BB/Pellet Gun for Dog Control

PDA

Kestrel
May 11, 2005, 11:12 PM
(I'm not sure where to post this...)

Sorry for the long story...

I'm having some problems with dogs in the neighborhood. They're coming into my yard and leaving their "handywork"... they're digging up areas... my dog sees them through a window and starts barking and it wakes up the baby...

There are leash laws in my town, but these dogs are continually getting loose from their yards, etc. Don't get me wrong - I love dogs - I have one. But - he doesn't roam the neighborhood. Some of these are large dogs and I'm also concerned about my wife and child being outside when I'm not around. Actually, none of these are small dogs - there is a

- A German Shepard (friendly, but jumps on you with muddy paws)

- A cross-eyed, bow-legged boxer (friendly, but jumps on you with muddy paws and will bark at visitors to our home when he's in the yard)

- A chow mix (that shows aggression to other dogs and will stalk you when you walk in the neighborhood)

- A poorly bred black lab (with an unpleasant disposition), a poorly bred golden retriever (with an unpleasant disposition)

- A mangy looking border collie (unfriendly)

- A strange looking HUGE yellow lab that has a chest like a lion and very narrow hips, that watches you without making a sound

-An old german shepard mix that will come in the yard and bark at you.

After typing this, it sounds like I'm living in Sanford & Son's neighborhood, but it's actually a nice neighborhood and I see a lot of nice dogs on leashes - it seems it's only these half-breed/trainwrecks that are out loose. (No, I'm not a breed snob.) The number of dogs has gradually increased over the last year.

I'm planning to have another talk with animal control about all this, but I also need to do more. (Animal control doesn't always catch the dogs out loose.) When I was a kid, when loose dogs came into our yard, causing trouble, either my father or I would shoot them with a BB gun (the pump-up kind). They would run off and problem solved - temporarily. After a few encounters, they were trained... When the dogs just heard the sound of that rifle being cocked, they would take off like somebody had stuck them with a nail...

The only "air" rifle I have now, is an RMS pellet rifle that is kind of loud, is slow to load (one pellet at a time) and could possibly kill the dog. I won't want to kill them - just "discipline" them. I don't care if they limp for a while, I just want them out of my yard.

What is a good BB/pellet gun for this? I would also consider an air pistol, since it would be easier to wield without being noticed, but I'm guessing they would be lacking in power.

I know the story's long, but I would appreciate any tips on some air guns to consider. Longest range would only be approximately 100 feet.

Thanks for any help!

If you enjoyed reading about "BB/Pellet Gun for Dog Control" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
May 11, 2005, 11:16 PM
I know some pellet guns can break the skin, causing infection, vet bills and opening you up for a possible suit or complaint. I'd suggest using paintballs instead, which will both get the dog running AND mark it for ID purposes. You can then be the one to call animal control and tell them to find the dog with the orange paint on its behind.

Psssniper
May 11, 2005, 11:30 PM
I second the paintball idea. I tried it and had a lot of fun to boot. :)
I put a flourescent orange splat on Fido's rib cage, he got the message and his owners got the message, have not seen him since. Now if I see a cat with no collar, thats when it's pellet gun time, crows get it too.

Hawken50
May 11, 2005, 11:42 PM
HUGE yellow lab that has a chest like a lion and very narrow hips, that watches you without making a sound

i have one of those, 125lbs and a head like a cinderblock. but instead of stalking you he knocks you over trying to get you to pet him.

anyhow, if your worried about perminatly injuring the dogs (thumbs up on your restraint, it's not the dogs fault there owners won't keep track of them) get one of those 10 pump pellet guns at walmart and only pump it 5 times.

i think the paintball idea is better though, alot less likely to injure, and one problem i have when i use my bb gun for animal control is half the time the dog has no idea what it was that got him. (may it thinks it's a bee sting or something??) just kinda looks around and trots off. i think with a paintball a dog would realize where it came from and stay away.

edit- i bet those O.C. paint balls would be super effective. i also bet civies can't get thier hands on em.

g56
May 12, 2005, 12:12 AM
If someone saw you shoot a dog with a pellet gun, you could easily be arrested for cruelty to animals, which can be a felony in many jurisdictions.

