South African women being murdered at alarming rate, with and without guns

PDA

peacefuljeffrey
May 24, 2005, 05:43 PM
I just saw this on CNN.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/05/24/wife.killings.reut/index.html (http://)

"A woman is killed by her intimate partner in South Africa every six hours. This is the highest rate (8.8 per 100,000 female population 14 years and older) that has ever been reported in research anywhere in the world," the study says.

Guns and alcohol were significant factors in many cases.

"The study findings confirm the role of alcohol in intimate partner violence," it says.

The report also highlights serious shortcomings in the police force with many of the cases not opened or poorly investigated with possible leads inadequately followed.

Its recommendations include special police training for female murders, the establishment of a public crime data base and the rigorous enforcement of gun control measures.

Maybe I'm confused -- I thought S.Africa had strict gun control...

Gunfire biggest non-natural killer
Another recent study found that South Africans are more likely to be shot than suffer any other kind of unnatural death as gun crime pushes the country's violent death rate to up to eight times the global average.

Glaring income disparities, high unemployment, easy access to illegal firearms and alcohol abuse have all been linked by analysts to South Africa's rates of violent crime which are among the highest in the world."

Wait, over here, they claim it's the easy access to LEGAL firearms that drives the murder rate in the U.S. Now, in S.Africa, where gun control is (I believe) strict, it's "easy access to ILLEGAL firearms."

Well, just what the $%*& do you do, in a country, when something is ALREADY *&@!ing illegal and it's still being gotten a hold of and used in killings?!

Buncha goddamned morons over there. They're saying they need more rigorous enforcement than a BAN?! :banghead: :barf: :fire:

Blue skies,
-Jeffrey

If you enjoyed reading about "South African women being murdered at alarming rate, with and without guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
May 24, 2005, 07:19 PM
Guns and alcohol were significant factors in many cases.

How very shocking!

pittspilot
May 26, 2005, 12:31 AM
Actually all South Africans are murdered at an alarming rate. Any time you get the guberment to release figures, it curls your tail.

If you enjoyed reading about "South African women being murdered at alarming rate, with and without guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!