Hypothetical California CCW Question

PDA

Kevlarman
June 1, 2005, 10:48 PM
I realize that getting a Cali CCW is almost impossible (where I live, anyways), but I was just thinking: you're allowed to have a max of 3 guns on your permit, right?

Say I put my Glock 30 on the permit. That's one gun right? But, the Glock has the capability to swap uppers, say to a G29. I can also do a barrel/mag swap and shoot .40S&W and .357SIG.

Now then, if I were to use my pistol in a self-defense situation, would I be in any legal trouble using a cartridge my pistol was not supposed to be shooting. I hope that like the ATF, the CA DOJ sees that only the frame is the gun, not the upper.

I think it would be kind of cool to have a full-sized gun, like a 1911 or Beretta 92, a small pocket rocket (like a Jetfire or R9), and then something like a Glock that enables you to swap uppers and shoot a multitude of cartridges! Or *gasp* how about slapping an Advantage Arms .22 conversion on it! :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Hypothetical California CCW Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Elmer
June 1, 2005, 10:49 PM
Well... it would probably depend on how good your shooting was......

Warren
June 1, 2005, 11:26 PM
It is good for four guns and on the permit it has both the serial number off the frame AND the caliber.

That sort of thing was not covered in my CCW class, and I cannot recall ever hearing anyone else mention it.

So if you get into a situation it would be as much of a problem as the prosecutor wanted it to be.

Skunkabilly
June 2, 2005, 05:16 PM
In OC one has their gat inspected, 3 guns are listed, by SN, caliber and maybe finish and barrel length. Even capacity. You aren't really supposed to deviate from what you had your gun inspected with.

Nina failed inspection because her SA trigger weight was below 4 lbs. If I put a factory trigger in there, had it inspected, then put the 3.5# trigger back in, that's probably a no-no.

El Rojo
June 2, 2005, 06:38 PM
They never looked at my guns when I had them put on there and two of them aren't even in my name. The interesting thing is that it does ask for the serial number, which on my Glock would read XXXXXXUS. Also on the permit it asks for caliber and it says .40. So if I switched to a .357 upper and then got in a shooting, I would have a matching serial number and a mismatched caliber. Could I claim they got the caliber wrong? Sure. Then they will match the serial number to a Glock 27 and not a Glock 33 (not to mention unless I get a new slide, it will say 27 on the slide even though the barrel is .357).

Really the question is what would the DA do in your area? Bust you for making a legal shoot for carrying a concealed weapon half on your permit? That probably won't become an issue, especially if you didn't illegally alter the firearm. If you want an answer, call your DA or issuing agency and find out.

jnojr
June 2, 2005, 07:09 PM
Kevlarman - Just move to the Kern County side of the border, and you're in like Flynn from what I hear.

Guns_and_Labs
June 2, 2005, 08:41 PM
I had a similar thought. I have a Kimber Gold Match .45 acp on my permit, and thought to swap out to a .45 Super or .460 Rowland, for a better do-it-all rig. I asked the range deputy -- not an authoritative source, but the best I had handy -- and he thought not. he mentioned the permit having sn and caliber.

Also, don't the Glock barrels also have matching serial numbers?

Kevlarman
June 2, 2005, 08:52 PM
Guns_and_Labs, yes, Glocks have the serial number on the frame, slide, and barrel.

jnojr, actually, I'm in Lancaster (Los Angeles County). What irks me is that I am nary 10 miles from Rosamond, a small unincorporated town located within Kern County.

Another hypothetical, could I rent an apartment in Kern, get some utility bills sent there, and then apply for CCW as a resident of Kern County? :evil:

El Rojo
June 2, 2005, 10:10 PM
Another hypothetical, could I rent an apartment in Kern, get some utility bills sent there, and then apply for CCW as a resident of Kern County? I guess you could, but be forwarned. The lady in charge of processing the applications and handing them out, her name is Dee. I walk around pin cushions around Dee. The Sergeant makes the final decision, but if you rub her wrong, she will get you. I went in there once and this guy was being a little too police and ole Dee turned around after he left and told one of the other ladies, "Lets run his background again." I remember when I applied I still had checks with my LA address on them and she said, "I will find out if you don't live there." I said no problem, I just got back from college, I live where I live.

Yeah that sucks to be so close to our border and yet on the other side of the wall. Why not just move the ten miles?

Kevlarman
June 2, 2005, 10:25 PM
Seriously, when I was going to school in Riverside I wasn't that far from the San Berdoo line either. :fire:

It wouild be nice to get a CCW, but moving to a whole 'nother county to exercise my right to self-defense seems like strectching it a bit. Bah!

Skunkabilly
June 4, 2005, 12:18 AM
Kev...with regards to moving no one can answer that for you except you...

FWIW when I got pulled over, I told the officer I was carrying my J-frame and if he wanted to see it, he said nah.

Got off with a warning.

Hope all is well, man.

thorn726
June 4, 2005, 09:18 PM
It wouild be nice to get a CCW, but moving to a whole 'nother county to exercise my right to self-defense seems like strectching it a bit. Bah!

Yeah!

the more people that stick it out the better chances it might eventually change

artherd
June 6, 2005, 03:02 AM
Another hypothetical, could I rent an apartment in Kern, get some utility bills sent there, and then apply for CCW as a resident of Kern County

As long as you change your PRIMARY RESIDENCE to Kern County, you are good to go!

Remenber! YOU ARE MOVING YOUR PRIME RESIDENCE! You can still of course legally retain ownership of any property you currently posess, including the house in LA county. They can't stop you from doing that.

Play by their rules, and use their system.

I don't think you should have any problems swaping barrels. Technically the Glock is still a .40cal on your registration documents, the build sheet at the factory, and your CCW permit. Even if you change the barrel to shoot other ammo, which is a perfectly legal act.

Bail Agent
June 7, 2005, 12:46 AM
Yes, a firearm on a permit in CA can have more than one caliber.

There are only three spaces for firearms on the current CCW in CA. It is a statewide form.

I have a G31 and G32 on my permit (along with my Kimber full size). Both are listed as 40/357. As long as the caliber is listed I would use it, if it is not listed you are carrrying a firearm that is not on your permit.

El Rojo
June 7, 2005, 01:12 PM
Good thinking, just go in and ask them if they can put a .40/.357 in the caliber section. There is plenty of space.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hypothetical California CCW Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!