Senior US Officials Cozy up to Dictator Who Boils People Alive

PDA

javafiend
May 23, 2005, 05:17 PM
http://www.thememoryhole.org/pol/us-and-uz.htm

America’s Hypocritical, Counterproductive Foreign Aid (http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0205e.asp) by James Bovard
"The United States gives more than $10 billion in foreign aid each year to foreign governments and foreign and international organizations. Tyrannical regimes are the worst terrorist organizations in the world, with respect to racking up impressive body counts. Foreign aid has been aptly described as handouts 'from governments, to governments, for governments.' "

The U.S. government gave more than $120 million during 2003 to the government of Uzbekistan.

Something to think about next time some politician prattles on about our "culture of life." :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "Senior US Officials Cozy up to Dictator Who Boils People Alive" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sindawe
May 23, 2005, 05:20 PM
Yep, this has been SOP for our .gov for decades.

Joejojoba111
May 23, 2005, 05:54 PM
Heh, I think the country would be better as a whole if we went back to the style of the ancient Greeks. Forget morality on an international level, and make it clear to one and all. Bismark was onto this, and he had a good amount of success. I think even average people like it, because they can know what is the real deal.

But practicing realpolitik (because you really have to) and then inventing a cover story for how it's a good deed, then being called liars and imperialists, then calling those calling names other names... It's just so tiresome, and I really lose respect for everyone engaged in it.

WT
May 23, 2005, 06:55 PM
If its in our strategic interests to make deals with the devil, so be it.

Let the UN save the world.

Standing Wolf
May 23, 2005, 08:19 PM

Not with my hard-earned tax dollars!

If a government wasn't freely voted in, it should get its foreign aid elsewhere.

Sindawe
May 23, 2005, 08:24 PM
If a government wasn't freely voted in, it should get its foreign aid elsewhere. As long as our .gov is running on deficit spending and has a HUGE national debt, there should be NO foreign aid at all.

dpesec
May 23, 2005, 10:04 PM
So true, but then you could look at Saddam, Lennin, Stalin, and just about any other 2 bit dictator. They have "free elections".

There just isn't any good answers, it's ashame. :banghead:

Flyboy
May 23, 2005, 10:27 PM
Would cross-linking to my own thread (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=140010) be considered crass?

Orthonym
May 24, 2005, 01:00 AM
"We are the friends of Liberty everywhere, but the guardians only of our own."

RevDisk
May 24, 2005, 01:17 AM

Investing in an insane dictator is a sucker's bet. It usually turns around and bites us in the rear.

Fulgencio Batista -> Castro
Shah -> Ayatollah Khomeini
Noriega -> Drugs
Taliban -> Osama bin Laden

Sorry, I don't want to breed tomorrow's enemies with today's taxes. What happened to fighting tyranny and invading countries because their dictator is an insane murdering lunatic?

davec
May 24, 2005, 06:08 AM
America's vital interests and our deepest beliefs are now one. From the day of our Founding, we have proclaimed that every man and woman on this earth has rights, and dignity, and matchless value, because they bear the image of the Maker of Heaven and earth. Across the generations we have proclaimed the imperative of self-government, because no one is fit to be a master, and no one deserves to be a slave. Advancing these ideals is the mission that created our Nation. It is the honorable achievement of our fathers. Now it is the urgent requirement of our nation's security, and the calling of our time.

So it is the policy of the United States to seek and support the growth of democratic movements and institutions in every nation and culture, with the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in our world.

The Present then added, "Except in Uzbekistan."

rick_reno
May 24, 2005, 11:48 AM
I've boiled lobsters and clams alive. Maybe cooking people this way is a cultural thing in that part of the world.

Art Eatman
May 24, 2005, 03:10 PM
We started "buying friendship" during the Cold War. Any thugocrat who declared himself "anti-communist" was a "friend" to whom we sent money and CIA agents.

IMO, most of this money wound up in Swiss banks or Cayman Island banks.

(RevDisk omitted Trujillo in the Dominican Republic, but I myself have lost track of the names in Africa...)

The Cold War ended, but you know how it is with old habits...(Oops! There I go again, being cynical.)

The flip side of the coin is that without our money, the Arabs would have succeeded in their intended genocide in Israel, and Egypt would probably be an equivalent of Iran...

At least it was only $120 million. Compared to some, that's chump change...

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Senior US Officials Cozy up to Dictator Who Boils People Alive" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!