Got Made

PDA

bamawrx
June 3, 2005, 04:47 PM
I just walked into my hair cut/dresser place and the hair cut guy asked if that was a gun under my shirt! I was wearing a Milt Sparks VMII with a nice short sleeve button down shirt tucked. I said it was and he said that he has never heard of anyone "holstering up" for a hair cut. I said "well you don't wait until you fixin to get into a wreck before you put your seat belt on do you?" We shared a good laugh.

I checked myself and to be honest I can't believe he picked up on the slight change in the belt line. I am sure the setup complies with the "ordinary observation" requirement, but I have started underestimating the public following many years of seeing that they are unobservant.

Naturally he was totally cool about it and to his credit he did know that I was a gun owner from previous conversations.

Overall I have to say my VMII still remains one of the best concealement options available. I was carrying my Wilson Combat CQB full size as an FYI. I am considering getting one of those "belly Band" things.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got Made" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sssteinkamp
June 3, 2005, 05:02 PM
You're right about the unobservant public. I stayed in the hospital with my wife after her C-section last week (Pictures (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/family_pages/album/2005_05_24.htm)) and I wore my USP and magazines the whole time. I even slept in my rig. Despite all the visitors and the nurses in and out, nobody ever noticed. At one point I was changing my shirt and a nurse came in unannounced. I'm standing there looking like Batman, and I may as well have been invisible...

Shane

P95Carry
June 3, 2005, 05:23 PM
I think the key issue might well have been ........ he did know that I was a gun owner from previous conversations. Plus also he may be a more observant type as well.

I think it is safe to assume that most folks will not notice - much at all - but worth remembering too that every so often there IS someone who can tell - and thus we still need to be careful as to how we present ourselves and our carry.

I make the assumption that anyone can ''tell'' and so safeguard my method to suit - at same time not getting in least paranoid about it, on basis that a subtle printing is hardly gonna upset the masses. :)

Flashpoint
June 3, 2005, 05:44 PM
I think it is safe to assume that most folks will not notice

and then there are people like, I dare say over half of THR members, that look for "gun prints". :evil:

dave3006
June 3, 2005, 05:51 PM
I would have to duct tape my Glock to my forehead to get "made" in **********. I wear my gun to:

Church
Parent teacher conferences
Daughter's Piano recitals
Work
Son's little league Baseball games
Every mall and store imaginable
My very, very anti-gun father-in-law's house (I like this one the most. Hee-Hee)
Disneyland

Everyone is clueless.

torpid
June 3, 2005, 06:07 PM
I would have to duct tape my Glock to my forehead to get "made" in **********... Everyone is clueless.

Well, to cut them some slack, CCW isn't exactly commonly available to most Californians, so as a fellow Cali guy, you assume it's mostly lawbreakers or elite/fortunate few that are carrying here- so if you look on the up-and-up, it's "probably a cellphone under there".

(And it probably is.)

50 Freak
June 3, 2005, 06:12 PM
Only time I ever got made in Cali was when I met a GlockTalk member to do a trade. Didn't help me that it was a 102 and I was wearing a leather jacket.

But yep, here in Cali, no one expects that you are carrying. Only "no loaded guns allowed" signs are at gun stores. Everywhere else, it's free carry.

torpid
June 3, 2005, 06:16 PM
Everywhere else, it's free carry.

ALMOST everywhere else...

Standing Wolf
June 3, 2005, 10:33 PM
One of the many things I like about Colorado is open carry: it tends rather to simplify the entire concealment problem.

Andrew Rothman
June 3, 2005, 10:49 PM
I just walked into my hair cut/dresser place and the hair cut guy asked if that was a gun under my shirt!

Well, he is a hairdresser, after all*. Having superior aesthetic senses, he immediately noted that your shirt wasn't draping as smoothly as it might.

* Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Matt
(Token straight guy - Twin Cities Pink Pistols)

R.H. Lee
June 3, 2005, 10:54 PM
Having no {ahem} 'official permission' in the form of a CCW, I'm absolutely paranoid about being made, so I'm always vewy vewy careful. :)

38SnubFan
June 4, 2005, 06:40 AM
3 things come to mind:

1. Hairstyler is very observant!

2. Hairstyler CCWs as well (legally, for lawful purpose).

3. Hairstyler has criminal history, and at one time messed with the wrong person. (That's a BIG maybe, with no offense made to your hairstylist, but hey, there are people I see every day and think nothing of, just to one day see them led out in handcuffs.)

As for my gun printing, I try to avoid it at all costs, even being careful as to how I bend/reach/stretch. It's become pretty natural, but once in a while I still print without realizing it until afterwards. Even then, I don't worry about it too much.

I've gotten "the look" once or twice by strangers who THINK I might have a gun on my person. I just smile at them politely, they smile back at me, and everyone goes on their merry way! :)

Cops are pretty decent around here: They're more likely to respond to a "man with a gun call" only when the caller/witness can actually DESCRIBE the firearm. If there's no "brandishing," the most they may do is ask for ID, ask if I'm armed, and if I have a permit for the gun.

Acutally had a cop ask me if I had a gun on me (still new to CCW and printing pretty bad). Showed him the permit, he nodded, asked what I was carrying (my snubbie at the time), and offered some CCW pointers on a better way to conceal (clothing, holsters, etc.). Even asked me how often I practice (2-3 times per week at that time until I became proficient), and if I carry full-time. I advised him it's with me unless I'm at work (unarmed security) or where it's illegal to do so. He applauded me for the "practice makes perfect" attitude as well as agreed that it's stupid for someone to "have the permit and not use it". :)

Sorry to go off topic at the end there!

-38SnubFan

seed
June 4, 2005, 07:03 AM
Having no {ahem} 'official permission' in the form of a CCW, I'm absolutely paranoid about being made, so I'm always vewy vewy careful.

