Shipping firearms

PDA

enichols
March 17, 2003, 11:31 AM
Hello all,
I'm considering sending my Savage rifle to the factory to have a heavy barrel installed, but of course that'll mean shipping the firearm halfway across the country. I was wondering how many of you shipped firearms, and what measures you took to make sure your gun(s) got there, and got there in one piece? I'm just a bit leery about shipping my gun.
Thanks,
Nic

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
762x51
March 17, 2003, 11:40 AM
Shipped my AK to a smith not too long ago for some work. I put it inside one of those cheap Bushmaster hard cases they ship their guns in and closed it up, put the hardcase in a cardboard box, taped the heck out of the box and shipped it out. Got there and back without a scratch. Sent UPS by the way.

For some extra protection, wrap some bubble wrap around the gun in the hard case.

usafpi
March 17, 2003, 03:51 PM
I recently had to send my Kimber back to the factory for repairs. Packed the hard case nice and tight in a box. Taped the hell out of it and sent it UPS. UPS did require overnight. Total shipping was about $24 total. They too give a tracking number and all the details on where your package is at.

Standing Wolf
March 17, 2003, 09:59 PM
I hate shipping guns!

I've done plenty of it, but finally live in an area with a competent local gunsmith.

J. Miller is right in all his advice, except I'd add that more—lots more!—padding is well worth whatever it costs. Two layers of bubble wrap over a hard plastic case are a good idea, and make sure it's a dry, sturdy box. I always use fiberglass tape to seal the box top, bottom, and all four sides, and make sure the address is also inside the box and inside the plastic gun case.

Paranoia pays.

Kahr carrier
March 17, 2003, 10:04 PM
I would use FEDEX they have an automated tracking system you can access from their website ,so you can watch the progress of the package , Pack it in a hardcase but also put your return address physically with the gun. I would put the Hardcase into a cardboard box and tape the heck out of it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!