My "new" 870 won't cycle

PDA

LooseGrouper
May 25, 2005, 09:12 PM
I bought a 20" 870 Express Magnum (3in chamber) about 2 years ago. I fooled around trying to shoot skeet with it and found that it would not cycle immeadiately after the shot is fired. If you wait for it to cool a little (30 secs?) it cycles easily. The range gunsmith/expert/whatever told me that it was due to the brass of my cheap Walmart ammunition expanding. Since I intended to use it as a turkey gun, it didn't bother me so much (I know...I really should have looked into this sooner).

Anyway, now I'm looking to maybe use the 870 as my HD gun, but I can't trust it until I figure out what's going on. Has anyone every had similar issues?

If you enjoyed reading about "My "new" 870 won't cycle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
May 25, 2005, 09:54 PM
Plastic hulls cause a grungy build-up. First I'd take a piece of Scotch-Brite scrubber pad wrapped around a brush and clean it well. One can even chuck up in a battery drill and do the whole bore...gets the plastic fouling out near muzzle too. Blast with CRC Brakleen ( or similar).

Naturally try some better ammo.

Check extractor, and carrier.

Holler back if need.

HTH

Steve

LooseGrouper
May 25, 2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks, I'll give the scrubber pad a try. As far as "good" ammunition, what qualifies? Sorry if this is too broad of a question, but I'm not very well versed in shotgun...yet...

Fred Fuller
May 25, 2005, 10:25 PM
I second the motion for a good chamber cleaning. If you didn't give the gun a good cleaning when you got it new, there may well still be factory preservative gumming up the works. Dig out your owner's manual, field strip the gun as per directions therein, and give it a good cleaning and proper lubrication throughout while you are at it.

If that doesn't work, try a different brand of ammo. If it will work then, you know the problem is ammo related...

Stay safe,

lpl/nc

sm
May 25, 2005, 10:38 PM
Don't get me riled...what I always shot forever is NOT. And I ain't happy...That said...

Do use the Remington Target loads , STS hulls seems to the best. This will give you a great load to test with less recoil, fit your skeet needs.

If you don't already - you may end up reloading anyway. With a MEC Single stage, you can then reload a better quality shell many many times with those hulls for the price of the promo loads that have ...err... "inferior quality components and quality control". *ahem*

Federal Value Pak have given me good service. My luck they will goof these up next because that is what I am using now...

I'm gonna lit a candle and maybe I'll fall in a hole full of OLD AA target loads, compression hulls, or maybe AA and Federal Paper hulled loads, Fiocchi, even Peter's Blue Magics...paper or plastic...

Pass the Tylenol...please. :)

Larry Ashcraft
May 25, 2005, 10:54 PM
I'm gonna lit a candle and maybe I'll fall in a hole full of OLD AA target loads, compression hulls, or maybe AA and Federal Paper hulled loads, Fiocchi, even Peter's Blue Magics...paper or plastic...
Steve, I guess I never mentioned... I've got some old AA's and some Blue magics in 12 ga. Not a lot, maybe a couple hundred. Can you use them?

EDIT: Hulls, not loaded rounds (Sorry, Preacherman).

Preacherman
May 25, 2005, 11:04 PM
Steve, I guess I never mentioned... I've got some old AA's and some Blue magics in 12 ga. Not a lot, maybe a couple hundred. Can you use them?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Is the sun bright?

Is Steve male?

I guess you get the picture... :D

Actually, for the good of Steve's soul, send them to me. I'll fire off a couple (boxes) of them to check, bless the rest, and send them on to Steve - eventually...

(Ducks for cover, seeks reinforcements, whimpers...)

sm
May 25, 2005, 11:28 PM
I ain't ever fired any hulls that have been blessed.

I have had numerous folks curse my rounds, my loadings, my shotguns, my shooting, my limits...me, lots of the later... :D

Larry - I appreciate the offer. Hold onto to them. I am "semi-retired" from reloading at the moment. I don't have a place at the moment set-up.

I kept only one of the Eleven Reloaders for shot- shell reloading when I went back to College ( I thought it was ten...I was reminded about one I forgot about...word is there still may another one I forgot...) :uhoh:

Oh I am the guy that loaded up a horse trailer full of hulls in 4 gauges and reloaders - remember? That was a sight to behold.

I used to be a range rat, I had BIG Reloading rooms, with kitchens and bedrooms off to the sides...front and back yards. Some folks call these "houses" or "homes". :scrutiny: :D

Besides, some day I'll be out your way, I figure by then the Trius will be on the deck , flanked by two benchrests for rifles. Never know when you and I will go shopping again and what you will drag....err...bring back home next time.

Oh - them grandkids if'n you got them reloading - they cannot get into too much trouble. I mean that is the reason you had them grandkids afterall ain't it? To reload, clean guns, pull targets....etc. :D

Why is Sandy looking at me like that? :p

pmbiker
May 27, 2005, 08:24 PM
My 870 express magnum HD won't cycle Sellier and bellot buckshot. I already had a bunch for my benelli nova but when I sold it to buy my remmy, the remmy didn't like em. It does just fine with domestic shells so that's what it gets. My guess was the silly crimp at the end, it was sorta rolled over with a cardboard plug.

If you enjoyed reading about "My "new" 870 won't cycle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!