Question about MD laws

PDA

nico
May 18, 2005, 02:24 AM
I know (or at least it seems to be a pretty common interpretation) that a loaded magazine is considered to have the same legal status as a loaded gun in this state :barf:, but what about stripper clips? If a person had a dozen loaded stripper clips in their trunk on the way to the range, would that be the same as carrying a loaded gun or magazine?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about MD laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
whm1974
May 18, 2005, 04:55 AM
Some ammo gets shipped in stripper clips, so I would leave the ammo in the box. Keep in mind waht the laws says and what the courst says the law says are very two diffenct things.

-Bill

Norton
May 18, 2005, 06:28 AM
nico,

Ammo on stripper clips is the same as a loaded magazine.

Don't ask me for where I saw it because at this point in the school year I don't have the mental capacity to remember my own name half of the time :p

As always when dealing with MD gun laws.....better to err on the side of caution because if you think it's against the law, it most assuredly is.

pcf
May 18, 2005, 09:13 AM
Maryland laws: nice and vague. Keeps us on our toes.

BTW it's a loaded magazine (or speedloader, etc) in proximity to a firearm is considered a loaded firearm. Something that is frowned upon when transporting firearms, in this great state.

SKS or Garand clips I'd leave them unloaded.

Easiest way to avoid problems:
1) don't drive like an idiot to and from the range, hunting, events, etc
2) Put guns in a locking case, put ammo in a seperate locking case.
3)Don't tell anyone what's in the trunk. Don't open them for the police unless they have a warrant.

K-Romulus
May 18, 2005, 10:44 AM
I read in the MD Code that loaded rifle magazines in public are banned under the Fish & Game laws, (can find the cite if someone wants), but as the specific handgun transport law is written, handguns only need be "unloaded" as far as I can tell (I've complained about this here before, but have yet to actually talk to a real live MD lawyer about it :confused: )

Anyhoo, I remember somewhere in the MD AR-15 site saying that stripper clips are OK, but not loaded magazines. It was in the context of prepping your stuff for a trip to the range, and not being able to load the magazines at home. Of course, I can't find that exact part of the MDAR15 site now . . . :(

Rabid Rabbit
May 18, 2005, 12:58 PM
I spoke with the MSP about this, I forget the Officers position but it was firearm related. I asked about stripper clips for my mauser, I wanted to load them at home and carry to the range to spend less time loading more time shooting. He told me ammo and gun must be in separate compartments and if possible the gun in the trunk. I confirmed in a normal car gun in trunk, ammo in passenger compartment. He was pretty hot about "why do you want to carry loaded mags" I held my tongue and didn't say you do why can't I, but ..... I really need to write to the AG about the law.

anapex
May 18, 2005, 01:45 PM
I really need to write to the AG about the law.

Don't bother, until we get Curran out of there you'll get the same kind of response.

Rabid Rabbit
May 18, 2005, 03:37 PM
With any luck he'll run for Sarbanes spot, get shreaded during the primary and get put out to pasture, ditto for Omally, Kafumie and the rest of those idiots.

nico
May 18, 2005, 05:19 PM
Don't ask me for where I saw it because at this point in the school year I don't have the mental capacity to remember my own name half of the time

I hear ya. I had my second 8am final this week this morning and have my two hardest (and last of undergrad! :D ) finals on Friday back to back starting at 8.

Easiest way to avoid problems:
1) don't drive like an idiot to and from the range, hunting, events, etc
2) Put guns in a locking case, put ammo in a seperate locking case.
3)Don't tell anyone what's in the trunk. Don't open them for the police unless they have a warrant.
I do that as much as possible. My problem is that I can't fit a long gun case in my trunk without folding down my back seat, so it would be in plain view. This is never really an issue when shooting trap as the range is about 10 minutes from my house. But, when I go to the rifle range (about an hour away) I make sure to put a cable lock on any case I happen to be taking with me. I also put ammo in a separate (although usually unlocked) 5.56mm surplus ammo can, but I guess I ought to start putting a lock on that too just to be safe.

the reason I started this thread is I'm planning on buying a Yugo SKS in the next couple of weeks and it would make things much simpler if I could load a dozen or so stripper clips and head to the range. The ammo I plan on buying (which is the cheapest I've found at $110 shipped) is Wolf from midwayusa, so having it shipped to me in stripper clips isn't a big issue. If anybody happens to know of a cheaper place to get 7.62x39mm ammo (especially if it comes with clips), feel free to let me know :).

anapex
May 18, 2005, 05:25 PM
With any luck he'll run for Sarbanes spot, get shreaded during the primary and get put out to pasture, ditto for Omally, Kafumie and the rest of those idiots.

I'll buy a lottery ticket as soon as that happens.

Lot's of place to get cheaper 7.62x39, I got 700 rounds from either Centerfire Systems or AIM for around $70. Not on strippers but those are cheap enough too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about MD laws" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!