AM
Mitt Romney is DOA as far as being elected President as a republican:
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts,” Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony with legislators, sportsmen’s groups and gun safety advocates. “These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.”
http://www.mass.gov/portal/index.jsp?pageID=pressreleases&agId=Agov2&prModName=gov2pressrelease&prFile=gov_pr_040701_assault_weapons_ban.xml

What drivel. He'd have a better shot if he switched parties, since he acts like a moonbat anyway.

dloken
May 12, 2005, 12:38 AM
What's with all the hate for the French? It seems to have started with the lead up to the Iraq War. At any rate they were proven right about WMDs anyway.

TonkinTwentyMil
May 12, 2005, 03:57 AM
Uhh, ya mean the WMD parts and chemicals the French, Germans and Russians sold to Saddam via the U.N.'s lovely Oil-For-Food laundering program? The same stuff the Russian Spetsnatz "boy scouts" transported via trucks over to Syria for "safekeeping?" The same WMD stuff Saddam gassed the Kurds with?

Oh, wait! I forgot. The only wars we should ever fight are those where we have no casualties. Right?

Can I buy you another latte to go with your N.Y.TIMES?

Cool Hand Luke 22:36
May 12, 2005, 04:08 AM
Huffington is one of the truely, supernaturally strange people going, even by California standards.

Cool Hand Luke 22:36
May 12, 2005, 04:11 AM
What's with all the hate for the French? It seems to have started with the lead up to the Iraq War. At any rate they were proven right about WMDs anyway.

They spit on Lance Armstrong during the alpine leg of the last Tour de France.

dloken
May 12, 2005, 05:14 AM
Uhh, ya mean the WMD parts and chemicals the French, Germans and Russians sold to Saddam via the U.N.'s lovely Oil-For-Food laundering program? The same stuff the Russian Spetsnatz "boy scouts" transported via trucks over to Syria for "safekeeping?" The same WMD stuff Saddam gassed the Kurds with?

Please remove the tin foil from your head. Art Bell is requesting it's return. :uhoh:

spin on Lance Armstrong

Yes, because a few bad apples (Who might not have even been French given the highly international nature of the Tour de France) are indicative of the entire population of a large nation. I mean I guess those KKK guys are representative of the United States as a whole.

Besides, with women like Audrey Tautou how could you not like the French. :D

lunaslide
May 12, 2005, 06:22 AM
BTW have you noticed the administration is now saying complimentary things about the french now that they are helping us on other issues?

It's easy to be nice to people who don't matter anymore (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/02/22/do2202.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2005/02/22/ixop.html)

But, in the broader sense vis-*-vis Europe, the administration is changing the tone precisely because it understands there can be no substance. And, if there's no substance that can be changed, what's to quarrel about? International relations are like ex-girlfriends: if you're still deluding yourself you can get her back, every encounter will perforce be fraught and turbulent; once you realize that's never gonna happen, you can meet for a quick decaf latte every six – make that 10 – months and do the whole hey-isn't-it-terrific-the-way-we're-able-to-be-such-great-friends routine because you couldn't care less. You can even make a few pleasant noises about her new romance (the so-called European Constitution) secure in the knowledge he's a total loser.

It's not that France is our good friend again (or that they ever have been), it's that they are irrelevant.

Back to the subject at hand, I'm not just worried about gun rights in this country, I'm worried about statism. It happens that the gun-control agenda and statism go hand-in-hand.

Everyone cheered and raised a toast about communism being dead. It's not dead, and we haven't won that war yet by a damn sight. The "wealth redistribution" crowd are still around, and that big honking COTUS-violator the McCain-Feingold act is making sure that less and less people can bring up the fact that the emperor is wearing no clothes. Mocking people as wearing tin-foil hats when they worry about statism and communism may be fashionable, but the subject is deadly serious. It makes my skin crawl when I hear talk about "the greater good." Those are only code words for taking individual rights away from people so a select elite can tell them how to live.

People who trust the government with my firearms more than me bother me.
People who trust the government with my money more than me scare me.
People who trust the government with determining what I can and can't say, terrify me.

Wasn't it the government that was supposed to be afraid of us, and not the other way around?

Lobotomy Boy
May 12, 2005, 07:58 AM
I have no doubt that given their druthers most politicians would like to confiscate guns, be the Republicans or Democrats. Look at Bush the Elder's weapons import ban. It's up to us to make certain that they are not able to do that. Republicans tend to be a bit better about following our will in this one area.

Be that as it may, in my opinion only a fool would blindly follow the self-serving rhetoric of any one political party. Ultimately most politicians are whores for their corporate pimps, and most will sell us out to please those money providers.

Justin
May 12, 2005, 12:12 PM
What's with all the hate for the French?

SECAM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECAM#Facetious_interpretations_of_the_S.C9CAM_acronym)

'Nuf said.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll drag this thread kicking and screaming back on topic.

Huffington's blog has been up for less than a week, and there's already a parody of it:
http://www.huffingtonstoast.com/

Quite honestly, whoever is writing the parody site really has their work cut out for them, because the real thing could easily be mistaken for parody all on its own.

Rebar
May 12, 2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks for http://www.huffingtonstoast.com/.

There's some classic stuff in there. Sure, it's like shooting fish in a barrel, but sometimes, shooting fish in a barrel is damn fun!

Sean Smith
May 12, 2005, 04:34 PM
"Besides, with women like Audrey Tautou how could you not like the French."

By having a sense of smell? ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Huffington Post - another Air America" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!