General purpose shotgun?

May 14, 2005, 09:53 PM
I am thinking about getting back into shotgun sporting - skeet, action clays, etc.

I am inclined toward the Remington line of guns, specifically the 11-87 with a 26 to 28 inch barrel.

This would be a general purpose gun if I decided to go hunting, etc.

I already have an 11-87 Police model. It has been excellent, and I prefer to only stock replacement parts for one kind of gun...

That said it doesn't seem many people use them. Any particular reason?

FWIW, I *do not* want an 870.

If you enjoyed reading about "General purpose shotgun?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
May 14, 2005, 10:06 PM
I have an older 11-87 that's had many thousands of rounds through it and has done me well. But... if I had it to do over again I would get a Beretta 391 or the Win SX2 . I also have 3 1100's in the small gauges.

There are more 1100's in the clay fields than 11-87's because the 87 has had some factory lemons put out that has soured quite a few people on them. I have never met a person that was disappointed with there Beretta 390-391 shotguns, and hear many good things about the SX2's. I see lots of 391's on trap, skeet, and sporting fields.

May 14, 2005, 10:18 PM
Back when I was competing, the 11-87's did not hold up. This is not to say they can't and won't, in fact the distinguished Mr. kudu runs one and has not had problems.

kudu and I agree to disagree btw.

So for a Gas gun:
Remington :
I personally prefer the 1100's. I would highly recommend an OLDER 1100 btw. I never use anything but 2 3/4" shells for everthing anyway, from clays to geese to deer..

Beretta: 303s, 390/391 series are great guns.

Now if it were me, I'd go with a SX2. I *might * be a bit biased tho' :p Only put over 200k rds thru one of my SX1s...who knows all total how many rds I have put thru all mine, and others...

Humpbacks, are another repeater to consider, tho not many seen on the skeet/ trap/ clay fields.

Any of the BIG Four Pumps are recommended - IF- you want to shoot clay games with a pump.

Clay games are ruled by gas guns in 12 bore, and some 20 bores. BY far the clay games are ruled by the O/Us with tube sets. In my day bbl sets were popular - I personally like bbl sets.

Still think one of the most fun things to while dressed is shooting 5 stand with a Model 97, :p

When told to get a more "modern gun" grab a model 12 ,or Ithaca 37 ;)

May 14, 2005, 11:28 PM
I'd vote Rem 1100 or (especially) Beretta 390 . Either in 12 ga and 28" should work well.

May 14, 2005, 11:38 PM
For a "do-it-all" shotgun, you would be hard pressed to beat a Beretta 391 Sporting. I've got one I've used extensively for shooting trap and sporting clays... and it performed flawlessly all during last duck season.

May 15, 2005, 06:17 PM
I rented a Beretta 391 today... very nice! Maybe even enough to convert me...

May 15, 2005, 10:11 PM
Well, I ended up buying a Beretta 391... for my wife. 26" barrel in 20 ga. They "made me an offer I couldn't refuse". That said I'll probably use it a bit myself... light, easy to point, great gun. Can't wait to get to the club next week.

Looking forward to/dreading the can't be refused offer on the 12 ga... :)

If you enjoyed reading about "General purpose shotgun?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!