General purpose shotgun?

PDA

pangris
May 14, 2005, 08:53 PM
I am thinking about getting back into shotgun sporting - skeet, action clays, etc.

I am inclined toward the Remington line of guns, specifically the 11-87 with a 26 to 28 inch barrel.

This would be a general purpose gun if I decided to go hunting, etc.

I already have an 11-87 Police model. It has been excellent, and I prefer to only stock replacement parts for one kind of gun...

That said it doesn't seem many people use them. Any particular reason?

FWIW, I *do not* want an 870.

Paul

If you enjoyed reading about "General purpose shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kudu
May 14, 2005, 09:06 PM
I have an older 11-87 that's had many thousands of rounds through it and has done me well. But... if I had it to do over again I would get a Beretta 391 or the Win SX2 . I also have 3 1100's in the small gauges.

There are more 1100's in the clay fields than 11-87's because the 87 has had some factory lemons put out that has soured quite a few people on them. I have never met a person that was disappointed with there Beretta 390-391 shotguns, and hear many good things about the SX2's. I see lots of 391's on trap, skeet, and sporting fields.

sm
May 14, 2005, 09:18 PM
Back when I was competing, the 11-87's did not hold up. This is not to say they can't and won't, in fact the distinguished Mr. kudu runs one and has not had problems.

kudu and I agree to disagree btw.

So for a Gas gun:
Remington :
I personally prefer the 1100's. I would highly recommend an OLDER 1100 btw. I never use anything but 2 3/4" shells for everthing anyway, from clays to geese to deer..

Beretta: 303s, 390/391 series are great guns.

Winchester:
Now if it were me, I'd go with a SX2. I *might * be a bit biased tho' :p Only put over 200k rds thru one of my SX1s...who knows all total how many rds I have put thru all mine, and others...

Humpbacks, are another repeater to consider, tho not many seen on the skeet/ trap/ clay fields.

Any of the BIG Four Pumps are recommended - IF- you want to shoot clay games with a pump.

Clay games are ruled by gas guns in 12 bore, and some 20 bores. BY far the clay games are ruled by the O/Us with tube sets. In my day bbl sets were popular - I personally like bbl sets.

Still think one of the most fun things to while dressed is shooting 5 stand with a Model 97, :p

When told to get a more "modern gun" grab a model 12 ,or Ithaca 37 ;)

Tacoma
May 14, 2005, 10:28 PM
I'd vote Rem 1100 or (especially) Beretta 390 . Either in 12 ga and 28" should work well.

TrapperReady
May 14, 2005, 10:38 PM
For a "do-it-all" shotgun, you would be hard pressed to beat a Beretta 391 Sporting. I've got one I've used extensively for shooting trap and sporting clays... and it performed flawlessly all during last duck season.

pangris
May 15, 2005, 05:17 PM
I rented a Beretta 391 today... very nice! Maybe even enough to convert me...

pangris
May 15, 2005, 09:11 PM
Well, I ended up buying a Beretta 391... for my wife. 26" barrel in 20 ga. They "made me an offer I couldn't refuse". That said I'll probably use it a bit myself... light, easy to point, great gun. Can't wait to get to the club next week.

Looking forward to/dreading the can't be refused offer on the 12 ga... :)

Paul

If you enjoyed reading about "General purpose shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!