Excellent Day at the Range....and a Little Horse Tradin'

PDA

magsnubby
May 28, 2005, 12:14 AM
I decided i needed a little trigger time so i called my buddy and said "Pack your range bag. I'll be there in about 30 minutes". I only took 2 guns, a Charter Arms Offduty that i had changed grips on and wanted to try out, and my Mauser M48. Mike brought 3, an AR15, M1 carbine and a Springfield XD in .40 cal.

After burning up a bunch of rifle ammo we broke out the handguns. I found out that a 12 1/2 oz gun plus boot grips plus 135 gr Gold Dots plus carpal tunnel can get a little stout after about 4 cylinders full.

After 3 mags full Mike hands me the XD. Now i shot that gun right after he bought it last year, and while it was okay, it just didn't really excite me. It couldn't get through a mag full without a malfunction. It wasn't the guns fault, it was lousy gun show ammo. The stuff wouldn't even function in my Glock 23 so i couldn't really make a fair assessment of the XD and it just didn't "feel" right. Mike tried it out with some factory ammo a couple of weeks later and it functioned just fine. This time around i had good factory ammo. Since i do most of my defensive shooting at 21 feet , simi rapid fire, that's the distance i shot the XD from. The first mag full all stayed in the X ring. By the time i went through a box of 180 gr hardball i really started to like the XD.

It seems Mike didn't really care for the XD all that much. I went home with the XD and Mike went home with my Taurus 94 .22 LR and $150.00 of my hard earned over time money. I think i'm really gonna like the XD.

CORECTION. I should have typed...."all stayed in the 9,10 and X ring".

If you enjoyed reading about "Excellent Day at the Range....and a Little Horse Tradin'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
May 28, 2005, 08:28 AM
Wow, I would have done that trade too. Turned out to be a good day I think.

magsnubby
May 28, 2005, 12:54 PM
I'm more than happy with the deal. It came in the original box with all the original paper work and the plastic bag the gun was shipped in. It has the original fired case and the sample target that came with the gun from the factory. It's dated 12-24-01.

DarkKnight01
May 28, 2005, 01:32 PM
Sounds like a good trade to me :) I plan on getting an XD sooner or later, the only bad thing ive heard about em is the slide rusting quickly, I plan to supplement that by getting one in stainless anyway, I just prefer stainless on a carry gun, much more durable.

I was thinking of the subcompact XD prolly in .40 flavor, sounds like a winner.

garyk/nm
May 28, 2005, 03:22 PM
That is one HECK of a deal! considering that the used market on XDs is in the $300-350 range and probably higher in CA. Congrats, magsnubby, you got yourself a real nice shooter there!
If you have XD questions, check out http://www.hs2000talk.com

magsnubby
May 28, 2005, 03:27 PM
I've heard that same slide rusting rumor. This one is 3 1/2 yo and there's not a speck of rust anywhere on the slide. None of the dealers here in town have ever saw one with a rusty slide. So i'm sure not going to worry about it.

magsnubby
May 28, 2005, 04:58 PM
garyk/nm,
Thanks for the link. Looks like a good site.

A used XD goes for around $450.00 here plus tax (8%) and $40.00 transfer fees. The Taurus goes for about $250.00 used. The Taurus cost me $312.00 otd in November 2000. I actually think it feels better than my Glock 23.

DarkKnight01
May 28, 2005, 06:43 PM
I've heard that same slide rusting rumor. This one is 3 1/2 yo and there's not a speck of rust anywhere on the slide. None of the dealers here in town have ever saw one with a rusty slide. So i'm sure not going to worry about it.

Great =) perhaps its something wrong with the new finish their using on the sub compacts or something.... maybe the finish on yours is different it being a little older, really not sure as I dont have first hand experience, but if thats the only bad rumor out there about them, they cant be too bad at all, hence the reason I got my eye out for one :D

garyk/nm
May 28, 2005, 07:32 PM
I have an XD9 subbie, about the same vintage as yours, magsnubby, and it is my "keeper" gun. Others may come and go, but the XD will remain. It just fits me right, ya know? No rust on mine either. What I like about the XD vs the Glock (no flames, please; this is one man's humble opinion) is the grip angle feels more natural. I'm at 5k+ rounds and never a failure of any kind.

Psssniper
May 28, 2005, 08:03 PM
I get just a bit of "rust" on the slide of my XD-40 every now and then. I clean well and wipe it down with good oil but it reappears, nothing drastic just a hint of red. Oh well, gun still shoots great.

If you enjoyed reading about "Excellent Day at the Range....and a Little Horse Tradin'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!