Colt-CZ built pistol??

PDA

Glockster35
May 27, 2005, 03:19 PM
Anyone remember the name of the pistol that Colt and CZ partnered on building? I recall Colt backing out soon after it hit the streets, but did CZ continue building it?

Anyone have first hand experience with this handgun?

I saw one once that had been customized by a local gunsmith when I lived in the Bay Area, however I have not seen one since.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt-CZ built pistol??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Psssniper
May 27, 2005, 03:45 PM
Czolt ?
Coltz ? ;)

DnPRK
May 27, 2005, 04:05 PM
Colt 2000 All American?

LiquidTension
May 27, 2005, 04:13 PM
I think you're talking about the CZ40. No idea if Colt actually had anything to do with it, but the grip was designed to be more like a 1911. CDNN has some for $250 in their most recent catalogue.

W Turner
May 27, 2005, 04:14 PM
It was the CZ40. It was a collaboration between Colt and CZ but there were two different versions produced.
The Colt version was a DAO, the CZ version has the unique CZ action where you can either carry it cocked'n'locked or you can manually lower the hammer for a DA first shot.

The grip looks like a double-stack 1911 and the front end looks similar to a Sig, IMO. All of the reviews I have ever read suggest that it is a pretty nice weapon, especially when CDNN was selling them as a closeout for $299. I think they are compatible with the mags from the other CZ's in .40.

W

petrel800
May 27, 2005, 04:27 PM
CZ40B

I actually purchased one of these. Nice little pistols. DA/SA with the CZ-75 action. The grip angle is equal to that of the 1911. Safety will allow for cocked and locked carry (No decocker). Not sure why thats necessary on a DA pistol.

I've shot mine a few times. I got mine for about $318 out the door. Overall its a nice pistol, except .40 s&w does very little for me. Its recoil seems much stouter that a .45 acp to me.

Unfortunatly, it seems CDNN has run out. Someone on the CZ board seemed to know of another distributer, but I never really looked into it. If you like the .40 round, these are a great deal.

armoredman
May 27, 2005, 04:40 PM
Nope, the CZ40 is NOT the one. The CZ40 was what CZ made out of the parts left over from the DA only, "Colt" marked Z-40, 800 made. Colt dropped out of the deal after the first run was built.
I actually handled one when they hit the market, and will kick myself for a long time for not buying it. It had the slickest, best DAO trigger i ever felt. The last time I saw one for sale was at West O The Pecos Guns in Tucson, for $800. They were going for $1500 in California...

hso
May 27, 2005, 04:46 PM
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976226649.htm

Yep. Z-40

PCRCCW
May 28, 2005, 02:00 PM
Dave/Armoredman got it right.....the Colt gun is the Z40, DAO trigger with nice nice trigger pull.......850-900 of the guns were recieved by Colt. The CZ40B is CZ using the left over parts that were the Colt design. Basically you have a 1911 style (not clone) gun thats a double stack 40, same trigger guard and grip shape as the Gobt model. The internals are all CZ, barrel is a Sig lockup style and the triggers are some of the best CZ ever made.
The sights are even Colt Defender drop ins.......They are a stellar gun.
Heres my Semi Custom......its pretty much done as it appears here.http://www.imageseek.com/hbeleather/gallery/albums/shop/P1010028.jpg
Shoot well

larry starling
May 28, 2005, 07:30 PM
Nice grips on that CZ40! will standard 1911 grips fit or did you have to get them special made? Local gun store has a Colt Z40 available for $699! I looked it over 2 or 3 times but have passed! :banghead:

Walt Sherrill
May 28, 2005, 07:40 PM
Grips are not standard 1911.

The only thing 1911-like is the grip angle. Its a double-stack mag. The internals, as PCRCCW indicated, are pure CZ-75.

Had once once, may get one again, one of these days.

I've not encountered a Z-40, but they're supposed to have a VERY NICE DAO trigger.

Standard CZ-75B 40 mags will work, but the 40B has a slightly different baseplate; without it, there's an ugly gap at the bottom of the grip frame.

armoredman
May 28, 2005, 07:56 PM
Z-40 has INCREDIBLE double action only trigger.....butter smooth. I passed because it was a full size 40 with a 10 round mag....I had no idea how rare they were, and my range/shop had 6 of them....

Longbow
May 28, 2005, 09:32 PM
:) :)
' paid $450 (used) for it back in '02. Its marked Colt Z40. No box or papers though.
I have no idea its that rare. I almost traded it for a SIG 220. She'll be a safe queen now!

Walt Sherrill
May 28, 2005, 09:40 PM
Its pretty rare, but most serious collectors want the works: box (in unused condition), manuals, etc., and the gun in NIB condition.

Yours MIGHT be more valuable, over time, than what you paid -- but don't expect it to go way up.

Interestingly, the "COLT" enthusiasts turned their backs on the Z-40; most of them were snapped up by folks who saw an opportunity, but I don't know how many were experienced collectors.

If I get one, it'll be used, and I'll shoot it.

Ash
May 29, 2005, 02:46 PM
And if you notice, the Colt Z-40 is stamped in such a way as to be both CZ and Colt. The C in Colt is much larger and more sylized, to match the Z. It is, IMO, an amalgamation of both names. The inititals of Colt Z-40 is, after all, CZ-40.

Ash

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt-CZ built pistol??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!