Paintballs...hard to say what they (authorities) might think of it, their reaction could range from cruelty to "who cares", it's a crap shoot on possible consequences or civil liability you could be subject to. :what:

You might talk to animal control about live traps.

JohnKSa
May 12, 2005, 12:15 AM
Shooting them with a pellet gun is a bad idea , IMO. It could be called animal cruelty which could get you jail time.

My guess is that you might actually be better off from a legal standpoint shooting them with a firearm than with an airgun. Just thinking out loud, not making a recommendation.

I think the paintball gun is a better approach. You're obviously not trying to injure the animal, and the paint spot may give the owner a message.

chris in va
May 12, 2005, 12:32 AM
If it were me, I would try and contact the owner if known FIRST before taking any sort of action. Then I would contact animal control if the rest are strays.

After that get a marker, crank it up to 320fps and fire at will. :D

Oh...and make sure you can legally fire a 'weapon' in your city. We have a law here that you can't use any 'firearm' (pellet gun, slingshot, paintball marker etc) within city limits, and you have to be on 5 acres or greater to do so.

Kestrel
May 12, 2005, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. The paintball idea is interesting - I never thought about that. I've never had a paintball gun (they came out after my time...). Any particular make and model suggested?

None of these dogs are strays - I know where most of them live. The thing is, if I ran into them when I was alone, I'd pet some of them - the others are kind of nervous and stand-offish. The problem is what they leave in my yard, what they do to my yard, the safety of my dog when I'm outside with him on a leash and my wife and baby's safety.

I think I'll talk to animal control and ask about shooting them with the paintballs. I guess that would make it easier for them to identify, later.

Felonies, lawsuits, cruelty - good grief. When I was growning up, we didn't even try to hide it when we were shooting at dogs (with BB guns) and running them off. And nobody ever thought anything of it.

I remember a story my Dad told me of dispatching five pitbulls for the owner of a local hardware store in his town, when he was growning up. (I think this happened when he was an early teen.) These dogs had been causing trouble in town and the owner of the hardware store told my Dad he wished someone would get rid of those dogs. My Dad told him if he would supply a box of bullets, he would take care of them. (He had a .22 rifle that he had LOTS of practice with.) He said the guy gave him a box of .22 ammo and my Dad found all the dogs on a dirt road and took care of all of them. I expressed surprise that a .22 would kill them, but he said they didn't know he was there, so they were kind of relaxed when he started shooting. He thought it was easier since they weren't keyed-up and excited. Of course, this was in the rural South and a lot of people were more sane then.

Cosmoline
May 12, 2005, 02:12 AM
People were better shots back then, too. I recently saw a dog at the vet with two .22 caliber holes in his chest. Not remotely fatal, but both the vet and the owner were preparing to support charges and a hefty lawsuit. If you've got to kill a dog, use plenty of firepower so it dies quickly and drops as close to the spot it was on as possible. The main issue (at least up here) is whether it was on your property or not. If you shoot a dog that dies a mile away in the middle of the road, you could be looking at serious jail time. Especially if you don't report it but the owner does. You are not allowed to drive around capping off animals on the roadways even up here in the wilds. It's both a criminal violation and a F&G violation.

Ol` Joe
May 12, 2005, 03:20 AM
Do you have a garage? If so try luring them in with a bit of food, ect, and shut the door. Call animal control and tell them the dog(s) ran you in your garage and is still in there. Tell them they can take their time if they can`t respond right away, you won`t open the door with a dog that chased you in there with out someone to help protect you. Tell them the dog will still be there next month if they need that long to respond you`re afraid for yourself and family. The owners will get the idea after paying to retrieve the dog from the pound a time or two.

Sindawe
May 12, 2005, 04:01 AM
The paintball idea is a good one, combine pain compliance for the animals tresspassing on YOUR territory w/ minimal risk of permanent harm as well as identification for the owners that their pet is being a hassle.

As for markers. PMI makes a nice pump action marker for less than $100, or go to Wal-Mart and pick up a Stingray semi-auto for about $60. Keep a backup armed with more leathal response in case things go pear shaped on ya, or at least a good caliber handgun at the ready if by yourself.

