Prairie Dawgs: Photoshop/Caption Fun

PDA

Skunkabilly
May 19, 2005, 03:04 PM
http://www.skunkabilly.com/images/temp/2005-05-07%20085158%20SAGU%20and%20ORPI.jpg
"Awww carp, it's Skunk!!! RUN!!!!"

http://www.skunkabilly.com/images/temp/2005-05-07%20085646%20SAGU%20and%20ORPI.jpg
"It's a good thing Skunk can't hit jack with a rifle...we're in trouble if he pulls that Beretta though."

http://www.skunkabilly.com/images/temp/2005-05-07%20085832%20SAGU%20and%20ORPI.jpg
The Last Supper

If you enjoyed reading about "Prairie Dawgs: Photoshop/Caption Fun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
May 19, 2005, 03:07 PM
Milliseconds Before Misty

:evil:

Fly320s
May 19, 2005, 03:11 PM
Hunting over a baited field, I see. Fine by me. :)

For the second photo: "These carrots taste like Kimchi." "Shut up and eat, so he won't shoot."

boofus
May 19, 2005, 03:39 PM
How can you shoot those guys? They look just like my pet hamster. :confused:

Do people eat prairie dogs? I've heard of people eating squirrels before. Isn't that just like eating a rat or a hamster? :uhoh:

El Tejon
May 19, 2005, 03:53 PM
boofus, up here squirrel is known as "the first course." :D

Those rodents look like they need the low carb Skunky lifestyle. You would think burrowing would burn a lot of blubber?

whm1974
May 19, 2005, 04:36 PM
Do people eat prairie dogs? I've heard of people eating squirrels before. Isn't that just like eating a rat or a hamster?

Bleech!!! They don't call squirrels tree rats for nothing.

-Bill

jsalcedo
May 19, 2005, 04:38 PM
Looks like the menu at my Uncle franks backyard Barbecues.

sm
May 19, 2005, 05:07 PM
Them Dawgs carry the "Black Plague".

Livestock have to be put down because of broken legs when caught in the entrances to Praire Towns or the livestock's weight causes them to fall into Towns. [ gives way under weight].

Costing $$$$ to losses in livestock.

Never been to a Dawg Town...but I will some day. My version of Play Misty for Me differs from the one Clint Eastwood starred in.

P95Carry
May 19, 2005, 05:17 PM
Ahah - some useful pics here - <scheme, plot> once I get some time to spare I am sure some ''tweaks'' can be done. :evil: :p

Oleg Volk
May 19, 2005, 05:25 PM
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/people/treerats0544.sized.jpg

El Tejon
May 19, 2005, 05:29 PM
Hmmm, how about rabbits? I have a whole regiment camped in my back yard. :uhoh:

BTW, does the young lady like Norah Jones and saki? :D

grampster
May 19, 2005, 06:00 PM
Wipe yer chin and apologize El T. :D

Monkeyleg
May 19, 2005, 06:49 PM
Prairie Dog Rule #1:

George Hill
May 19, 2005, 07:23 PM
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of..."

Moondoggie
May 19, 2005, 07:34 PM
There's practically no meat on a Prairie Dog. The one's that played "Misty" for me were mostly scattered fur and chewed-up grass.

Also, up close they're really mangy...not nearly as cute as in photos.

Squirrel was an occasional part of our diet when I was a kid. Had something to do with Mom & Dad growing up in rural NW MO during the depression exacerbated by both Grandpa's being worthless drunks.

Haven't had any in years, but I'd be on 'em like white on rice if the SHTF. Protien is protien...well, up to a point anyway.

ALASKACAJUN
May 19, 2005, 07:42 PM
We have "marmots" ( ground squirrels ) up here and my 22-250 is already out and waiting... No Limit, No Closed Season... I hope I can join the 500 yard club this summer, longest shot as of last year was 350, approx...

- Clint

Harry Tuttle
May 19, 2005, 07:50 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24804&stc=1

Psssniper
May 19, 2005, 08:00 PM
ha!

