Clay shooting

PDA

MSGT9410
May 25, 2005, 09:37 PM
Hi everyone, just registered up on the forums. Been reading around on here for a while now, but I finally decided to post.

I'm currently looking for a good shotgun for use primarily in skeet shooting, but it may see other uses, such as dove hunting, and possibly deer hunting.
I currently own a Mossberg 195K-A 12 guage, which you can take a look at here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/M0ldyM1lk/P1010062.jpg) if you like.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about picking up a Remington 1100, 20 guage preferably. A friend of mine has said nothing but nice things about them, and said that it could prove to be just what I need, and for the price, it seems pretty nice. I was just wondering about the pros and cons of the weapon, and whether or not there are better options for the money. I saw a Saiga at a local shop, would love to get my hands on it, but decided that it wouldn't be a great idea for clay shooting, based on the reviews of them I read here on THR.
Any thoughts, tips, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Clay shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
May 25, 2005, 10:11 PM
Welcome to THR !

Being a Skeeter...

1100 in 20 ga is about as good as it gets for learning the game. 1100 is proven, and is still proving. This will allow you to compete in both the 12 ga, and 20 ga events.

Gun fit is important, and a wood stocked 1100 is easy to tweak the fit. If you want a recoil pad , or need one to tweak fit, the Pachmyer Deacelerator is my personal favorite - again a proven pc of equipment.

Used one will fill your needs just fine - if you can find one. Folks tend to hold onto these. Folks are still winning with these.

New guns, other guns to try for fit: Beretta 390/ 391 .

Any of these will break skeet targets, fell upland game and slugs fell critters.

Even if later you choose to get other platforms, gauges...any of these [ 1100, 390/ 391] you will still find yourself shooting the one you learned on.

MSGT9410
May 25, 2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the input!

I checked a dealer here and saw an 1100 20ga for 450 bucks.

Went to the local pawn shop, saw a weapon of the same model, and the guy said he'd let me take it out the door for 200 flat. I'm going to back there and look it over, to see if there's any problems that won't screw me over eventually.

I've been practicing with my 195, and can cycle the bolt quick enough to shoot skeet with it, but I'd rather have a different gun for regular use. Not that I have a problem shooting my 195, but I'd rather not put a lot more rounds through it than I really need to. It was my first gun, so I'd like to keep in in good condition (though I do clean it regularly, and after every use) so I can pass it on to the next generation when the time comes ;)

sm
May 25, 2005, 10:47 PM
$200 flat - is a steal. Make sure it is not in the literal sense.

Academy Sports sells the new ones around here IIRC for $458. Since you have handled a new one, you are better equipped to examine the one at the pawn shop. Is there someone that knows 1100s that could go with you to assist if need to checkout? Just to make sure someone didn't tinker with it for 3 gun or somesuch...open the ports to shoot a funky load or whatever.

www.remington.com is where you download a Manual. These are straightforward and easy to maintain.

WARNING: DO NOT, use your index finger on the inside opposite the breech. It is sharp and YOU WILL get a deep nasty cut. Then again if you do cut your trigger finger...welcome to the club. Kinda like Garand Thumb. :D Some of us belong to both clubs... ;)

Feel free to holler out if you need anything else. Good Luck!!

MSGT9410
May 25, 2005, 10:52 PM
Ha, I know about the razor sharp chamber :P

I've had my thumb slammed in an SKS once, does that count? ;)

And yes, I have a family friend who is very familiar with most Remington shotguns -- he's the one who reccomended the 1100 to me to begin with. I'll be sure to go check out the weapons again this week. Hopefully I'll have a new weapon within the next few days :D

kudu
May 25, 2005, 10:58 PM
The 1100 is a great gun, in all the gauges. If buying the used one check the gas ports like sm said as well as the O-ring and gas rings. The O-ring and gas rings can be replaced easily, but might explain why it's so cheap if someone didn't know why the gun was malfunctioning and just wanted to get rid of it.

Berettas in the 390-391 series are hard to beat also. 1100 is cheaper. :)

sm
May 25, 2005, 10:59 PM
Razor cut finger - check
Thumb slammed - check

Well phooey, you are a more seasoned firearm owner than most folks. You will make a great shotgunner, you already have some of the pre-req's down. :D

For a dollar I'll warn you about NOT standing too close the trap houses if a fellow shooter is using a Cutts .

It is okay to be the shooter using one tho'.... :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Clay shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!