What's the best gun to shoot up in the air tonight?

PDA

Topgun
December 31, 2002, 05:22 PM
a. For dense urban areas?

b. For rural areas?

c. Inside a dwelling?

d. From a moving car?

e. While still in holster?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

;)

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best gun to shoot up in the air tonight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
December 31, 2002, 05:27 PM
NONE! :fire:

Every year, some idiot does, and every other year around here somebody gets killed by the falling bullet.

Again I say: NONE!

pax
December 31, 2002, 05:32 PM
Airsoft.

:neener: Blackhawk's wrong! Blackhawk's wrong! :neener:

pax

Childish or childlike? You decide.

TheOtherOne
December 31, 2002, 05:32 PM
http://jabberwoq.com/images/emoticons/bwahaha.gif

spacemanspiff
December 31, 2002, 05:34 PM
now i wish i bought that rubber-band gun i had my eye on a few months back. :uhoh:
guess i'll have to settle for the airsoft mp5.

JeepDriver
December 31, 2002, 05:39 PM
Blanks, but don't be surprised when the Cops show up with hands on their guns.

Be Safe tonight

Traveler
December 31, 2002, 05:43 PM
Bofers. 40mm. Designed for just that application. Also has the benefit of being able to keep most regulatory agencies at a distance.

Honorable mention to the Flak 88 and the Vulcan.

Matthew Courtney
December 31, 2002, 05:44 PM
Water gun.

Bruz
December 31, 2002, 05:51 PM
Spud gun...then mini tater tots for all. :what:

Ninj500
December 31, 2002, 05:52 PM
How about an AT-4! That way you'll know for sure where it landed!

blades67
December 31, 2002, 05:53 PM
The one that's for fun!:neener: You can even do it if you're alone. (But only once or you'll go blind!):what: :evil:

Topgun
December 31, 2002, 05:53 PM
meant to add another choice.

f. When DRUNK?

If there isn't even one mention of a Barrett .50BMG, I ain't gettin one.

dairycreek
December 31, 2002, 05:55 PM
to the new year and go to bed at around ten. Getting old ain't for sissies. Good shooting:)

Topgun
December 31, 2002, 05:56 PM
Shoot it in the air every year but it takes til every OTHER year to come down.

Now THAT's trajectory!

blades67
December 31, 2002, 06:01 PM
A Barret 82A1.:neener:

Okiecruffler
December 31, 2002, 06:16 PM
I'm working the ED tonight, so I won't be shooting anything in the air. But I'm sure I'll meet a few who do.:banghead:

STW
December 31, 2002, 06:30 PM
Squirt

If you have one of those red rubber ones from years ago that shoots ping pong balls it'd be another safe alternative.

sm
December 31, 2002, 06:35 PM
NONE

[sniff sniff, I wish I had a rubber band gun to play inside with]

Yohan
December 31, 2002, 06:41 PM
When you're drunk, you should dry fire into the air and make do for the lack of "Bang" with your mouth. I strongly advise against doing this while sober because you WILL feel very stupid doing that sober. ;)

Diesle
December 31, 2002, 07:13 PM
Squirt gun.

Diesle

spacemanspiff
December 31, 2002, 07:20 PM
a few years back i went to visit some family and attend a funeral back around kodiak. the funeral was held on russian new years, and the entire village of 300+ all went outside at midnight and let loose with their shotguns. the whole island seemed to shake with a couple hundred 12 ga's shot for a good ten minutes straight.
oddly enough no one shot any rifles or handguns, just shotguns.
and they aim over the airstrip, so it is in a safe direction. the locals know not to be anywhere near the airstrip on that night! :D

Zander
December 31, 2002, 07:26 PM
Was at my favorite local shop to help out today...lots of cheap 7.62x39 and 9mm ammo sold, one box at a time. :mad:

Southla1
December 31, 2002, 07:29 PM
The best answer is none. What goes up must come down. There was a young lady killed in New Orleans a few years ago by a round that was fired in the air.

(BUT if ya just gotta do it use a shotgun with #9 shot.) Personal expirence from many a dove field has proven that if fired straight up it will be harmless on the way down IF you have eye protection.

2dogs
December 31, 2002, 07:37 PM
Probably not a good idea to do in a city, and here you will be arrested for it.