P95Carry
May 19, 2005, 08:11 PM
Prairie Dog Rule #1: Dick - that fella needs a new ''claws'' in his contract - sanctioning firearms! :p

Psssniper
May 19, 2005, 08:17 PM
awww

CB900F
May 19, 2005, 09:41 PM
Fella's;

Properly done, there's not enough left of a P-dog to eat. It's known as the 'Society Of The Red Mist', & I am a member. The 50gr Hornady V-Max exits the muzzle at a chrono'd 3960 fps. The perfect hit results in an expanding globe of red that gets to be about 2 to 2.5 feet in diameter. Other hits have been known to launch the target perhaps 8 to 10 feet in the air, while performing gyrations an olympic high diver can only envy.

The launch platform is a Ruger #1V in .220 Swift. Winchester brass, CCI primers, 45 gr of N160.

900F

wasrjoe
May 19, 2005, 11:26 PM
What would an M39 Mosin using softpoints do? I'd imagine there wouldn't be as much misting, but I've never been able to experiment. I'll have to try it someday...

chris in va
May 19, 2005, 11:59 PM
I'll never forget growing up in the Denver area. North of town there used to be huge PD towns and a couple times a year they'd get out there with the varmint rifles to 'thin the herd'.

It was classic listening to the Boulder liberals bitching about evaporating the dogs...

http://www.dogbegone.com/video.htm

UberPhLuBB
May 20, 2005, 01:13 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/skid2964/Forum_Stuff/dogbegone1.gif

kngflp
May 20, 2005, 01:51 AM
Not to sound like a tree hugger or somthing, but why shoot them? Do their burrows mess up your yard, do they steal grain or chew up stuff?

Commissar Gribb
May 20, 2005, 02:11 AM
I'm a varmint lover, so I'm torn...

though P-dogs aren't endangered AFAIK

nico
May 20, 2005, 02:17 AM
They carry the plague and their holes can cost cattle ranchers a lot of money in dead livestock when the cows step in them.

Commissar Gribb
May 20, 2005, 02:57 AM
so they're just a pain in the arse like racoons...
I'd have no qualms shooting a dozen of them :D

Billy Sparks
May 20, 2005, 07:46 AM
We don't have praire dogs in NC we have ground hogs. One ground hog can clean out a good sized soybean field. Ground Hogs are bigger but they don't live in as big a colonies.

jobu07
May 20, 2005, 07:53 AM
Ground Hogs are bigger but they don't live in as big a colonies. Tell me about it :( On the eastern half of the country, we actually have to spend some time looking for ground hogs. A'course, they are a lot bigger and fatter than you're prairy dogs out west. Not nearly as cute either :p But then again, dead is dead, and mist is mist ;)

280PLUS
May 20, 2005, 08:07 AM
Interesting link, the guy yelling "THAT"S SICK!!" called it the closest.

:p

MMcCall
May 20, 2005, 09:09 AM
Ever get the feeling you're being watched?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/matt.mccall/rat.jpg

HighVelocity
May 20, 2005, 10:12 AM
I'm working hard today. :neener:

sm
May 21, 2005, 02:48 PM
UberPhLuBB-
:D :D :D

I hope you don't mind if I make a copy of that.

A great visual, shows why does not "look like Prey" , awareness, and to keep moving - being static is not a good thing. Not to mention it is just too cool.

UberPhLuBB
May 21, 2005, 04:36 PM
Sure, no problem. I got it from a friend who either made it or got it somewhere else.

sm
May 21, 2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks!

dakotasin
May 21, 2005, 06:35 PM
Not to sound like a tree hugger or somthing, but why shoot them? Do their burrows mess up your yard, do they steal grain or chew up stuff?

no, they usually don't mess up your yard - unless your yard is several hundred acres, then yeah, they render the ground (all of it their colony is on) absolutely useless. they are a pest of the highest order.

