Gun control activist to auction off finger-cutting device

PDA

Harry Tuttle
May 23, 2005, 12:36 PM
BRIDGEPORT AP) - Joel Gonzalez is bringing cutting edge equipment to the Internet. Literally.

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=3376337&nav=1VGma9Q6

Gonzalez, who cut off the tip of his finger outside the state Capitol in 1994 to protest efforts by the gun lobby to scuttle tougher firearms laws, is selling the homemade guillotine and hammer used in the severance on eBay. The bidding begins at $50,000.

"When I did it, people said I was crazy," said Gonzalez, a former Bridgeport city councilman. "I wonder what they are saying now."

Gonzalez told the Connecticut Post that he wants to sell the items to raise money needed to continue his activism in causes including bringing prayer back into schools, finding more money for education, abolishing the death penalty and, of course, strengthening gun control laws.

If he gets a $50,000 bid or more, he promised to give half to the Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport.

No one has bid on the two items, but 391 people have looked at the eBay listing. The guillotine is 8 inches tall. The 2-pound hammer was used to drive the guillotine blade into left index finger. Both items include state police evidence tags.

State Capitol police threatened to arrest Gonzalez but never did. But they did arrest his friend, who was filming in the incident, and seized the videotape. Gonzalez was taken with his finger tip to Hartford Hospital, where he elected not to have it reattached.

Hospital staff sewed up the injured finger with 13 stitches and never returned the severed part. Gonzalez believes there should be a harsh penalty for people who commit crimes with guns.

"States must consider amputating the trigger fingers of anyone who uses a firearm to commit a premeditated crime," he said.

thar she blows:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=475&item=6532622947&rd=1

The guillotine used by activist in gun policy protest.
The guillotine and hammer, used to cut my own finger
Starting bid:
US $10,000.00??

On March 8, 1994 The State of Connecticut was conducting a public hearing on proposed gun control legislation. Connecticut Pro gun groups and members of the National Rifles Association took control of the speakers list by filling these lists, preventing others from expresing their views and opinions.

I as an activist have a different proposal for legislation that is sure to cut gun crime better than any other being considered, without affecting the Constitutinal right to bear arms. I was determined to be heard regarless of how the hearing process was manipulated.

I believe that the best method to send a clear and strong message to a violent society who think that using a firearm is the only way to solve differences. At times Laws must contain strong measures to keep society safe.

I believe that a strong,effective and necessary panishment for anyone commiting crimes with guns is long overdued. States must consider amputating the trigger fingers (index) of anyone who use a firearm to commit a premeditaded crime.

I believed this so much that at the March 8, 1994 public hearing, I cut off the left hand index finger on the steps of the Connecticut State Capitol with the items shown in picture.

The Media attention was incredible since my assitant was arrested in the capitol building in possession of the finger, the camera and video tape, a 2 pound hammer, a guillotine 8 inche by 8 inches with a 14 inch blade and an extra blade.

I was never charged with a crime. However, the Connecticut Capitol Police confiscation of the video and guillotine and took away my opportunity to make an estimated $500,000 due to the world wide attention it raised. I won the court case and got back my property and continue to work for crime punishment reform.

All the componets used for the amputation are still in it's original form including the evidence tags used by the Connecticut Capitol police to mark evidence. The 2 pound hammer has some minor surface rust and the mark left by the blow of the hammer and has never been seen or cleaned by anyone for about 11 years.

On May 13, 2005. The State of Connecticut executed convicted serial killer Michael Ross with a lethal injection. This is the same State of Connecticut wich maintained that what I did on March 8,1994 was crazy and the idea of cutting off fingers was cruel and unusual. At 2:25 a.m. Michael Ross lost all 10 fingers.

The starting bid is $50,000 and half of the proceeds will be donated to the Connecticut Beardley zoo to protect wild life.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun control activist to auction off finger-cutting device" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dasmi
May 23, 2005, 12:38 PM
"When I did it, people said I was crazy," said Gonzalez, a former Bridgeport city councilman. "I wonder what they are saying now."
You're still crazy. That's what they are saying.

wasrjoe
May 23, 2005, 12:38 PM
Edit: Someone else got the obvious comment before I did. :p

Standing Wolf
May 23, 2005, 12:43 PM

'Tisn't him I'm concerned about, but the people who elected him.

