Man claims racism at conference

PDA

Vernal45
May 29, 2005, 04:00 PM
Posted 05/24/05
BAKERSFIELD - In a recent effort to tackle race relations, some county social workers were sent to New Orleans to a conference held by the National Association of Black Social Workers.

Brian Parnell said he and his co-workers attended the conference, but Parnell said he wasn’t allowed inside because of the color of his skin.

Parnell is Caucasian, and he said he never made it in the conference.

“I approached the registration table and was greeted by a very friendly fellow who looked me in the eye and said, ‘Are you black?’” said Parnell. “I told him that I'm not and he told me that the conference was only for people who were black and so I wasn't able to register to attend the conference.”

Convinced the individual had mis-spoke, Parnell said he contacted his fellow co-workers and his superior in Bakersfield.

“I was able to speak with a conference chair at the conference who basically reiterated to me the same thing that Brian has been told,” said, Parnell’s supervisor, Pat Cheadle.

“I was shocked,” said Parnell. “I was surprised that in 2005, I could be singled out because of the color of my skin.”

The organization’s website is down, but the Dallas Chapter website is running. While it doesn’t overtly exclude other races, it does focus on empowering the black community.

Local attorney Richard Papst said since the organization is non-profit and tax-exempt, if the discrimination occurred, there could be huge consequences.

“They could lose their tax-exempt status and then be subject to all the usual tax obligations that everybody else has,” said Papst.

Parnell hasn’t decided whether to take legal action, but he has filed a civil rights claim with the federal government.

No one from the National Association of Black Social Workers were available to comment at this time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Man claims racism at conference" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sindawe
May 29, 2005, 04:21 PM
IMAO, the crux lies with their status and funding. If they are a private .org that takes no federal funds, they may admit or deny anyone they wish to. If they take federal $$$, they have violated the mans civil rights by discriminating against him based on the color of his skin.

Standing Wolf
May 29, 2005, 06:15 PM
I was surprised that in 2005, I could be singled out because of the color of my skin.

Did he arrive from Mars Thursday or Friday? Skin color is more important in America today than it ever was during Jim Crow times.

larry starling
May 29, 2005, 06:22 PM
I think this a great example of reverse discrimination! I think it happens a lot but people are scared to report it! Im not in favor of racism, but I feel that there is a lot of black on white racism that just gets swept under the carpet!
And if there found to have violated this guys civil rights they should be punished! :scrutiny:

garyk/nm
May 29, 2005, 06:22 PM
Yeah, but just try setting up the "National Association of White Male Social Workers" and see where that gets you. Sued into oblivion, no doubt. :barf:

thorn726
May 29, 2005, 06:27 PM
Yeah, but just try setting up the "National Association of White Male Social Workers" and see where that gets you. Sued into oblivion, no doubt.

exactly the problem.

The Rabbi
May 29, 2005, 08:05 PM
Y'all are missing the point: Blacks by definition cannot be racist because they were discriminated against in the past. Ergo they are free to exclude anyone they want without being charged with racial discrimination. Racism by definition is a white person's failing.
I have actually heard this argument advanced.

Chipperman
May 29, 2005, 09:33 PM
I have heard that exact garbage before as well.
It makes me want to vomit every time I hear something like that.

Fly320s
May 29, 2005, 10:26 PM
I think this a great example of reverse discrimination!
No offense, Mr. Starling, but there is no such thing.

If one person makes an assumption or opinion or judgement based on the color of another person's skin that is discrimination, plain and simple.

Whether that discrimination is illegal is another matter.

dolanp
May 29, 2005, 10:32 PM
About time someone dragged the justice system into this mess that's been developing for a while now. We are going to relive the past only the roles will be reversed.

joab
May 29, 2005, 10:57 PM
Not to split frog hairs Rabbi but the theory of Black people's inability to be racist is not due to the fact that they experienced racism against them, it's because they have no power to dominate and oppress only whites can be racists everybody else has to settle for being prejudiced

The Rabbi
May 29, 2005, 11:32 PM
Not to split frog hairs Rabbi but the theory of Black people's inability to be racist is not due to the fact that they experienced racism against them, it's because they have no power to dominate and oppress only whites can be racists everybody else has to settle for being prejudiced

You are, of course, correct. I forgot that Blacks have no power.

Andrew Wyatt
May 29, 2005, 11:44 PM
Joab: i think this incident safely blew that theory out of the water. well, that and all the incidents i witnessed in HS and jr high where black yard monitors would give preferential treatment to black students who liked to beat up white students.

Waitone
May 29, 2005, 11:52 PM
Racism in support of diversity is cool! :scrutiny:

Jeff
May 30, 2005, 01:30 AM
How did social service offices send anyone down to the conference without knowing the status of the organization holding the conference?

Something seems odd.

dasmi
May 30, 2005, 01:33 AM
it's because they have no power

Colin Powell...Condoleza Rice...