>- A German Shepard (friendly, but jumps on you with muddy paws)

Pain/pepper spray when in your yard.

>- A cross-eyed, bow-legged boxer (friendly, but jumps on you with muddy >paws and will bark at visitors to our home when he's in the yard)

Pain/pepper spray when in your yard

>- A chow mix (that shows aggression to other dogs and will stalk you when >you walk in the neighborhood)

Terminate when in your yard

>- A poorly bred black lab (with an unpleasant disposition), a poorly bred >golden retriever (with an unpleasant disposition)

Terminate when in your yard

>- A mangy looking border collie (unfriendly)

Terminate

>- A strange looking HUGE yellow lab that has a chest like a lion and very >narrow hips, that watches you without making a sound

Pain/pepper unless further challenged, them terminate.

>-An old german shepard mix that will come in the yard and bark at you.

Pain/pepper unless it further challenges, in which case terminate.

The crux of the matter here is that the dogs are in YOUR territory, and you need to make that quite clear to them in no uncertain terms. Think like a canine here. If after the first couple of warnings they respect you when on your turf and stay off, you can be friendly when off such. If not, they want to Alpha and need to be dispatched ASAP.

hcker2000
May 12, 2005, 05:37 AM
One word. Airsoft.

I have used this on cats and it works wonders. It stings like crap. They go full auto and will realy kick out the bb's. Plus they are replica guns so you can get just about any kind imaginable (I own an mp5k and an g3-sg1).

Chawbaccer
May 12, 2005, 07:12 AM
I'd be a bit confrontational about it if I knew where the dogs home is, just go knock on the door and tell the owner to go get the dog sh1t out of your yard NOW, and make sure the dog is never there again. Next time I'd catch the dog and take it to the pound a couple counties over so that the owner wouldn't be able to bail it out.

Peet
May 12, 2005, 07:17 AM
Back in the mid-seventies, I rented a house with a bunch of folks: The house
had been tied up in probate for years so it was unoccupied. When we moved
in the St. Bernard next door had been in the habit of crapping on the lawn
because the place was empty. Believe me, you don't want to hit a St. Bernard
pile with a lawn mower.

So, after a few months of this, I came home after work (2nd shift) one night
and urinated on the property line where I'd seen the St. Bernard crossing into
our yard.

S'prised hell out of me - it worked on the first try. YMMV

/Peet

Battlespace
May 12, 2005, 07:48 AM
I have a Beagle who is the ultimate escape artist. She will scale a fence if given half a chance. Last summer she was shot with a BB gun and still carries the BB in her side. I knew who it was and reported it to the local PD. I explained that yes, we need to keep the blasted Beagle in the yard, but the houses in our enighborhood are close together and with kids playing around them using a BB gun with power enough to penertrate the skin of a dog would do the same to a kid. They, the PD, agreed and had a talk with the guy. So far so good, the Beagle has escaped two or three times this spring and no shots fired. I would hate to see him pointing/aiming a rifle at my yard with me in it, I might construe that as a direct threat to me and . . . . . . . . . . . .

TC66
May 12, 2005, 07:54 AM
Go with the Stingray from Walmart. Not a lot of money invested and semi auto. Not bad accuracy. I am sure they will learn after a paintball or two hits them.

rust collector
May 12, 2005, 08:11 AM
It's a dog. Dog owners are absolutely liable for their pets. Humans are obligated to treat animals humanely, not punish them for their owners' negligence.

Start with pleasant, non-confrontational request to owner. Then proceed to animal control. Then, if that doesn't work, camera and city attorney. If no joy there, markers may be warranted but carry a risk of injury to the animal and violation of city ordinance.

thebaldguy
May 12, 2005, 11:01 AM
I had a similar situation with my neighbor. He's a nice guy, but he lets his dog run loose in the neighborhood leaving large lineman sized deposits. I would never use any sort of BB gun on the dog per the reasons stated above. My girlfriend and I now use a shovel and throw the piles back into his yard. I think he finally got the message, as I now see him searching my front yard for his dog droppings. As for the loose dogs, let animal control take care of it. He would let his dog run loose in our area, and people know to call animal control to take care of it. That's why you pay taxes. After a few hefty fines for letting his dog run loose, I think he's finally getting the message...

stevelyn
May 12, 2005, 11:22 AM
I kill problem dogs coming onto my property. Pet owners are responsible for their animals. If their problem dog gets whacked because the owner dosen't have enough sense or responsibility to control it, they have no room to b1tch about it.
If you live someplace that may have a problem with you firing on your property and you can't find a quiet enough way to shoot, d-con spiked food works rather well. The beauty of it is they die someplace else and the carcass becomes someone elses problem.