I'd have no qualms shooting a dozen of them

why stop there? are ya tired already? 10 or 20 dozen is an average day...

rbernie
May 21, 2005, 06:47 PM
unless your yard is several hundred acres, then yeah, they render the ground (all of it their colony is on) absolutely useless. they are a pest of the highest order. For us mo-rons who've not had the (dis?)pleasure of their company - what do prairie dogs do that's so destructive?

Moondoggie
May 21, 2005, 08:00 PM
They completely consume all vegetation over a wide area. The biggest problem is that they compete for scarce forage with cattle and their burrows cause broken legs (death) for cows. They breed prolificly...their populations expand exponentially. Many land owners pay to have them exterminated...poisioned grain is dropped in their colonies. The Gov't also has poisioned them on BLM land. Folks who want to shoot them are generally encouraged by land owners.

Waitone
May 21, 2005, 08:01 PM
I'm gonna vector in PeTA to this thread. :D

Double Maduro
May 21, 2005, 08:02 PM
Do people eat prairie dogs? I've heard of people eating squirrels before. Isn't that just like eating a rat or a hamster?

There is nothing wrong with squirrels, rat, racoon, o'possum, ground hog, or anything else that wears hide or feathers.

I have eaten most of it and enjoyed it. When I was in high school in MO. we had a home economics teacher who encouraged those of us who hunted to bring what ever we had. She taught her classes to properly prepare all of the above and more.

By the way fellas, if you shoot them in the head there is a lot more meat left.

rbernie,

They burrow, they dig vast areas of tunnels and cattle fall through and break legs.

DM

kngflp
May 22, 2005, 02:52 PM
I am from the South but a city dweller, I wish we were encouraged to shoot our plague carrying varmints, crackheads. Not really killing poor innocent drug addicts that would slit your throat for a dollar is bad. I am a bad person for thinking it much less saying it, I am goin to punish myself by not touching any guns for 10 minutes.

Billll
May 22, 2005, 05:53 PM
The folks (read: city management) in Boulder drip with sympathy for the dogs, to the point that those in the way of developers get relocated to the city "green space" which will soon become the city "craters-of-the-moon space". I've talked to Boulderites, who were obviously not big gun fans, carefully looking over the club display of varmint rifles, and asking if any of them would be quiet enough to pop the ones that tunnel under the back fence and set up housekeeping in the back yard. I tell them that at that range, a good pellet gun would probably work, or failing that, they might try rat poison.

For birdwatchers who favor the raptors, go out to a dogtown and fire a single shot. The sky will magically fill with them.

one-shot-one
May 22, 2005, 06:19 PM
it is my understanding that the fleas carry the plage the p-dogs just carry the fleas.

AK-74me
May 22, 2005, 06:42 PM
I am pretty sure that clip is from www.dogbegone.com

go to videos for those that haven't seen them before it is a real treat.

jsalcedo
May 22, 2005, 08:27 PM
I would guess the problem lies with them being called prairie "dogs".

People love dogs.

Prairie dogs actually make a barking sound and are cool to watch as long as you don't have to deal with the mess they make.

If they were called prairie rats there would be much less noise coming from the rodent huggers.

Ky Larry
May 22, 2005, 08:31 PM
Anyone who eats hotdogs or bologna shouldn't complain about eating rodent. :neener:

sm
May 22, 2005, 09:22 PM
www.dogbegone.com

Thanks! I have new fun site to peruse.

Still looking for someone lobbing slugs...I know what a 12 bore slug will do to a groundhog. I could have sworn the 'hog barked " Incomin' !" :evil:

cidirkona
May 22, 2005, 09:56 PM
As long as people are trying to change the definition of science(read: stupid school PC BS), why not change the name of "prairie dogs" to "prairie rats."

My dad told me stories of throwing out bread near the dump and sitting in the back of the trucks with the lights off, then quickly flipping on the lights and just opening up on the little devils...

-Colin

Skunkabilly
May 23, 2005, 07:50 PM
There is nothing wrong with squirrels, rat, racoon, o'possum, ground hog, or anything else that wears hide or feathers.

Are you Chinese?