Sean Smith
December 31, 2002, 07:44 PM
Just to show how naive I can be, I thought celebratory gunfire only happened in the third world hell-holes the Army sent me to... until I saw a .45 slug a friend dug out of the roof of his house. :eek:

Atticus
December 31, 2002, 08:21 PM
"This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for fighting, the other's for fun."

The fun one.

KRAUTGUNNER
December 31, 2002, 08:45 PM
Le Page black powder muzzleloading pistol!

Loaded with 50gr of Swiss Blackpowder No.1 and 2 .45 felt wads as "bullets"!

Whole lotta BOOOM and no danger to innocent bystanders! :evil:

PATH
December 31, 2002, 08:50 PM
Cap gun, water gun, if those are not available then you should shoot none!;) :D

MR.G
December 31, 2002, 09:13 PM
None.

Mike Irwin
December 31, 2002, 09:18 PM
A finger gun.

Barring that, NONE.

MessedUpMike
December 31, 2002, 09:30 PM
dern-it,
Atticus beat me to my answer, but phrased it in an eloquint way I couldn't have hoped for.

Mike

AZTOY
December 31, 2002, 09:33 PM
None :fire:

4v50 Gary
December 31, 2002, 09:33 PM
Krautgunner beat me to it. Blackpowder. Just a wad andnot lead ball. Safe, noisy and a loud boom! Plenty of muzzle flash, plenty of smoke, lots of fun.

BTW, I want to go to a Russian funeral now that spacemanspiff told us about the 10 minute 300 gun salute. I'd like to be #301. I'm presuming this is all birdshot so it won't go far.

QuickDraw
December 31, 2002, 09:40 PM
The only thing that should be shot in the air tonight......
CHAMPAGNE CORKS!

QuickDraw

Schuey2002
December 31, 2002, 09:48 PM
NONE !! :fire: :banghead: :fire: :banghead: :fire: :banghead: :scrutiny: :banghead:

WilderBill
December 31, 2002, 10:06 PM
We had this very same discussion last year at this same time at TFL.
Of course none is the correct answer.
If ya just gotta shoot something and don't have any blanks, then shoot down. Pick a place without rocks or pipes.
Also, time it when everyone else is firing and you will greatly reduce your chance of being busted for it.

While I always get a little concerned when the firing starts, I still go outside to try to guess how many of what calibers my neighbors have.:)
As long as I don't get the idea that someone might be intentionally firing in my direction I will refrain from firing in the city. :ar15:
I like the new smileys!:neener: :cool:

g32
December 31, 2002, 11:34 PM
Having lived in New Orleans and having worked for NOPD, I know too well the damage that "falling bullets" can cause. Shooting guns into the air violates the 4 cardinal rules and puts the ability of law abiding, sensible gun owners to own firearms at risk. :fire:

Butch
January 1, 2003, 12:23 AM
http://users.skynet.be/gedi/emoticons4u/mad/1106.gif

Shoot off your mouth ! LEAVE THE GUNS PUT UP!

Gewehr98
January 1, 2003, 12:41 AM
20 rounds of LC-76 7.62mm NATO BLANK ammo were cycled through my M14NM. Neighbor kid had a blast, once he got his foam earplugs in. We were on the beachside, firing towards the Atlantic Ocean. Truthfully, it was kinda weak in the noisemaking department, what with all the serious fireworks arcing skyward up and down the beach and island.

AZ9J
January 1, 2003, 01:22 AM
NONE!!!!!

agony
January 1, 2003, 02:31 AM
I considered firing off a few rounds of M 200 blanks, 5.56MM through an AR with blank adapter, but the lady of the house gave me a VERY stern look.

I put it away and drank wine instead.

emann
January 1, 2003, 02:35 AM
Take your index finger and point ahead. Now take your thumb and stick it upward. That's your answer. :rolleyes:

Ala Dan
January 1, 2003, 02:39 AM
Quite simply, NONE!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

ojibweindian
January 1, 2003, 11:18 AM
Last night I sent three rounds of 12 guage 8 shot into roughly 400 acres of woods. Not one house anywhere in those woods. It's something the locals here do every New Years and 4th of July.

cobb
January 1, 2003, 12:54 PM
I would say anything with bird shot if pointed in a non populated area.

Topgun
January 1, 2003, 01:10 PM
that this was a JOKE post.

HOWEVER.....Be it hereby known......In CALIFORNIA.....shooting a BLANK (in most instances) is a.....CRIME.....!

It is "discharging a firearm" and if done in a place where it is not legal to discharge a firearm, it will be an arrest and a gun conviction.