TASE
May 23, 2005, 12:48 PM
What an IDIOT!!!!

Dionysusigma
I wonder if self-immolation is next on the list... :rolleyes:

The Viking
What a moron. He should have cut of his head instead of a finger.

Alex45ACP
May 23, 2005, 12:50 PM
More proof that gun control activists are much more sophisticated and peaceful than us barbaric gun enthusiasts.

TASE
May 23, 2005, 12:51 PM
I wonder if self-immolation is next on the list...

We can only hope...........

Telperion
May 23, 2005, 12:54 PM
Can somebody submit this to Fark.com? ;)

Justin
May 23, 2005, 12:55 PM
If this yutz was actually capable of rational thought, perhaps one might point out that his proposal flies right in the face of the 8th Amendment.

But, well, he's obviously a few paint daubs short of a Monet.

R.H. Lee
May 23, 2005, 12:58 PM
Whatever. As a former legislator, he should know that we don't amputate body parts of perpetrators in this country. What's next, amputation of convicted child molestor's sexual organs?

.........on second thought, maybe he's onto something. :evil:

Preacherman
May 23, 2005, 01:15 PM
You just can't make this stuff up!!! :D

From WSFB (http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=3376337&nav=1VGma9Q6):

Gun control activist to auction off finger-cutting device

BRIDGEPORT - Joel Gonzalez is bringing cutting edge equipment to the Internet. Literally.

Gonzalez, who cut off the tip of his finger outside the state Capitol in 1994 to protest efforts by the gun lobby to scuttle tougher firearms laws, is selling the homemade guillotine and hammer used in the severance on eBay. The bidding begins at $50,000.

Gonzalez told the Connecticut Post that he wants to sell the items to raise money needed to continue his activism in causes including bringing prayer back into schools, finding more money for education, abolishing the death penalty and, of course, strengthening gun control laws.

If he gets a $50,000 bid or more, he promised to give half to the Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport.

No one has bid on the two items, but 391 people have looked at the eBay listing. The guillotine is 8 inches tall. The 2-pound hammer was used to drive the guillotine blade into left index finger. Both items include state police evidence tags.

State Capitol police threatened to arrest Gonzalez but never did. But they did arrest his friend, who was filming in the incident, and seized the videotape. Gonzalez was taken with his finger tip to Hartford Hospital, where he elected not to have it reattached.

Hospital staff sewed up the injured finger with 13 stitches and never returned the severed part. Gonzalez believes there should be a harsh penalty for people who commit crimes with guns.

"States must consider amputating the trigger fingers of anyone who uses a firearm to commit a premeditated crime," he said.

Oh, how I would love to answer that... :evil:

middy
May 23, 2005, 01:16 PM
I'm all for tougher penalities on gun crime, but this is ridiculous. Maybe he should move to a country that follows Islamic law, they seem to agree with his medieval style of punishment. :rolleyes:

torpid
May 23, 2005, 01:21 PM
On May 13, 2005. The State of Connecticut executed convicted serial killer Michael Ross with a lethal injection. This is the same State of Connecticut wich maintained that what I did on March 8,1994 was crazy and the idea of cutting off fingers was cruel and unusual. At 2:25 a.m. Michael Ross lost all 10 fingers.

Nope.

Though I guess you could say that at 2:25 a.m.Michael Ross's fingers (and body) lost him.

Preacherman
May 23, 2005, 01:25 PM
Duplicate threads merged.

HankB
May 23, 2005, 01:40 PM
Gonzalez . . . cut off the tip of his finger . . . Hospital staff . . . never returned the severed part Hmmm . . . too bad they kept the missing digit. Hey, here's a thought: if he wants to raise money, maybe he could sever another finger tip and give it to a friend, who'd in turn purchase some chile at a fast food restaurant, and . . . :uhoh:

rick_reno
May 23, 2005, 01:41 PM
You're still crazy. That's what they are saying.

