Lost a friend and gun shop owner.

PDA

Sharps Shooter
May 29, 2005, 03:08 AM
Iím sorry to report my wife and I attended the funeral of Chuck Aikin today. Chuck owned and operated one of the last of the small, privately owned gun and sporting good stores in this area. His Dad, Lee Aikin opened the store in 1961 and turned it over to Chuck in 1981. Lee Aikinís Sports was a mainstay of downtown Pocatello. Chuck was 52. He was killed in a motorcycle accident last Sunday.

Naturally, Lee Aikinís Sports couldnít go head to head with the likes of Walmart or Sportsmanís Warehouse on gun prices, but you canít get a cup of coffee and have good, friendly hunting conversation at Walmart while fondling the latest addition to their gun inventory. Besides, once you buy a gun from one of those chain stores, itís yours. With Chuck, if you had a problem, or wanted the trigger adjusted, the stock shortened, or a recoil pad added, he would take care of it. Chuck was not a gunsmith himself, but he had a good one who came in a couple of times a week to take care of his customers needs.

Chuck was an active member or the NRA, Ducks Unlimited, Safari Club International, Rocky Mountain Elk Association, and a founding member of the Southeast Idaho Mule Deer Association. He had hunted pretty much all over Idaho and he just recently put his African lion on display in his store from his Africa trip a couple of years back.

The Aikin family at this time intends to keep the store open. I hope theyíre successful. We donít need to loose another small gun store. Weíve already lost a good friend.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost a friend and gun shop owner." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gunsmith
May 29, 2005, 03:15 AM
he sounded like a real gentleman

MountainPeak
May 29, 2005, 08:15 AM
RIP Chuck. It sounds like he was a great guy. Sorry to hear about his passing. Dave

May 29, 2005, 02:59 PM
Spent some time in Pocatello back in '95, I hink. Put n the new weather radar out at the airport weather station. Seem to recall stopping in at a couple of small shops there. Friendly town, friendly people. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Monkeyleg
May 29, 2005, 06:18 PM
It sounds like he was a good friend to have. I'm sorry for your loss, and his family's.

Husker1911
May 29, 2005, 07:09 PM
The shooting community is deprived another friend and member. RIP.

Mannlicher
May 29, 2005, 07:16 PM
I am sorry for the loss to his family, and community. Chuck sounds like the kind of guy I would like. I know my local gun shop is not unlike his.

Sam
May 29, 2005, 08:24 PM
Been there a couple of times when I taught at INEL.
Hate to see another one go. Too many lately, then ending of an era.

Sam

Hardtarget
May 29, 2005, 11:25 PM
Next to firearms, motercycles are my kind of machines. I've lost three friends in two years on the motercycles...zero to gun accidents. I'm sorry to hear he is gone. Even though I may have never made it to his store, he sounds like the kind of man I'd have liked. I know you and his friends will miss him...for many reasons.
Mark.

Ala Dan
May 29, 2005, 11:38 PM
So sorry to learn of this trajedy, thou I didn't know the gentleman I know
its a terrible loss for the community. With prayers and condolesences for
his family and friends; may GOD speed to him.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost a friend and gun shop owner." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!