Vern Humphrey
May 12, 2005, 12:02 PM
The paintball idea is a good one, combine pain compliance for the animals tresspassing on YOUR territory w/ minimal risk of permanent harm as well as identification for the owners that their pet is being a hassle.

"Hello? 911? There's a HUGE dog running loose on our street! It threatened our children! I barely got them to safety in the house! My husband marked it with a paintgun so you can identify it when you come. Be careful! It's dangerous!"

30 cal slob
May 12, 2005, 12:35 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but you can buy felt/cloth pellets for your pellet gun. They are intended for pesky critters like cats and dogs. I don't know how well they work, though.

If a dog is tickin me off, I'll leave it french fries drenched in tabasco or green habanero sauce (yum). It doesn't harm the dogs, but dogs do get agitated after awhile and leave (to get a drink of water).

erik the bold
May 12, 2005, 02:12 PM
[unclejimbomodeon] "It's comin' right for us!!" [unclejimbomodeoff] :D

g56
May 12, 2005, 04:24 PM
The airsoft idea has merit, it would sting the dog but wouldn't cause any permanent injury. It's probably illegal to discharge a firearm, and most cities have ordinances against using a BB or pellet gun, but I bet they don't have anything on paint ball guns or airsoft.

DarkKnight01
May 12, 2005, 05:53 PM
I say go with the BB gun idea... look into local BS laws on shooting dog with BB gun first... altho if they were in my yard with my children around being agressive id terminate them on the spot...

The BB gun in the butt idea works great though... had many dogs that used to come into my yard and eat my dogs food... a pellet in the posterior and none ever returned... there may have been some kinda law on it dont really know and I dont really care, No one saw and problem solved :evil:

trickyasafox
May 12, 2005, 06:05 PM
firearm laws are moot concerning paintball. in NY state it has to propel an object over 500fps to be considered a firearm. paintball markers, when functioning under normal circumstances with normal paint, cannot reach that velocity though i've seen some try (i was a ref in high school for 2 different fields) animal cruelty is a real concern, i would call the police and report some aggressive behavior by the dogs, that way, god forbid you do shoot them and they are hurt, you at least have a defense saying you reported the dogs for agressive and violent behavior adn you were just watching out for your wife and young family. im lucky that im rural enough not to have to worry about the dogs of others cause it seems you got a very potentially nasty situation on your hand. :uhoh:

Andrew Rothman
May 12, 2005, 06:55 PM
Oh for Pete's sake, people! Does everything need to be solved with projectile weapons?

(I guess it's true: When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail!)

You say you know who most of the owners are. How `bout -- i dunno -- talking to them, neighbor-to-neighbor?

Remind them there's a leash law. Remind them that the pound will charge them a bundle to spring their dogs. Then politely encourage them to keep their dogs in their own yards.

Then, if you keep seeing the same dogs, call Animal Control. That's what you pay them for.

Be a man, a good neighbor, and a good citizen.

Shooting is a last resort, remember?

FRIENDLY
May 12, 2005, 07:04 PM
I have said this before and it is still valid- obtain one of those super soaker pump water rifles fill it with a weak solution of chlorine or ammonia detergent and icy cold water - end of problem. NO dog or cat will stay around for a second shot

JohnKSa
May 12, 2005, 09:20 PM
The owners will get the idea after paying to retrieve the dog from the pound a time or two.BE SURE to specify that you do not want the dog released to the owner without a fine being paid. A lot of times the animal control folks will waive any fines and penalties in the interest of reuniting a "lost" animal with its "family."

MassHunter2190
May 12, 2005, 09:35 PM
A. If you know the owner(s), confront them about the problems and tell them if they don't take care of the situation themselves, you will.