BigSlick
May 23, 2005, 11:11 PM
It's a trap !

Double Maduro
May 24, 2005, 12:52 AM
Skunk said,

Are you Chinese?

Actually, my ethnic background is German, Irish, and English. I almost glow in the dark.

I grew up on a little farm in Missouri. There were times when if we didn't shoot something there was no meat for dinner. Then when I was in the Army I learned to take advantage of what was around.

Since then I have been kind of adventuresome when it comes to food. The only food that I have had that I don't like is cottage cheese. I just don't see any point to it, but if it comes to eating cottage cheese or going hungry, pass me a spoon.

I have eaten most of the creatures that roam North America, and enjoyed them immensly. We tend to get to hung up on what something looks like.

I haven't tried skunk though, hmmmmm, here kitty, kitty, kitty.

DM

Larry Ashcraft
May 24, 2005, 10:11 AM
sm, you are hereby invited to a "dawg" town shoot. We killed about 70 of the nasty little critters last Saturday. Longest shot offered is about 200 yds. I used my .17 HMR and Sandy took the shots under 100 yds using .22 lr Stingers.

This place is about seven miles from my house, and I've got a standing invitation to come shoot anytime. It's a horse pasture, about eight acres, and the dogs have made a complete mess of it.

torpid
May 24, 2005, 10:51 AM
"Boys...(chitter)...AVENGE ME !!! "

Jay Kominek
May 24, 2005, 01:01 PM
Prairie dogs actually make a barking sound Sounds more like a chirp, to me. A high squeaky chirp of "shoot me! shoot me!"

The open spaces in the Boulder, CO area are just littered with prarie dog holes. Absolute ugly mess in some places. At least no livestock is grazing in it.

Shooting them isn't very likely to depopulate a town, as far as I know. Just slows 'em down a bit. My family only ever got them off our 25 acres when we paid someone to plug the holes and drop cyanide in the tunnels.

chris in va
May 24, 2005, 01:49 PM
And one more thing I might point out, in many areas the prairie dog shoots are actually preferred as an alternative to poisoning their burrows. The greenies whine about cyanide in the dirt and turn to the varmint hunters for a 'solution'.

Vasilia Zhietzev
May 24, 2005, 01:56 PM
chris: cool varmint pics.

are they as pesky as groundhogs? apparently i have family living behind my house now - the golf course was developed, so we now have a lot of displaced wildlife.

Harry Tuttle
May 24, 2005, 03:02 PM
ground hogs make a bigger hole,
but prairie dogs make huge colonies

LabGrades solution:
http://www.toms-place.lovelandnet.com/writing/pdf/pdft.htm

The new sport of prairie dog fishing has taken the West by firestorm. Since there is no controlling legal authority prohibiting prairie dog fishing it is a perfectly fun legal way to enjoy some quality time with family and friends. No license is required!

Ranch hands and out door enthusiasts throughout the western states have secretly enjoyed prairie dog fishing for many years. It has its roots in the old days of fur trapping. After trappers set out their traps to gather beaver and fox pelts, they passed the time by snaring prairie dogs to hone their skills.

The popularity of this sport has been growing rapidly in the past five years. Ranchers throughout the west have been hosting these events on private property and have not been advertising for fear of reprisal from animal rights groups. The secret can no longer be kept because too many people know. It is time for prairie dog fishermen to come out of the closet and be proud of their secret sport.

Prairie dogs live in colonies generally known as towns. If left unchecked these towns can extend for several thousand miles and include several million animals.

There are several species in the west. The black-tailed and the white-tailed are the most popular. The Mexican and the Utah species are labeled as a threatened species, which protects them from being hunted, shot, trapped and poisoned. Although these particular species are not legally protected from being fished, we will, in the interest of cooperating with the Endangered Species Act take a catch and release approach whenever a Mexican or Utah species is caught.