So.....BLANKS.....are bad news in California. Probably elsewhere also. So CHECK em out before thinking you are safe to shoot blanks.

Blanks can be legally used to start races or at shooting ranges or wherever a firearm can be discharged.....EXCEPT....if it is a FIRE hazard.

Gewehr98
January 1, 2003, 01:45 PM
Although sometimes I think Florida's status as the last bastion of gun-friendliness is threatened by those that would protect us from ourselves. :(

My wife wants me to move back to ********** upon my retirement in 2006. Fat chance.:scrutiny:

Blackhawk
January 1, 2003, 01:56 PM
Topgun,I would hope most of you figured it out that this was a JOKE post. Pilots never joke about the aircraft configuration while in flight. I like that.

Gun nuts I'm comfortable with never joke about shooting either, and I like that. Sure as something idiotic gets suggested, some idiot will do it.

One of the things I really liked about TFL that's carried over to THR is that members generally don't joke about shooting. That, too, I like. In fact, I really like it! :D

45R
January 1, 2003, 02:45 PM
The Answer is SIMPLE:

NONE!!!!:banghead:

Discharging a firearm in the air could lead to a deadly outcome. Innocent bistanders can get hurt, the is a good chance of property damage. What goes up always has to come down.
If your going to discharge a firearm do it in a sanctioned area.

pax
January 1, 2003, 03:23 PM
Blackhawk,

I think my sig pretty well explains why I jumped in with a giggle.

It was a joke, but the joke had a serious purpose: to remind folks that shooting a real firearm into the air, on New Year's or at any other time, is a stupid thing to do.

pax

Nothing is more foolish than to talk of frivolous things seriously; but nothing is wittier than to make frivolities serve serious ends. -- Erasmus

Gewehr98
January 1, 2003, 03:28 PM
No projectiles, no harm done.

Blackhawk
January 1, 2003, 03:35 PM
It was a joke, but the joke had a serious purpose: to remind folks that shooting a real firearm into the air, on New Year's or at any other time, is a stupid thing to do. Understood, but I'm not going to voluneer to stand under falling BBs from a "springarm" or "gasarm" as opposed to something from a firearm either. Besides the "big thrill" is the big noise, and Airsofts just don't cut it there.... :D

MountainPeak
January 1, 2003, 03:39 PM
I have a small wood pile with a steep back drop right off my deck. My only neighbor is 2 miles away in the opposite direction. I test fire gun show purchases frequently into it. I would not fire into the air, but could safely fire into the above. I didn't last night, but my neighbor sounded like he had a war going on. The previously mentioned wood pile isn't one I use for heat! So depending on where you live NONE isn't the answer!:)

sixgun_symphony
January 1, 2003, 05:54 PM
Take a flintlock or caplock muzzle-loading pistol, load with 30gr FFG and a wad of paper.

Blackhawk
January 1, 2003, 06:07 PM
MountainPeak,So depending on where you live NONE isn't the answer! But the question was "What's the best gun to shoot up in the air tonight?" :D

JPM70535
January 1, 2003, 06:39 PM
NONE, EVER

WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN!!!!!!!

Greybeard
January 1, 2003, 07:00 PM
Quote:

Real firearm, real blanks.
No projectiles, no harm done.

I would NOT care to be the individual trying to explain that one to a LEO. In our little town, I've no doubt it would have to be done after being gifted with a shiny set of matching bracelets. (And still spending at least one night in the little room with the matching stainless steel pottie.)

:fire: Unfortunately, :cuss: I saw a similar post last night on another gun forum :banghead:

I would ask that those who find humor in such posts, pardon me if I do not believe they do a thing for promoting responsible firearms ownership. To me, even with blanks, they perpetuate a perception of BARBARIANS, especially when alcohol and/or other people are in the vicinity. :mad:

BTW, Happy New Year. ;)

Gewehr98
January 1, 2003, 07:21 PM
Because, in my Florida neck of the woods, they certainly sent more of a projectile, and made more noise, than I did with blanks. Or one of those vintage Winchester blank salute cannons, or cast-iron carbide salute cannons.

Matter of fact, they just oughta ban fireworks and salutes entirely. Damned honor guard funeral firing parties, what do they think they're doing with those M1 Garands and blanks? And those VFW details, by Gawd somebody oughta handcuff them!

Firecrackers? Why, they're instruments of the devil, I tell you!