B. (Assuming plan 1.-A. doesn't work) Pick up all the dog crap, put in paper bag, place on door step, set on fire, ring doorbell, run.

2. (Assuming plan 1.-B. doesn't work) Buy a paintball marker, some bright paint, (you can dip the paint in whatever smelly substance if you want to), shoot dogs a couple of times, hope for the best.

3. (I think you get it by now) Buy a low powered BB gun, maybe one of those single pump Daisys, hit them a couple of times with that. (you could move up to a higher powered pellet gun if you wanted to)

4. Contact Animal Control and tell them about the situation, ask about live traps.

5. Try trapping them yourself. You could try using ur garage as mentioned above, or anything else you can think of.

6. Tell owners, (assuming you know who they are), that if they do not retrieve their dogs within 24 hours or they will have no dogs.

7. Bust out the 12 gauge.

(If it was me I'd switch #7 and #3 around)

Greg L
May 12, 2005, 09:36 PM
Peet has a good idea for an inexpensive start to the solution.

My neighbor's dog was constantly getting into my trash & spreading it around the yard. After I peed on the cans he would stay away & leave them alone (at least until the next rain storm).

It sounds like you are in a fairly densely populated neighborhood. You may want to mark your territory after dark :D .

Kestrel
May 12, 2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the ideas.

As for traps... hmm... I remember seeing some in the movie, "The Green Berets", that would probably work...

Well, I've had a couple of successes, so far. I spoke to the neighbor up the street with the unpleasant, stalking chow-mix. The guy wasn't pleasant either, but the dog has not been on the streets since.

I also spoke to animal control this morning about one of the addresses (I didn't have the other addresses, yet). They sent an animal control officer to their house and I haven't seen their german shepard out since (he's usually out a LOT). I feel sorry for this particular dog. They got him at a pet store, so I'm sure he's from a puppy mill. He'll most likely be retarded and dragging his rear end when he gets older. They keep him in a dog crate ON THEIR BACK DECK, while they're gone. Pouring rain or storm - he's out there.

I wonder if something like a ball of raw ground beef left in the yard, with a habanero in the center might discourage some of the others in the meantime? Mix garlic powder in it, so the dog wouldn't smell the habanero? Of course, if I forgot about it's location and my dog found it when I was walking him, I guess I would have to listen to him whine for a while...

I like the idea of trapping the dog in the garage and calling animal control. That is probably the best idea. That way I can have a face-to-face conversation with them when they pick up the dog - make sure they realize this has been an on-going problem, so they don't release the dog to the owner without taking it seriously.

Thanks again... Time to clean up the street...

Harry Paget Flashman
May 12, 2005, 11:40 PM
When I lived in Hawaii in 1980 my neighbor's dog, a 30lbs mutt named "Bear", used to terrorize my 2 and 3 year old daughters whenever they went out in the back yard. The neighbor insisted the dog was harmless and refused to restrain the dog. I fed him pieces of hotdogs over a period of a few days and when the weekend came around the kids and I lured "Bear" into our car with more hotdogs and drove to MacDonalds in Wahiawa in the middle of the island. "Bear" enjoyed the ride and the kids shared their Happy Meals with him. Before driving home we opened the car door and had "Bear" fetch a french fry.

My kids still remember that episode and I think it gave them confidence in problem solving. "Bear" never found his way home.

Malamute
May 13, 2005, 12:19 AM
Someone mentioned a clean simple way to give you leverage. Camera.

If you have pictures of the dog(s) taking a dump in your yard, and you know where that dog lives, you can provide the animal control folks with pictures and where to go talk to people.

I've had problem dogs hanging around causing trouble. One wouldn't leave, and was acting aggressive to me and my dog. A 30-30 round into the ground with the muzzle under his belly convinced him to leave. It was someones lion dog that got out of range on a hunt.

Sounds a bit extreme to poison or shoot a dog just becaus it's wandering around loose, IF it's not acting aggressive. Don't be surprised if someone takes it personal.

I knew a guy in Fairbanks that kept a BB gun to run moose out of his yard. Worked pretty well.