The catch and release method will be humane in its nature. Large shipping containers will be available at the tournament site. These overnight express boxes will be labeled with the home addresses of individuals involved with the various animal rights groups concerned with saving the prairie dogs. These groups include Rocky Mountain Animal Defense (RMAD) and the Prairie Dog Coalition. Curious both of these organizations share the same street address in Boulder, Colorado. There will be containers labeled for the local PETA folks too.

After they are shipped, tournament officials will be waiting outside of the recipient's home with video cameras to ensure that the friendly, flea infested, disease carrying rodents are properly cared for by those who have pledged to save and care for them.

Ginger
May 24, 2005, 03:26 PM
Where I lived as a kid (in Wyoming) it was a common practice for kids to shoot prarie dogs and we were actively encouraged to do it. The dogs destroy pasture land and their zillions of holes injure and kill a lot of stock.

It's true that shooting them just slows the colony down. I remember poison being used. Another way was to shovel dirt into most of the holes of a "start-up" colony and run multiple hoses from a truck tailpipe into the open holes (packed with a little dirt). Gassing them takes about 20 minutes.

Now there is a guy who vacuums dogs up and sells them as "exotic" pets.

Mgraff
May 24, 2005, 06:03 PM
Shooting Pdawgs is the most fun you can have as/ with a kid!!! I grew up doing it, still love it. I am headed out to the ranch, going camping and shooting this weekend! There are a group of us 6-10 families that go every year on Memorial day weekend, everyone's the kids seem to LOVE this weekend. A single shot bolt .22 and a brick of ammo will last most kids a whole 3-4 day weekend. I don't have kids but I always pack a few 1000 extra .22 rnds and a youth 20 gauge shotty and ammo for the skeet thrower Kids are the future so keep em shooting!! .22s work great out to @150 yards then bring out the .223, 22-250, 220 swift, 338 winmag :neener: .....etc.

LWS32
May 24, 2005, 07:45 PM
Try CCI Web page "Make em take cover" They have a shooting game and a Free t shirt offer. :)

Monkeyleg
May 24, 2005, 10:55 PM
There's a guy at my gun club who takes a full week of vacation every year to head to SD to shoot prairie dogs.

I'm not kidding. He loads 5,000+ rounds and that's his vacation out of state.

Better than a dead horse or cow, though.

Jay Kominek
May 25, 2005, 12:29 PM
Now there is a guy who vacuums dogs up and sells them as "exotic" pets. I remember seeing a program about a guy doing that, on the news, probably 10 years ago. Apparently they sold like hot cakes in Japan.
I've always sort of wanted to try building a vacuum strong enough to suck them out, just because it'd be hilarious to see prarie dogs flying up a giant hose.

RavenVT100
May 25, 2005, 12:48 PM
I seem to remember reading about how the Prarie Dog population nearly being destroyed many years ago (perhaps early in the 20th century) due to mass poisoning and other control measures, so they were given some kind of special protection. Then the population got out of control again.

I know that the original "towns" were absolutely massive, with many hundreds of thousands of dogs. What is the current trend of the U.S.'s P-Dog population?

280PLUS
May 25, 2005, 03:54 PM
Another thing to add to my list of things I GOTTA do! :rolleyes:

:D

Waitone
May 25, 2005, 04:26 PM
Natural enemies?????? other than THR'ers. :)

Daniel964
May 25, 2005, 04:47 PM
Revenge of the prairie dogs.

Antjo
May 25, 2005, 10:23 PM
No praire dogs around MI, but we have another scourge:

GROUNDHOGS

http://www.igougo.com/photos/journal_photos/Groundhogs.jpg

I hate them!

El Rojo
May 26, 2005, 12:24 AM
Here in the PRK we have ground squirrels. I am going to go squirrel shooting Saturday. Last time we went we shot 80 in a day. The ranchers don't mind at all and no matter how many you kill, they will never die out completely.

perception
May 26, 2005, 03:28 AM

My dad doesn't hunt anymore, but when he was a kid, if he or his brother didn't shoot it, his family didn't eat. He ate about everything at one time or another.

If you enjoyed reading about "Prairie Dawgs: Photoshop/Caption Fun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!