.32 H&R Magnum

PDA

Sox
March 16, 2003, 03:13 PM
Finally got a Taurus 731Ti after much deliberation. A little rough, but man is this thing fun! I had owned a S&W Ti 342PD and it was not any fun at all- period. This little thing purrs. I shot 50 Georgia Arms 100Gr JHP @1150fps, 50 .32 Longs 100gr @750fps, and finally, thanks to this board and the late-great TFL, 50 .32 ACP's, and 25 Federal 85Gr Hishok. The GA 100gr/1150fps is similar to a .38 95gr silvertip, but less so. The longs are comfortable and the .32 auto rounds are a plain hoot-pop,pop,pop. This thing is dead on accurate at 10-15 yards. I love it and I love this round. This is the perfect round for those super lightweight snubs. I wish S&W would bring out the 332PD with the HIVIZ front sights! Corbon used to make a 60gr magnum that was smokin, but I don't recall the velocity. Ammo is plentiful at the gunshows, and a tad pricey.:p

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 H&R Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
March 16, 2003, 05:59 PM
The Cor-Bon project involved a 60grain Gold Dot projectile doing 1,400fps+ from a Ruger 4.5" barrel, so figure at least 1,200 from a snubbie.

Now, you actually chronoed yourself the GA 100grainers doing 1,150fps? From a 2" barrel? If so, that's considerably hotter than I suspected. That's 294ft/lbs energy which is...well, that's mild 357 territory in a 2" tube. Which, sorry, I'm quite skeptical about.

http://www.naaminis.com/energy.html - velocity table.

Sox
March 16, 2003, 06:21 PM
Hey Jim, no those aren't my numbers. That's what they are spec'd at on the label. I am not sure if that's a 2 or 4" tube from which they are reporting that velocity. Could contact GA arms.

Kentucky Rifle
March 16, 2003, 08:15 PM
I'm glad to see someone else happy with the .32 H&R Mag. The S&W Sc/Ti .357 that I fired was a killer on my fingers, hands, and wrists. The 331 Ti in .32 mag is a joy to shoot. So far though, all I've shot is Federal Hi-Shock hollow points. The 331 is my ankle gun. I think Tamara said that the Georgia arms stuff is a little hotter and someone else said that Texas ammo makes one even hotter than Georgia.
For the light S&W Ti and the Taurus UL, the .32 mag is nice. :)

KR

Jim March
March 16, 2003, 08:53 PM
Ah. OK. That'll be from a 4" or 6" barrel. If it was me, I'd call GA and find out.

If a 4", that's good, you'll net at least 1,000fps or close from a snub. If 6", a bit less. With a 100grainer, you want 950fps to hit 200ft/lbs, similar to your average 38Spl. You don't need to hit exactly that but close is good.

Chrono the stuff :). I'm *real* interested, and you should be too :D.

Sox
March 16, 2003, 09:23 PM
Jim and KR, if you guys want to smile ear to ear, put some .32 ACP's in those babys. That gun doesn't move, just a little pop, pop, pop. The flexiblity of this caliber is what has really taken me.

Jim March
March 16, 2003, 09:27 PM
Heh. How's the ejection on those ACPs? There ain't a whole lotta rim!

Jim March
March 16, 2003, 09:30 PM
Come to think, what's the accuracy on the ACPs? The freebore effect must be wild :).

Sox
March 17, 2003, 10:46 PM
Jim, suprisingly those little things are pretty accurate. One right after another on top of one another. I had read a post stating the .32ACP was o.k. in the magnum and some said NO. I went the way of the lemmings at the gunshop the other day 2 of whom had success with this. Ejection was effortless. Now mind you I inverted the cylinder and pushed the ejector and out they flew, no muss no fuss. :uhoh:

Jim March
March 18, 2003, 02:25 AM
At the range is fine, but DO NOT load 32ACP for defense. I recommend against that in the strongest possible terms. It's too easy to get the rim bound up under the ejector star, locking the gun up in mid-reload. 32Mags are more potent but still comfortable to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 H&R Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!