Stand_Watie
May 13, 2005, 02:51 AM
This will cost you 30 or 40 bucks at the home depot, won't get you into trouble with the animal cruelty laws, and will work 24/7

http://www.safepets.com/Images/ss-725.jpg

http://www.safepets.com/fidoshock.html

You don't need to fence your entire yard, just run strategic hotwires that you know the dogs will touch.

Ridge
May 13, 2005, 03:57 AM
I know a bit about electric fences(I use to fence in our backyard garden) after leaving the fence on when I wasn't tending the garden the dogs and cats that liked doing their business there stoped.

I've also had to take care of dangerous and troublesome animals, the troublesome dogs and cats I didn't shoot with my usual weapons (Shotguns,pistols,or rifles) I took care of them with a crossman pelet rifle I would only use BB's and pump it up three times for dogs and 0ne or two times for cats.

The dangerous animals were taken care of with a 22. Rifle or a shotgun.

The best bet for your situation would be to use a pump BB gun if all else fails.

rugerman
May 13, 2005, 11:45 AM
Several years ago we had a problem with a group of deer hunters who ran deer with dogs. They had a small piece of land that they leased next to several other peoples land and they would let their dogs out so they would run the deer off our land and on to theirs then the dogs would be out for days and mess up our hunts. One neighbor shot a few and hung their collars on a post at the dog hunters parking area that caused a lot of problems. So when I found out that the local dog pound had a night holding pen we would catch as many of the dogs as we could, drop them off at the pound with collars attached and the pound would call the hunting club and charge them $25 a head to pick them up. After about the third trip they kept their dogs off our land. rugerman

Tinker
May 13, 2005, 11:49 AM
One of my dogs came in to season last year. She went in the kennel. Her scent didn't. Came home there's 3 males hangin' around and fighting each other over the caged lady. I just left them alone becuase they weren't hurting anything or getting her pregant. Changed my mind at midnight went the sounds of the them scrapping was keeping me awake on a work night. Just happened to have my brother's semi-auto paintball rig. Loaded it with balls and CO2 and cleaned house. I've been shot in the belly with this same gun, so I know why they didn't come back. :)

YodaVader
May 13, 2005, 12:08 PM
Paintballs...hard to say what they (authorities) might think of it, their reaction could range from cruelty to "who cares", it's a crap shoot on possible consequences

One guy here in town had a problem canine that continued to show up at his place and he tattooed the dog several times with his paintball gun - and he is a policeman!

A lot of responses have mentioned contacting the dog's owners first. Well , that is fine if you know who the owners are. A lot of times I am sure the "victims" have no idea who the dog's owners are.

Kestrel
May 13, 2005, 12:18 PM
Harry - that's a great story. A friend of mine did the same thing years ago. There was large dog that kept coming in his yard and neighbors' yards and it was unfriendly to the kids. He lured the dog into the back of his SUV and took a drive. The dog never came back. The neighbors all seemed pleased he wasn't around any more.

Does anyone know if there is any difference in quality, between the Crossman and Daisy pump-up ari rifles? I shot someones Daisy pump a while back and it had a HEAVY trigger. They weren't that way, when I was a kid. Is the Crossman better?

Thanks.

Bullet Bob
May 13, 2005, 02:23 PM
A Golden Retriever with an unpleasant disposition? Now I've heard everything!.

MassHunter2190
May 14, 2005, 12:02 AM
They keep him in a dog crate ON THEIR BACK DECK, while they're gone. Pouring rain or storm - he's out there.
Now that right there just p*sses me off.

As for trapping, maybe 5 years ago we had a pitbull running around our farm with no collar or anything. I was able to get close to it withing a month of feeding and gently talking to it, getting closer and closer each day while making sure to try to read how it was reacting to invoid an attack. (Yes, I was armed when I did this.) Anyway, just a couple days before I was planning on trying to put a collar on it and bring it home to find it a good home, a cop shows up and drops it with a 12 gauge. Ohhhh man, now THAT got me going, almost all the way to jail.

So if you have time and patience, it is possible to tame most any dog. Just make sure to be careful.

JohnKSa
May 14, 2005, 12:14 AM
Just make sure to be careful.Also make sure it doesn't hurt anyone else or damage any property in the meantime...

