Ill getting hammered again ?

PDA

bg
May 26, 2005, 02:57 PM
Found this pc. Seems it's a lose-lose deal for pro gun folks.
http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/56702.asp

If you enjoyed reading about "Ill getting hammered again ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff White
May 26, 2005, 03:36 PM
Well it all depends on how you look at it. If the boy governor uses the amendatory veto to strike the provisions that force the ISP to stop holding purchase records the legislature would have to revote on the bill to accept that change. This will kill it. There will be no closing of the non-existant gunshow loophole and we will have an anti gun action by a governor who has tried to run from his anti gun record to beat him about the head and shoulders with here in Southern Illinois during his re-election campaign next year. I doubt that this bill was ever meant to become law. It was just meant to force boy Rod to show his true colors.

Jeff

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/metroeast/story/F361C9ECE1C305F98625700D004D652A?OpenDocument
Bill to shut gun show “loophole” clears Senate
BY KATE THAYER
Post-Dispatch Springfield Bureau
05/26/2005

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Illinois senators on Wednesday moved to close the so-called "gun show loophole" by approving a plan that would require background checks at gun shows - but only after gun advocates attached an amendment that would require the destruction of gun purchase records.

The main part of the bill requires background checks at gun shows, a practice already done in gun shops. Critics say gun buyers use gun shows to get around background checks.

But under an amendment approved with the bill, police would have to destroy records of all firearm purchases - including those made at gun stores - after 90 days, unless they are needed for an ongoing police investigation or if someone was denied a gun purchase. Currently, those records are kept indefinitely in an Illinois State Police database.

The bill, which has already passed the House, now goes to Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

He immediately vowed to use his amendatory veto power to keep the background checks but prevent destruction of the records.

Because of the records destruction provision, the bill's passage by a 34-25 vote is widely considered another win for the National Rifle Association this session. The NRA earlier this week succeeded in stopping gun control initiatives of Blagojevich and Chicago Mayor Richard Daley.

"The NRA might have thought they could force us to eliminate the (gun purchase) database by attaching it to legislation that closes the problematic gun show loophole - but they were dead wrong," Blagojevich said in a written statement. "We can and should keep gun transaction records and close the gun show loophole."

Opponents of the proposal say the records are useful to police and necessary to track gunrunners.

"These lists are a valuable law enforcement tool," said Sen. Don Harmon, D-Oak Park.

Supporters say keeping the records infringes on the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

The bill's sponsor, Sen. Peter Roskam, R-Wheaton, said the proposal was a compromise between gun control advocates who want to close the loophole and those who pushed for the destruction of records.

However, during Wednesday's debate, opponents pointed out that they couldn't support closing the loophole because it meant acting in favor of the gun lobby and the destruction of records.

"This bill is not a compromise, this is an outright surrender," said Sen. Jeffrey Schoenberg, D-Evanston.

NRA lobbyist Todd Vandermyde said the proposal was an act of compromise and part of his group's success this year. He said the favorable attitude toward the gun lobby this year has to do with the public's heightened need for security.

"In a post-9/11 era, it's a different world," he said. "People are thinking about their own personal safety, and Chicago-style gun control just doesn't fly."

All six senators from southwestern Illinois voted for the bill, SB57, including Democrats James Clayborne of Belleville, Deanna Demuzio of Carlinville and William Haine of Alton, and Republicans Frank Watson of Greenville, John Jones of Mount Vernon and David Luechtefeld of Okawville.

Reporter Kate Thayer
E-mail: kthayer@post-dispatch.com
Phone: 217-782-4912

Matthew748
May 26, 2005, 06:50 PM
The whole "gunshow loophole" that they prattle on about always gets me mad. Even if private party sales bypass the background check, there is still the 72 hour wait on hand guns and 24 hour wait on long guns to contend with. This fouls every deal I have ever found at a gun show. I'll find something I would like to buy, but the inconvenience and expense of being forced to drive hundreds of miles (I am talking round trip here) just to take position due to the waiting period causes me to pass every time.

SmershAgent
May 26, 2005, 08:46 PM
Not to mention that both buyer and seller must have a valid FOID to do a private transfer. Anything that would prevent you from being issued one would also kill your background check. There's no "loophole" and there never was. It's just an attempt to create another layer of hassle and oversight for people who want to do lawful private commerce.

As far as the amendatory veto goes, I'm not sure I'm entirely clear how it works. This is my understanding, and if anyone can corroborate or correct my impressions, I'd be most grateful:

1) Rod vetoes the database destruction section

2) The bill is returned to the GA with that provision removed

3a) The GA must vote in favor of the revised bill by a simple majority and it returns to the governor to be signed

3b) The GA can override the vetoed section by a 3/5 majority, in which case the original bill becomes law

Am I missing something? I believe the original bill passed by a veto-proof margin in the Senate and came up only 2 votes short in the House. It's possible the 3/5 margin is doable, but I suspect Rod is going to be hard pressed to find half the members from both chamber who will support private party background checks on their own.

Sungun09
May 27, 2005, 01:26 PM
We need your help desperately.

I spoke to my State Rep. today who told me the "Assault Weapons Ban" is being re-crafted for re-introduction in a slightly gelded version.

The idea is to ban "assualt weapons" including the AR-15 and the AK-47, some pistols, the .50 cal etc. but it "preserves our rights" in other areas.

Lose one - lose em all eventually

SmershAgent
May 27, 2005, 05:01 PM
Who is your Representative?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ill getting hammered again ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!