Just happened to think....

PDA

SMMAssociates
May 28, 2005, 04:40 PM
I know - I should stop that before I hurt myself, but.... :)

It occurs to me that one more reason why the anti's give us so much trouble about firearms ownership and in particular, about self defense (never mind Concealed Carry or having a gun in a vehicle) is that:

they are afraid (or unwilling) to admit that their cocoons aren't really as safe as they want to believe. :mad:

"Nothing will happen to me if I deliver a pizza at 0330 in a neighborhood the Police don't like to visit...."

They just don't want to realize that a Police Officer can't be at their door before they finish dialing "911", or that the alarm system won't either scare off the BG or at least save them the trouble of finding a phone. It's a dangerous world out there at times, but they've been conditioned to believe that "home" or "car" is safe. :what:

Just IMHO. Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just happened to think...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dasmi
May 28, 2005, 04:44 PM
they are afraid (or unwilling) to admit that their cocoons aren't really as safe as they want to believe.

yes, that is part of it.

El Tejon
May 28, 2005, 04:52 PM
As one who works with denial all day ("O.K., there's an eyewitness who saw you shoot the drug dealer in the head, all 5 of your co-defendants have flipped, the ballistics all point to you and then there's your confession--I say you should plead but you say you are innocent and were home asleep in another state"), antis exhibit the classic symptoms of denial.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. :D

SiG Lady
May 28, 2005, 06:23 PM
Though not a fully professional opinion, my experience with anti's has been that many of them...

1. Have never touched a gun.
2. Don't know anything much at all about them, hence they're in fear.
3. Have managed to believe only what they hear elsewhere.
4. Have certainly NEVER experienced the pleasure of sport shooting.
5. Fail to FULLY realize that it's a predatory world we live in.
6. Are too trusting (revisit No. 5 and No. 3).
7. Don't realize the maturity in empowering themselves with knowledge/use of firearms and what they're for.
8. Are failing to live up to their personal responsiblity to defend themselves and their territory as is normal for most planetary species.

...and things like that. :mad:

Standing Wolf
May 28, 2005, 08:33 PM
they are afraid (or unwilling) to admit that their cocoons aren't really as safe as they want to believe....

That's part of it, certainly, but that doesn't explain why they feel entitled to deprive us of the right to defend our lives and property. If they were to content themselves with failing to defend themselves, I'd have to figure it was their problem. The crux of the matter is that they're attempting to demand that we follow their poor example—except for the likes of the Hero of Chappaquiddick and that Feinstein individual, of course. They enjoy the protection of body guards at our expense.

SMMAssociates
May 28, 2005, 09:18 PM
That's part of it, certainly, but that doesn't explain why they feel entitled to deprive us of the right to defend our lives and property. If they were to content themselves with failing to defend themselves, I'd have to figure it was their problem. The crux of the matter is that they're attempting to demand that we follow their poor example—except for the likes of the Hero of Chappaquiddick and that Feinstein individual, of course. They enjoy the protection of body guards at our expense. Standing Wolf:

Actually, I think that's what I said :neener: . By admitting that anybody needs the means for self-defense, they must admit that they might, and there goes the cocoon.... :eek:

Bodyguards don't count. They seem to appreciate the State needing to keep the unwashed in line, whether it's their own personal protection or the local PD. As long as we're not allowed over the fence.... :fire:

An uncle of mine, now deceased, lived in a "gated community" in Boca Raton FL. Two entrances, each with two armed guards in attendance, gates, etc. I was down there and was invited to bring my daughter - then about 6 - to use the playground. Felt like scum having to sit at the gate while they checked to see if I was on the list....

I wear a well-trimmed beard, clean and neat clothing (not camo or jeans), and was driving a year-old Lincoln Town Car at the time, I just didn't feel like I should have even looked worth checking out. 'Course if I was on the other side of the window, being a rent-a-cop, I'd probably have done the same.

(FWIW, I was on the property about four times that trip. I was waved on through without a stop the last three. Guess I should keep my trap shut. I just have a thing about gated communities when I don't live there :D . One one of those visits we gathered there to head out for dinner - my folks [who were snowbirding across town], me and my family, and a cousin's family. Cousin's husband walked over: "Nice rental!" "Yup, but I had to pay a ton extra to get OH plates on it...." First and only time I ever "got" that guy. :D )

(Why a rent-a-cop can afford a Town Car? Well, they actually made a cheap model that year, and bear in mind that LE was a part time thing. The former day job was still going strong then, and after some 30 years in upper management, I actually could afford the cheap one. I wasn't on the road anymore, so the fact that it was too big to turn around in some patrol account driveways didn't matter. We told people it was for checking affluent neighborhoods.... I'm still driving one - it has suntan oil stains on the seatbelts. It was a rental in Orlando before I got it.... :cool: )

Regards,

XLMiguel
May 28, 2005, 09:54 PM
IMO, it's a reality thang, or more accurately, a lack of reality. They want to believe in the fundamental goodness of human nature (you know about "assume", right?), that life is fair, and if everyone would just 'follow the rules', life would be grand and so on.

Though there's nothing wrong with wanting these things, and there is, indeed, good in most people, and we should strive for fairness, the rules/laws should be rational, etc., and worth following; but it's dealing (or actually, not dealing) with the stuff that doesn't fit the model that causes the problems. It's like the saying, "When values are sufficient, laws are unnecessary; when values are insufficient, laws are irrelevant."

It is denial that life isn't fair, that not everyone plays by the rules, human nature is flawed, and that sometimes bad things happen for no decernable reason and that these things really do have to be dealt with. I don't know whether it's lack of will or courage, ineptitude, stubborness, whatever; but for some reason, they make excuses, obsfuscate, vascilitate, and do most anything easy (e.g. pass another law or yammer for another gov't 'program') rather than do what really needs to be done, because it means they would have to admit that the world doesn't fit their view. No lollipops, puppydogs, rainbows and happily ever after. Life is hard.

"Bliss-ninney" is an accurate term for many of them. It's easier to feel than to think or even examine the emotion to understand why you feel that way, let alone do something about it. It's easier to admire the problem and complain about it than to solve it - that will likely require a decison, take work, and also require a sacrifice/take a stand. Life is hard.

But I ramble, seems to be happening a lot lately.

Selfdfenz
May 28, 2005, 11:23 PM
At the core of all the comments made so far (which are really just the details) is the "Universal Liberal Truth" that motivates the antis and their kind to externalize.

They are "smarter than" and "righter than" everyone else. Without those core values no one would know what an anti was.

Ditto for the ACLU, enviromanicas, animal rightist etc. Twin smarter, righter sons of different mothers.
S-

If you enjoyed reading about "Just happened to think...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!