Detachment Charlie
January 1, 2003, 07:27 PM
Several years ago, I was seated at a picnic table in my mother-inlaw's back yard. It was just after a particularly noisy July 4th. I looked down at the table top and embedded into it was a .45 slug. I thought, "Hey, that coulda hit my beer!"
Sheesh.

trapshooter
January 1, 2003, 07:35 PM
Those Honor Guards are a real danger to society.:what:

We should ban them. It's dangerous, and a violation of safe gun handling rules.:scrutiny:

Also, how about those Civil and Revolutionary war re-enactors. They actually aim at each other, and shoot those nasty cannon all over the place. Scary!:what:

And I'm positively just beside myself with worry over what may happen to all the poor actors in the movies, waving those guns around and shooting at each other. The horror!

And how about those poor military people with that...what's it called? MILES gear. Shooting guns is bad enough, but they use those EEEEEVVVVIL laser thingies, too! AAAAAARRRRGGGHH. I can't stand it that they so brazenly violate safe gun handling procedure. They should all be locked up. It's for the CHIIILDREN!

Then there's those POlicemen. Running around pointing guns at people, drawing them out in the open air, in front of us. How DARE they! Ban them, TOOO! What, it's practice you say? I don't care, it violates my personal rules of saftey. Those civil servants just can't be TRUSTED with play bullets, you see! What if they make a mistake?0

I think we need to lighten up a bit. If nothing goes up, nothing comes down, you see.

MountainPeak
January 1, 2003, 10:04 PM
Thanks for looking out for a 31 year shooter(not my age). I'm sure you have saved me from myself BlackHawk.:rolleyes:

Blackhawk
January 1, 2003, 10:23 PM
No problem, MountainPeak. You novices may hurt yourselves if you can't read and understand the instructions on the ordnance boxes if it wasn't for more experienced fellas jerking your chains now and then.... :p

Tamara
January 1, 2003, 10:26 PM
Daewoo DR200. ;)

Blanks, because it was raining and I didn't feel like slogging out back to the range.

Must suck to live someplace where you can't bust a cap without getting busted. My meager 20 rounds of .223 blanks were completely drowned out by the horizon-lighting displays going on all around us.

trapshooter
January 2, 2003, 07:03 PM
Ahhhh, Tamara.

There is a lucky man out there.

And we know who he is.;)

seeker_two
January 2, 2003, 09:34 PM
Any gun will do...as long as your head is b/t the barrel & the sky...

This was a really STUPID question...:banghead:

Average Guy
January 2, 2003, 10:48 PM
The answer is none.

But why not just shoot into your lawn? It still goes bang...

Yes, I did it once. At age 18, testing my .22 rifle's homemade "silencer" in our suburban backyard.

No, it didn't work. :uhoh:

MicroBalrog
January 2, 2003, 11:23 PM
Actually, in my country, firecracker are illegal. :banghead:

Kahr carrier
January 3, 2003, 05:56 AM
None-:what:

Sleeping Dog
January 3, 2003, 07:59 AM
S.E. Mich, My neighborhood pretty much erupted this new year's eve. Close by I heard what sounded like a large-cap 9mm, 15 shots, pause, 15 shots. I thought I recognized .223 sounds and some larger stuff, maybe 30-06. A few six-shooters.

I thought about the big-booming Mosin, then thought again and just poured a few glasses of Champagne.

I'll just keep the guns in the safe on "amateur night". :)

Regards.

Bainx
January 3, 2003, 01:03 PM
I shot an arrow into the air,
and it landed I know not where.

bogie
January 3, 2003, 01:35 PM
You should own a good shredder - the kind that crosscuts.

Go get some of the paper. Now, go down to your shotshell reloader (if you don't have one, buy one), and load up a light load with as much confetti as you can compress into the wad. Load it in your 12 gauge (if you don't have one, buy one), and blaze away. It probably won't cycle the action. Not sure, but you might be able, with a light load of confetti, to just use the primer.

ball3006
January 3, 2003, 03:32 PM
was blasting away right in view of the closed circuit tv camera at the street intersection. Caught in tape. No one at the house where it happened would admit they heard anything and the picture was not clear enough to identify the shooter. He was black and it was dark out but you could really see the muzzleblast. To answer your question, if you must do it, a shotgun with #9 shot. Been rained on by shot dove hunting many times.....chris3

Robert J McElwain
January 3, 2003, 04:01 PM
cap gun

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best gun to shoot up in the air tonight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!