Stairway to Nowhere

PDA

Vernal45
May 29, 2005, 03:58 PM
Stairway to Nowhere
Sunday, May 29, 2005

By Scott Norvell

A high school student who painted an image that kinda sorta looks like a stairway to heaven had to change it after some folks complained about the religious imagery, reports the Napa Valley Register.

The student, who carries a Bible and has earned the nickname Pastor K., said he didn't want to offend anyone and immediately changed the image on a painting outside the Napa High School art room.

Stairs previously leading to a castle in the sky now lead to a sunspot in the sky, and the castle is moored to the ground instead of planted in clouds. "I don't want to cause anyone to get upset," said the student, Kyle Trudelle.

Some observant students wonder, however, why no one has complained about a nearby mural depicting the Virgin Mary. It was explained that that painting is about Hispanic heritage, so it's OK.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stairway to Nowhere" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beerslurpy
May 29, 2005, 04:48 PM
rofl

The virgin mary is "hispanic heritage" but even hinting at an afterlife is an unacceptable joining of church and state?

I'm an athiest and even I think this is mentally retarded. On both counts. Let students paint religiously inspired murals if they wish.

Third_Rail
May 29, 2005, 04:50 PM
Let students paint religiously inspired murals if they wish.

My feelings as well. Freedom of religion, not from religion.

thorn726
May 29, 2005, 04:58 PM
what craziness- i find the "castle in the sky" to be what - basically similar to a pic of star wars of lord of the rings-
Mary, a definitive religious symbol.

to get both sides of it=

i am VERY religious, an also American= this is insane. we can allow Mary , but not this castle thing?

INSANE - not t omention in school, allowing the Mary is shoving Mary down everyone else's throat.
if it was SAtan, there would be a problem. obviously if it is nayone but Jesus related there is a problem.

my firm belief= God smiles on the US not only because of the large number of Christians here, but also because we allow non Christians t omake up their own minds.

this story makes me angry

Standing Wolf
May 29, 2005, 06:13 PM
The student, who carries a Bible and has earned the nickname Pastor K., said he didn't want to offend anyone and immediately changed the image on a painting outside the Napa High School art room.

No guts, no glory.

jefnvk
May 29, 2005, 06:28 PM
Explain to me how keeping religion out of school is the way of the First Amendment. IMHO, athesist is a form of religion. By not allowing anyone to show their religious views, aren't athesists jsut as intolerant as anyone forcing their religion on someone?

DMF
May 29, 2005, 06:59 PM
Vernal how come you NEVER give the source (a link would be nice) of these articles you post? :confused:

Vernal45
May 29, 2005, 07:24 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,158027,00.html

Johnny Guest
May 30, 2005, 06:15 PM
Totally off topic.

Closed.

Johnny

If you enjoyed reading about "Stairway to Nowhere" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!