Springfield longslide - a little disappointing

PDA

Brad Johnson
March 17, 2003, 04:59 PM
I bought a Springfield Loaded longslide last week from a guy who needed to eat worse than he needed the gun. It was in near-NIB condition with less than 50 rounds through it. I had a gunsmith take the trigger down to a crisp 3 lbs, but otherwise the gun is box-stock. I was thrilled!

One trip to the range later....

I am satisfied, but not overjoyed. I expected better accuracy from the 6" barrel and target sights. Using sandbags and my best breathing technique I was able to get groups down to the 4" range at 15 yards. Fair, but no better than what I can do with my XD-9 at the same distance (4" barrel and 5.5lb trigger). Just to make sure it wasn't me having an off day, I took out my trusty 6" Ruger GP100. The first six-round group measured just over 1.5 inches.

I tried different ammo and found that the Springfield is rather choosy. With cheapo S&B jacketed the 15 yard groups were consistently in the 5.5"-6" range, and the slide short-stroked a couple of times. With PMC Starfire, the groups stayed around 5", and there were no cyclic failures. The best groups (a consistent 4") were with Federal 185gr Hydra Shoks with no cyclic failures.

Like I said, I was expecting better. Since I regularly print 4" 15-yard groups with my 4" barreled XD-9 and 1.0-1.5" with my insanely accurate GP100, I was hoping for groups in the 2"-3" range with the Long Slide. Is my expectation realistic, or am I just being picky?

Brad

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield longslide - a little disappointing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
March 17, 2003, 05:05 PM
Try some diff't ammo. A buddy of mine went through a few until he found the one that his V-16 likes. I like his 6" Springfield ;)

firestar
March 17, 2003, 05:32 PM
Pic

firestar
March 17, 2003, 05:38 PM
I had the same problem with my Longslide. I thought it was very sub par in terms accuracy. I tried 4 different kinds of ammo and none of it shot well. I was getting about 3" at 10-12 yards, my snubbie did better than that!

I was expecting a tack driver and it just didn't happen. I don't have the patience to try 10 different types of ammo to see what it likes, if it won't shoot with several types of ammo I have, it is not worth my time.

I traded my SIG 220 for this gun and thought I was getting the deal of the year. I was wrong. Live and learn. My SIG would shoot 2" groups at 25 yards with just about any ammo.

Brad Johnson
March 17, 2003, 06:48 PM
I wonder if lapping the barrel using some of the fancy new fire-lapping ammo would help?

Anyone tried this stuff? If so, does it perform as advertised or is it snake oil?

Brad

Frohickey
March 17, 2003, 07:32 PM
How about changing the barrel bushing first?

bountyhunter
March 17, 2003, 07:54 PM
I bought a Springfield Loaded longslide last week from a guy who needed to eat worse than he needed the gun.
I am satisfied, but not overjoyed. I expected better accuracy from the 6" barrel and target sights. Using sandbags and my best breathing technique I was able to get groups down to the 4" range at 15 yards. Fair, but no better than what I can do with my XD-9 at the same distance (4" barrel and 5.5lb trigger). Just to make sure it wasn't me having an off day, I took out my trusty 6" Ruger GP100. The first six-round group measured just over 1.5 inches.
Like I said, I was expecting better. Since I regularly print 4" 15-yard groups with my 4" barreled XD-9 and 1.0-1.5" with my insanely accurate GP100, I was hoping for groups in the 2"-3" range with the Long Slide. Is my expectation realistic, or am I just being picky?

Brad

I would say that accuracy is genuinely awful. I have an STI Trojan with 5" barrel that holds groups of about 1.5" at 25 YARDS with S+B ammo. I also have a Trojan with 6" barrel that shoots better than that. At 15 yards, I have shot five groups from it that you could cover with a beer bottle cap.

I would have somebody else shoot it just to be sure. It's possible the trigger has a hitch in it that is causing the gun to shift when you release the trigger. Other than that, I would say it sounds like there is something wrong. Either a problem with the barrel or how it locks into the slide in battery.

yankytrash
March 17, 2003, 08:22 PM
I'm gonna say it's a bad lockup.

My friggin' pair of cheapo Norinco's do 4" from rest at 30yd with Blazers and white box, and they have worn bushings. A coupla' Navyjoe's 40 year old Colts do better than that. Another friend's cob-job piece o' crudola slapped-together Systema (sp?) does at least 5" at 25yd.

AR-10
March 17, 2003, 10:37 PM
Frohickey,

No bushing to change out. Bull Barrel.