Almost right - what they're saying is "You're still crazy, but if you can find someone as screwy as you are it could net you $50k"

CentralTexas
May 23, 2005, 01:44 PM
another body part to pull the trigger. He really shouldn't be breeding anyway....
CT

thorn726
May 23, 2005, 06:21 PM
got to love people who want to erode the constitution.

yeah, cut off trigger fingers.

somebody should cut out his tongue

Sam
May 23, 2005, 06:25 PM
I would suggest that some other body parts be cut off, to prevent hin from passing on what is obvuiously defective genetic material.

Sam

FRIENDLY
May 23, 2005, 06:57 PM
Somehow I dont think his finger was what should have been removed. I can think of another organ to chop.There is a job for Lorena Bobbit(Ithink her name was)

gc70
May 23, 2005, 07:44 PM
One part that can't be removed is his brain, since he is obviously lacking that already.

Mongo the Mutterer
May 23, 2005, 07:47 PM
Wonder what he would have lopped off if he was protesting prostitiution?? :what:

RoyG
May 23, 2005, 08:28 PM
Maybe we should start a email protest to have this removed under eBays "Offensive Material" Prohibited and Restricted Items List.

Sir Aardvark
May 23, 2005, 11:02 PM
For his next trick, maybe he can chop off his own head....?

RevDisk
May 23, 2005, 11:28 PM
Can we start an auction to buy more of these things for gun control nuts?

got to love people who want to erode the constitution.

Yea, the guy is a wacko. But I don't think it's acceptable to promote literally silencing our opposition by mutilation, Thorn. Free speech is part of the Bill of Rights, remember? :scrutiny:

Now, promoting self-mutilation amoung our opposition is another matter entirely. :neener:

jfh
May 23, 2005, 11:28 PM
When you get a chance to answer that, please COPY your answer from me as well.

I know people are interested in the macabre--but this guy has a highly-tuned sense of self-importance if he thinks the bidding will start at 10K for the device used in a bizarre publicity stunt.

Fletchette
May 24, 2005, 12:04 AM
...gives new meaning to "you can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!"

:neener:

Illuminaughty
May 24, 2005, 12:09 AM
Anyone religious here has no right to call that man a moron. I think he's a ????ing idiot, but then again, my moral ideal didn't commit suicide (Jesus). Self-immolation is only for those who preach communism on a moral level. Never sacrifice your best. Sacrifice what you have to, and get the best you can out of the situation. That is moral capitalism.

The_Antibubba
May 24, 2005, 12:11 AM
And for his next stunt, to protest machine guns he will cut off ALL his fingers and toes.

I know he doesn't intend it, but this guy is our ally; he shows how far the loony left will go.

hillbilly
May 24, 2005, 12:35 AM
I say that a bunch of gunnies pool money and buy this idiot's mini-guillotine.

And then auction off the rights to shoot the bundle of dynamite taped to the mini-guillotine.

And use something like either a full-atuo HKMP-5, or a .50 BMG, too.

hillbilly

P95Carry
May 24, 2005, 12:41 AM
Gonzalez believes there should be a harsh penalty for people who commit crimes with guns. Really? There's something new then!! Perhaps we should consider this and further the agenda. Oh hang on - we already have boatloads of laws geared to just this!

We also have many states with CCW - within which criminals may very well find a ''harsh penalty'' !!!

Yep - crazy is - as crazy does!! :p

dustind
May 24, 2005, 11:11 AM
That guy is hilarious, crazy, and has delusions of grandeur. I laughed for over a minute at his "I wonder what they are saying now" line. We should e-mail him so he can see what we are saying now. :D :evil:

SnWnMe
May 24, 2005, 11:58 AM
I wanna buy his guitar

Master Blaster
May 24, 2005, 12:01 PM
If he cuts off his tongue with it I'll give him $1.02.

GreenFurniture
May 24, 2005, 12:26 PM
The dumbest thing is that he is right handed and "still has his trigger finger" according to the Q&A section on the ebay auction. :scrutiny:

Third_Rail
May 24, 2005, 12:46 PM
Wow. That man truly belongs in a mental institution.

CrazyIrishman
May 24, 2005, 12:47 PM
Is he on the list for a DARWIN AWARD yet??

Personally, I think he's a few fries short of a HAPPY MEAL!

(Pssst.....I wonder....did he eve-R get too close to a bowl of W***y's chili?)

