Time to get them shotguns out folks...a la Hitchcock!!

PDA

Frandy
May 18, 2005, 11:12 AM
AP

Hostile Grackles Attack People in Houston

HOUSTON (AP) -- Like a scene from the horror movie "The Birds," large black grackles are swooping down on downtown Houston and attacking people's heads, hair and backs. Authorities closed off a sidewalk after the aggressive birds, which can have 2-foot wingspans, flew out of magnolia trees Monday in front of the County Administration Building.

If you enjoyed reading about "Time to get them shotguns out folks...a la Hitchcock!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
May 18, 2005, 12:18 PM
This raises the obvious question...

What shot size/choke combination for grackle hunting? :p

jobu07
May 18, 2005, 12:20 PM
Maybe the city of houston should set up some SAM sites? :D

Preacherman
May 18, 2005, 03:38 PM
Don't use shot, use Kelloggs - "snap, grackle, pop", remember?

:neener:

Dave R
May 18, 2005, 04:37 PM
Coming out of the magnolia trees in front of the County Administration building? For a moment, there, I thought grackles was a synonym for bureaucrats.

Shotguns in downtown aint gonna work. Pellet guns or blowguns might do...

sm
May 18, 2005, 04:38 PM
What shot size/choke combination for grackle hunting?
IC or Mod with the Old Win Pigeon load - except substitute the #7 1/2 for #6 or #5. *ahem* I personally prefer my #5 handloads that replicated the Pigeon load.

Don't ask - I won't have to 'plain it. :evil:

Dear Houston,

Have I gotta deal for you folks.

Allow us to hold a Redneck event, with the focus on Grackles of course. Supply the ammo, and we only want 25% of the ticket sales and concession sales.

Why you are welcome!

Steve.

Southbound and down - down Hwy 59... :D

Zrex
May 18, 2005, 04:41 PM
Luckily for everyone in Texas who has been plagued for years by these noisy smelly nuisances that crap everywhere --- they are protected by the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act.....

entropy
May 18, 2005, 04:44 PM
I once was doing a bit of impromptu trap shooting with a friend when a huge flock of grackes started flying over, at about 40 yards up. We both had modified choked shotguns, mine a 12 ga 870, his a 20 ga Win 1300. We shot about 4-5 boxes of AA Trap loads a piece at the noisy, black stream flowing above us, often knocking down several birds per round. When we ran out of shells, they continued to fly over us for another 20 minutes. Almost drove over to the gas station 1/2 mile away to get more shells, but our shoulders vetoed that. :p

20cows
May 19, 2005, 01:55 PM
#8's or #9's will do nicely. They ain't very tough, just obnoxious.

Black Majik
May 20, 2005, 04:18 AM
Alka Seltzer! :evil:

..... pop!....... :D

patentnonsense
May 20, 2005, 04:29 AM
Are grackles really migratory, or do people just wish they were??

mfree
May 20, 2005, 08:04 AM
Simple solution: If you walk there often, carry a tennis racket.

"squawk *woosh*" *smack* Good serve!

Smoke
May 20, 2005, 08:33 AM
Waco is plagued by the things. It would be great practice (though not all that challenging) for Dove season. Also do the City a favor by eleminating the noisy bast...umm...things.

I never have understood why the city is so uptight about shooting shotguns in the city limits. :eek:

There are plenty of perfectly safe shooting lanes in downtown Waco. Especially near the river.

My proposed new business: Redneck's Purging Grackles. (RPG) You furnish the shells and beer, no fees.

Smoke

MaterDei
May 20, 2005, 08:42 AM
Luckily for everyone in Texas who has been plagued for years by these noisy smelly nuisances that crap everywhere --- they are protected
At first I thought you were talking about the politicians.

I work in downtown Houston and these birds are very numerous and noisy. I believe their name comes from their sound. Pleasant, no? If you're not familiar with this bird it is very much like a crow, only slightly smaller and it has yellow eyes, not black. It also has longer tail feathers.

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24825&stc=1

Oh... and a big nasty beak perfectly sized for plucking out eye balls.

sm
May 20, 2005, 08:46 AM
Smoke, Myself , and a dog.

Gonna clean up this town... :D

Smoke, your dog able to drive your truck? I was thinking your pickup bed is bigger than mine, and without a Q-Beam in the way...well...you know..."Flurries - Texas Style" . :uhoh: :evil:

patentnonsense
May 20, 2005, 09:14 AM
Luckily for everyone in Texas who has been plagued for years by these noisy smelly nuisances that crap everywhere --- they are protected
At first I thought you were talking about the politicians.

ROTFL! Maybe we wouldn't have so many "special" sessions of our legislature if an equal number of grackles were included.

Me, I think it's kinda nice to hear them calling to each other at happy hour - but in the words of the old Glenn Miller song
"Don't park under the grackle tree...."

Zrex
May 20, 2005, 10:58 AM
"Don't park under the grackle tree...."

Ain't that the truth! When I was going to UT, I saw one car parked under a grackle tree that had about an inch worth of buildup covering the drivers side and top. No telling how long it had been parked there. I think I would have just thrown the keys in the river if it were my car.

If you enjoyed reading about "Time to get them shotguns out folks...a la Hitchcock!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!