JohnKSa
March 17, 2003, 11:44 PM
Hmmm...

Hearing a lot of disappointing things about Springfield products these days.

Especially disappointing because they are supposed to be turning out top-of-the-line merchandise...

196pc
March 18, 2003, 01:18 AM
I fired 150 rds through a Longslide (PX9129L) and at 15yds it was 1". Dunno whats wrong with yours, but you may want to send it to SA for a fix. I was impressed enough where I'm gonna buy one.

Ramshackle
March 18, 2003, 01:34 AM
First, the long slide has a bull barrel so a tighter bushing is a moot point. My Springfield long slide had poor accuracy until I welded up the barrel feet (cost about $75). Now the lockup is tight and the accuracy is fine. Springfield barrels are okay--not great but capable of decent accuracy. The problem is that it's a mass produced gun and often doesn't have a good barrel lockup.

1badmagnum
March 18, 2003, 06:09 AM
a new firearm takes at least 500 rounds for break in,I'm sure your groups will improve,shoot the darn thing lol.:D

Brad Johnson
March 18, 2003, 01:59 PM
Last night I tore everything down for a good cleaning and further inspection. I found that the barrel lockup is simply awful. With nothing more rugged than the tip of my finger I can see significant movement of the muzzle inside the slide (I didn't break out my feeler guage, but I'd say movement was at least .025). The rear lockup is just as bad, if not worse. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Back to Springfield it goes....

Brad

BevrFevr
March 19, 2003, 02:50 PM
That is one nice looking gun. I was going to recommend break in too but it sounds like you have found your problem.

Besides the accuracy problems how did it feed and eject?

With a 3lb trigger that thing should be a good shooter. I won't by 1911's myself because they seem prone to problems. It seems hard to find one that is both accurate and reliable but they all look good.

good luck! -bevr

WESHOOT2
March 19, 2003, 03:09 PM
I recently was involved with a LS that, even after considerable effort and expense by its owner, shoots for crap.
Sharp edges, too.

The owner invested in over ten brands/loads of high-quality factory ammo, and went the extra mile with quite a few handloads.
Shot from rest, other shooters, blah blah blah.........

I told him to send it back (way back, like into ingots :neener: )

IME SA guns aren't, as a whole, very accurate.

mec
March 20, 2003, 11:20 AM
a large problem with the springfield armory and other commercial 1911s is that the producers do not care what they are doing. My Milspec was throwing 5" bench groups at 25 yards and had the barrel slop you mention. Additionally, the slide was bored off-center for the barrel as well as overlarge. The fix- applied by Alex Hamilton-a gunsmith who DOES care what he is doing- was this weld job and this target bushing. He also did a 4.5 lb trigger for me and the gun shoots as good as you could hope:

mec
March 20, 2003, 11:21 AM
another stupid thing SA does is this whizzer of a firing pin. {note the Primer strikes}

firestar
March 20, 2003, 01:31 PM
That is correct about the sharp edges. Mine felt like it would cut you if you ran a finger along any edge.

I am not really a 1911 fan, if I were to get another one it would be a Colt or a Dan Wesson.

Brad Johnson
March 20, 2003, 02:21 PM
BevrFevr - To answer your question....

Aside from the accuracy issue the gun is a dream to shoot. Recoil and muzzle flip are about equal to my XD-9. Everything cycles nice and smooth. Extraction and ejection are very positive.

About the only real gripe (other than accuracy) is the hammer spring. It's gosh-awful heavy. In fact, it's so heavy that cycling the slide with the hammer down is darn near impossible when you have gun lube all over your hands. Light strikes will definitely NOT be an issue on this gun!

I did have a few short-stroke problems (no comments from the cheap seats! :D ) when using generic ammo. I imagine that this will resolve itself after a few hundred rounds of break-in shooting.

I sent the gun back to Springfield on Tuesday with a very nice, but very firm, letter saying that I expected more from a $900-plus pistol. We'll see what they do to resolve the issue.

Brad

WESHOOT2
March 22, 2003, 03:30 PM
Expect it will be awesome upon return.

Maybe.
Should be.

Brad Johnson
March 22, 2003, 05:49 PM
I hope you're right. I have high expectations, especially from a company with as much of a Good Guy rep as Springfield has.

I'll keep you posted...

Brad

sanchezero
March 22, 2003, 07:04 PM
Good luck to you.

I just got a milspec. First box I ran thru it I printed a 4-5" 7 rnd group offhand at 25yds, so it sounds like you got a lemon.

They oughta handle it for ya.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield longslide - a little disappointing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!