Dionysusigma
May 24, 2005, 01:45 PM
RevDisk:got to love people who want to erode the constitution.

Yea, the guy is a wacko. But I don't think it's acceptable to promote literally silencing our opposition by mutilation, Thorn. Free speech is part of the Bill of Rights, remember? :scrutiny:
It's okay if they mutilate themselves, though, right? "Being of sound mind and 'body'" and all that. Heck it seems you can do anything these days in the name of "Protest" or "Performance Art." :scrutiny: :eek: :uhoh: :rolleyes:

Harry Tuttle
May 24, 2005, 02:25 PM
Did he amputate the first digit or the whole deal?
The ebay picture looks like he wacked the entire finger.
The article says he wacked the tip...

This guy is a shining example of the insanity inside the gun control ranks

A well written article about the 2 faced gun control "leadership" and their personal mental issues might prove useful to the RKBA debate.

Maryland's Gail Gunn lost her brother in an ice cream shop robbery.

If she really wanted to save children, she would be well advised to set up a drown proofing .org.
Instead, she wants someone to blame for her personal loss.

The previous MAHA leader lost her son, when he and friends broke into a deputy's rented room and played with a firearm.
Carl Rowan, Washington Post's anti gun writer shot at kid swimming in his pool.
Tom Mauser could easily be painted into the mental corner.
The Brady's are a tad touched from their experience too.

Missourigunner
May 24, 2005, 02:59 PM
I read his listing on e-Bay, I also read the questions to this seller and his (Gonzalez)answers For starters, this guy is a total flake, an idiot. He needs counseling bad. I feel sorry for the folks that elected him. To quote Bugs Bunny "What a Maroon" :barf: :barf: :cuss: :banghead: :eek:

2nd Amendment
May 24, 2005, 07:11 PM
Read the email responses on the auction. In fact, if you have an ebay acct you can have a whole lot of fun with the little deviant. :) Hmm, I think I'll send him this thread! :D

El Tejon
May 24, 2005, 07:25 PM
It's the right thing to do. Hands cause crime.

Harry Tuttle
May 25, 2005, 10:00 AM
wait a second, this guy is pro gun?

Headline: <%2>Man severs own finger to protest gun control<%0>
Publish Date: 03/10/1994

Hartford, Conn. (AP) -- A man opposed to gun-control legislation used
a homemade guillotine and a hammer to cut off his trigger finger in
front of the state Capitol.

Joel Gonzalez, an unemployed laborer recently elected to the
Bridgeport Democratic Town Committee, carried out the protest as the
Legislature's Public Safety Committee held a hearing on gun control.

In a written statement, Gonzalez suggested deterring crime through
harsher penalties for criminals rather than gun control.

Police said Gonzalez, 29, left the hearing Tuesday afternoon, went
outside and sliced off his entire finger.

``He was extremely calm. That's what bothered me,'' said Capitol
Police Sgt. Tony Murphy.

Police said Gonzalez gave the finger to a friend, Carlos Ramos, who
carried it into the hearing room in a plastic bag tucked in his
breast pocket. Officers approached Ramos and confiscated the bag
before any further public displays.

Gonzalez refused to have the finger reattached, according to a
spokesman at Hartford Hospital.

http://www.mndaily.com/daily/gopher-archives/1994/03/10/%252MAN~@N.TXT

The Grand Inquisitor
May 25, 2005, 01:50 PM
Prayer In Schools!

280PLUS
May 25, 2005, 02:50 PM
:eek:

I wonder what EBAY's fees are for a $50,000 auction...

I read through his answers to questions. Definitely a few cards short of a full deck.

From CT too... :banghead:

I asked him, "How did THAT feel?" amongst several other questions. :evil:

280PLUS
May 25, 2005, 03:13 PM
My Questions:

"Two part, no, three part question: A. How did THAT feel? B. Do you find it more difficult to pick your left nostril now? C. If you were trying to make such a statement, why didn't you cut your ACTUAL trigger finger off? Oh, what the heck,,, D. Would you please move out of Connecticut? You embarrass the rest of us."

His reply:

YOU ARE IN CONNECTI CUT, I TRUELY BELONG HERE.

Cute play on words, don't you think? :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun control activist to auction off finger-cutting device" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!