Combat-wombat
May 14, 2005, 12:30 AM
I will also support the paintball idea. Paintballs hitting at 300 fps stings but doesn't injure. Also, as previously mentioned, it marks the dog. Paintball guns can be had for little money, especially if your only use is keeping the neighborhood dogs under control.

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=h1YJybUY55EJ6_ed-OvJYb--Iha8FS4a6cU=?ProductID=dLasFAY7XxMAAAD3q8ClA_2s

entropy
May 14, 2005, 08:58 PM
Here's how to get rid of the dog poop in your yard. Pour bacon grease over it. It won't be there long, and it's kind of a funny way of recycling. (I'm assuming you don't have dogs.) I've never used anti-freeze, but I know someone who has, and it is effective. When a neighbor's German Shepard killed my next door neighbors rabbits, I drew a bead on him with a .410 while he growled at me, but since he didn't attack me, I didn't shoot. His owner saw the blood all over him and figured it out. Never saw him again.

Whatsit
May 14, 2005, 09:50 PM
Umm..squirt gun? Why go to extremes? most dogs don't like a squirt in the face. If they are friendly dogs, they probably won't be aggressive and just leave.

Gunsnrovers
May 14, 2005, 09:55 PM
First thing I would do is try to track down the owners.

Yes it's your yard. However you live in a nieghborhood. Talk to your nieghbors. If you don't know the owners, maybe someone does. Ask other dog owners in your area what they now.

If you're in the sticks, it's one thing, but if you're in a community you don't live in a vacuum.

Part of being in a "community" is working with your nieghbors.

Doesn't mean you have to roll over and take it. It does mean you have an obligation to take the higher road. One day the shoe may be on the other foot.

3006mv
August 11, 2007, 01:43 AM
call animal control, trap the dog, call animal control, talk to the owners. does kidnapping a dog seem a little mean? what is the difference between that and idiots dumping/abandoning their own dog somewhere far from home? the dog does not know where it is, then it tries to get back home, if it is lucky it will not be hit by a car, poisoned, abused, starve, get attacked by other dogs, attack other dogs etc, end up biting a kid or someone trying to help it. if you really think about it it is not the dogs' fault it is their owners' and sometimes some dogs are real escape artists but it is still up to the owners to try everything {i.e. buy and build a covered (to prevent climbing) dog kennel on a solid pad (to prevent digging)} to keep their own dog safe in their own yards. trapping animals is kinda fun actually, paintball may be even more fun though.

Geronimo45
August 11, 2007, 01:50 AM
One word. Airsoft.
Yes! Airsoft guns can be pretty cheap. Get a reasonably priced electric model. Load with 20, 30 plastic BBs. Hit dog. Dog should scram with no injury. Most of the electrics have a full-auto option.

Rugerman99
August 11, 2007, 02:15 AM
For the other dogs i would like many others suggest an air soft gun there cheap, will leave no permanent injury to the dog, quiet, most likely legal and those little bbs sting like hell the dog will get the message very quickly. IMHO

tasco 74
August 11, 2007, 03:35 AM
i was in my garage casting bullets a couple of years ago when i heard this low growl and i turned and saw two of biggest dogs i'd ever seen standing in the door looking at me and growling........ i yelled at my wife to get my handgun and call 911... imade a quick move toward them at about the time she got the .357 to me and they ran off...... i dropped in 158 gr jsps and waited ..... the sherrif showed up in about 5 minutes and i was standing in my drive with the handgun..... i told him they come back i'm taking em out.... he said i see that..... then he said did they scare ya? i said d^mn right they scared me ... he said take em out........ i found out who's dogs they were and went over for a visit..... the girl came to the door and i said you have two big dogs? (they were bull mastiffs)... she said yes why? then i told her the deal and said if they come back to my place i'm taking them out... she said you can't kill my dogs... so i replied yes i can..... then she said are you threatening me? nope i said.... you're threatening me! she said nope i replied i'm not i'mjust trying to tell ya what's going to happen...... if they come back to my place they'll be laying in a pile.... about that time her black boy friend stepped out and said if you have trouble with me or my dogs you go to the cops.... i said i've done that now i'm telling ya......... i walked off the porch....... i haven't seen the dogs since........ yep talking to folks helps......