38SnubFan
May 30, 2005, 01:39 AM
Parnell hasn’t decided whether to take legal action, but he has filed a civil rights claim with the federal government. GOOD! It's about time someone brought to light that THE ROLES HAVE BEEN REVERSED!

Personally, I feel really bad for what happened in the 50s and 60s and before, segregation and all. BUT....it happened then, NOT NOW!

It's time they get over it, and allow for all of us to live with respect and oppurtunity for EACH OTHER!

If "Black Empowerment" is OK, then so should "White Empowerment," "Latin Empowerment," "Jewish Empowerment," etc.

-38SnubFan

winstonsmith
May 30, 2005, 01:40 AM
This whole overpowering the victim thing is going to destroy our country, especially when the victim is misnamed.

joab
May 30, 2005, 07:15 AM
I never said I agree with the theory.
First time I heard it I didn't know whether to laugh or throw up

Matthew748
May 30, 2005, 07:24 AM
I don't know why this surprises anyone. There are very few organizations interested in promoting equality. Organizations like this are not interested in equal rights, they are interested in special rights.

fletcher
May 30, 2005, 08:39 AM
Did he arrive from Mars Thursday or Friday? Skin color is more important in America today than it ever was during Jim Crow times.

It looks to me he said that just for show. That same line has been used by various racist groups against whites for quite some time. IMO, he knows that and is using it for effect.

The Rabbi
May 30, 2005, 08:50 AM
Quote:
it's because they have no power

Colin Powell...Condoleza Rice...

They're not really Black.

RealGun
May 30, 2005, 03:06 PM
I cannot think of one thing positive to say about this subject. Such conferences are more about being black than being a professional. The same is true about the Congressional Black Caucus.

Barbara
May 30, 2005, 03:19 PM
It's ok when a white person complains that they are discriminated against because they're white, because its about time, but its not ok when a black person complains when they're descriminated because they're black, because we're tired of hearing about it?

svtruth
May 30, 2005, 03:43 PM
I would love it if someone could define "Black" and "White."
I'm a biologist and I can define a bigger genetic difference between a man and a woman, than I can between Black and White.
Please somebody, prove me wrong.

nico
May 30, 2005, 04:21 PM
It's ok when a white person complains that they are discriminated against because they're white, because its about time, but its not ok when a black person complains when they're descriminated because they're black, because we're tired of hearing about it?
no, it's OK when a person of any race complains about actual discrimination.

It's NOT OK when a black person (or any other person) claims racism any time they don't get everything they want exactly the way they want it.

I'm not trying to start, or add to any tit for tat argument over who gets discriminated against more. But (and this probably has a lot to do with the fact that the county I live in is >50% black) in my lifetime I've come across more black people than white people who were openly racist and it seems to generally be socially acceptable.

svtruth, you're completely right, but the vast majority of people will never understand (and don't care to understand) biology well enough to realize that.

Barbara
May 30, 2005, 04:31 PM
I grew up in an area that was probably just under 50% white, and I've met a lot more white racists than black ones. I've met both, of course, but I hear a lot more white people whine about it.

That being said, I hope the conference wasn't done with public funds, because the government has no business funding anything that discriminates based on race. If it was privately funded, I don't much care, to be honest.

dolanp
May 30, 2005, 04:35 PM
I grew up in a place that was under 10% white and mostly hispanic and let me tell you racism is just incidental to the culture when the 'minority' race becomes the majority.

The Rabbi
May 30, 2005, 05:22 PM
I'm sure we've all had experiences of one kind or another. The point is that blacks seem very willing, on the national stage, to play the race card and claim it when there isnt any. Whites are not credible when they claim discrimination even when there obviously is. Discrimination against any person for any external reason is repugnant and needs to stop.

Selfdfenz
May 30, 2005, 05:44 PM
What happened to this fellow was far from cool but if you think private organizations like the Boy Scouts and country clubs have some rights picking who they let join & participate, then this group does also, as long as they are 100% privately funded.

The Rabbi
May 30, 2005, 05:47 PM
In principle I agree. But since this society is a professional society supposedly dedicated to some public good rather than being merely social I think they have an obligation to be open to non-Blacks. The NAACP was founded by whites btw.

joab
May 30, 2005, 06:05 PM
The NAACP was founded by whites btw. Really? I did not know that
if you think private organizations like the Boy Scouts and country clubs have some rights picking who they let join & participate, then this group does also, as long as they are 100% privately funded. I agree as long, also, as no public funds are used to send these social workers to the conference

Selfdfenz
May 30, 2005, 06:42 PM
is a professional society supposedly dedicated to some public good

Well....they would have us believe that but it might be giving this particular outfit a pretty big benefit of the doubt IMHO.

Not sure I see professional....
Not sure I see evidence of dedicated to the public good......

OTOH I do think the BSofA are both.

S-

The Rabbi
May 30, 2005, 07:13 PM
Notice the word "supposedly". Yes, I do like to give the benefit of the doubt.

The NAACP was founded by Mary White Ovington, after readfing an article by William English Walling, both white.

If you enjoyed reading about "Man claims racism at conference" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!