Cosmoline
August 11, 2007, 03:46 AM
Why has this thread been revived?

Also, Tasco. Go easy on the ellipses there.

coelacanth
August 11, 2007, 05:55 AM
the urine idea usually works around your property and putting it in a spray bottle keeps you from alarming the neighbors during application:scrutiny: An old fashioned wrist rocket slingshot with a marble in the pouch usually takes care of the dog problem. Also, dogs are completely unnerved by the sound of a bull roarer and will vacate the area immediately.

mesomorphcujo
August 11, 2007, 07:05 AM
"Also, dogs are completely unnerved by the sound of a bull roarer and will vacate the area immediately."

Most people won't know what that is, but it's an interesting method, have to get one and try it sometime.

Bodyslams work good also.

Marlin 45 carbine
August 11, 2007, 10:33 AM
use a pump-up pellet rifle about 5-6 pumps and a flat-nose 'target' pellet. that will get their attention more than a BB gun.

birddog
August 11, 2007, 10:40 AM
I'm a die hard hunter, not exactly an animal activist, but I'm also a dog owner. I'm really surprised at the number of people advocating shooting at a dog in these threads. My dogs are very well conditioned to stay in my yard, but they have wandered from time to time into my neighbor's yard, as my neighbor's dogs have done into mine.

Scare them away. Bang some pots together. It doesn't take much. But don't shoot at someone's dog -- with anything! If someone shot one of my dogs (in the eye, for example) with a paintball because they wandered off after a rabbit or something, they would be visited by the friendly neighborhood sheriff's deputy.

Get a grip.

crankshop1000
August 11, 2007, 10:42 AM
Any idiot advocating shooting a dog with a pellet gun needs their head examined.If animal control wont deal with the problem and a dog is doing something that merits shooting it,shoot the dog and get it over with permanently.Be prepared to face the consequences afterward.

Geno
August 11, 2007, 10:46 AM
I say speak to the owner. Times have changed. Used to be a day that if a dog wandered onto your land it could be shot (rightfully or wrongly). At that time, a dog was a dog. Nowadays, dogs are considered by some to be on an even level to humans...family. And yes, I know of one "gentleman" who went to prison for killing the guy who kicked his dog. :scrutiny:

woof
August 11, 2007, 11:49 AM
If you know where they live you should spend a few bucks and have a lawyer send a letter to each owner making whatever kind of scary legal threats he can come up with. You will be doing the whole neighborhood a big favor.

xjchief
August 11, 2007, 12:20 PM
I really can't believe that some of you advocate shooting another persons pet that does not pose a threat to you. Of course you have a right to defend yourself from a threatening dog and a duty to protect your family. However, if you're having a problem with a dog pooping on your lawn or ripping through your garbage that is completely different. Be a man and talk to the owner if you know who's animal it is.

If that doesn't solve the problem, file a complaint and have the animal picked up by animal control.

You wouldn't like the result it if I was on the jury when you came up for for cruelty to animal charges, discharging a firearm illegally, or wreckless endangerment charges. Good luck with the "that golden retriever had me fearing for my life" argument.

Oh yeah, and remember, that pet owner may not take the high road either if some kind of harm comes to their pet and they know who's responsible.

:mad:

Catbird
August 11, 2007, 12:26 PM
If a strange dog comes onto my property and acts aggressively toward me or any family member, I'm going to shoot it with either a BB gun or pellet gun in its torso. If, on the other hand, it's not bothering anything or anybody, a stern "GO HOME!" will usually cause it leave.

rich0372
August 11, 2007, 12:29 PM
are you kidding me I'm a dog lover I have 3 and if someone shoot my dogs with anything (if they got out) there would be some major issues:fire:

Now I agree it is the owners fault not the dogs so call the owners or go to there house and talk to them. Gt the dog warden involved.

If you put up a fence problem solved. I think all dog owners should fence in there yard...it not only keeps the dogs in it keeps other animals out esspecially harmful ones

Larry Ashcraft
August 11, 2007, 12:36 PM
This old thread is going south in a hurry.

Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "BB/Pellet Gun for Dog Control" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!