I heard that! I wonder if I am actually shortening my life span expectancy from the stress of worrying about it. Kind of ironic.

only1asterisk
June 4, 2005, 07:10 AM
I've never really been concerned that much (maybe in the very beginning a bit, but certainly not for some years). People either donít notice a little bulge or donít care. Either way, I couldnít care less.

David

kfranz
June 4, 2005, 07:22 AM
another thing to consider is that just because folks don't comment doesn't mean they are not observant....

Mannlicher
June 4, 2005, 07:24 AM
Having no {ahem} 'official permission' in the form of a CCW, I'm absolutely paranoid about being made, so I'm always vewy vewy careful.

Riley,
The first thirty years I carried daily in Florida, there was no CCW law. I was never once 'made'. One does tend to be cautious, and careful :)

Zach S
June 4, 2005, 08:50 AM
and then there are people like, I dare say over half of THR members, that look for "gun prints". Most of which probably wouldn't say anything, other than "Hi." with a "Hehe, I KNOW!" look on their face.

MikeIsaj
June 4, 2005, 10:38 AM
My experience has been that most people just aren't that observant of their surroundings. Add to that, human nature is to look at someone from the waist up. People generally tend to focus on the face and everything else is in peripheral vision, which fades out below the waist line. That and living in a a free state that recognises my 2d amendment right to bear arms, makes me not worry so much about printing and flashing. If it isn't obvious almost to the point of "brandishing" people just don't notice.

I actually dropped a weapon, in a hospital elevator. It was in an IWB holster and worked its way out. Two hospital staffers were in the elevator with me and both saw it. I looked at them, said "oops!" and picked it up and re-holstered. I expected a visit from security or Philly PD but that never happened. I visited security on my way out to comment that they may want to train their people to report such things. I also got rid of that holster.

Tijeras_Slim
June 4, 2005, 10:42 AM
he said that he has never heard of anyone "holstering up" for a hair cut.

Get him a copy of High Plains Drifter! :)

ARperson
June 4, 2005, 11:00 AM
2. Hairstyler CCWs as well (legally, for lawful purpose).

I agree with .38SnubFan, when I got my CCW, I started noticing just how many people were carrying. Never even noticed before.

Half the people I work are surprised to find out you can carry in Indiana.
It is hilarious to hear the repeat all the liberal drivel that you hear coming from Minnesota and Ohio when they were working on their CCW laws. I love telling them that they have most likely been standing right next to someone in the customer checkout lane that was CCW at least a couple a times a year for their whole life in Indiana. I think most of them see a dimple in a shirt and think cell phone or pager. When you have a CCW, well, we all know what your first thought is.

Anyway, point is, fellow CCWs will notice 1000 times more than sheeple.

Flyboy
June 4, 2005, 11:41 AM
Add to that, human nature is to look at someone from the waist up. People generally tend to focus on the face...
I know a lot of women who'd argue this... :evil:

Bartholomew Roberts
June 4, 2005, 12:37 PM
You should ask him how he made you so you know what to correct.

Bellybands do away with the kydex clips on the VM2 (which can sometimes be a giveaway) but the ones I have tried aren't very good at tucking the butt of the gun into your side like the VM2, so they actually print worse.

I normally carry a Browning Hi-Power in a VM2. Using a Direct Action belly band and a Glock 26, the printing is much more obvious even with the smaller gun. The upside is it is easier to access the gun as well as keep a presentable looking tuck on your shirt. The kydex clips on the VM2 don't hold a lot of shirttail and make a professional looking appearance a bit of a pain to maintain all day.

Marshall
June 4, 2005, 12:48 PM
Then again maybe the hairdresser staring at your crotch. :uhoh:

NHBB
June 4, 2005, 01:05 PM
lol @ marshall :D

CajunBass
June 4, 2005, 01:32 PM
I don't know if anyone has ever "made" me or not. No one has ever said anything if they did. I think most people don't give a hoot, or they assume you're some kind of cop. As close as I live to D.C., that might be as much it as anything.

Sir Aardvark
June 4, 2005, 04:27 PM
Edit: Probable inappropriate post

iamhistory
June 4, 2005, 04:27 PM
I just walked into my hair cut/dresser place and the hair cut guy asked if that was a gun under my shirt! I was wearing a Milt Sparks VMII with a nice short sleeve button down shirt tucked. I said it was and he said that he has never heard of anyone "holstering up" for a hair cut. I said "well you don't wait until you fixin to get into a wreck before you put your seat belt on do you?" We shared a good laugh

Sounds to me like he is one of the more observant people out there as other posts have suggested.....kind of like most of us here.

If that were to happen at my barber shop he and his son would have asked to see it and pulled out there own firearms for show and tell......they are VERY pro-gun and conservative. They give a nice haircut and for $5.50 the conversation and entertainment factor is unbeatable.

This was an interesting post to me b/c I too carry a VMII (SA 1911) and sometimes use the tuckables.

Lord Bodak
June 4, 2005, 04:42 PM
You might find this (http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WPN%2FMGArticle%2FWPN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031782990449&path=) interesting in light of your barber's comment.

mutt
June 4, 2005, 05:53 PM
Probably I carried since I was 18. 67 now. Only in the last 10 years or so I can carry with a permit The early years no one seemed to pay much attention . But with the states all going or trying to so called legal carry , which is ok I guess, I do, People seem to be more aware ...........MUTT

vesmcd
June 4, 2005, 10:07 PM
About 12 years ago I was carrying a .25auto in a cheap IWB holster. As I was leaving a large chain drug store it fell out right in front of the store manager. As he was crawling over the counter to safety, I picked it up and said "I gotta get a better holster" . Calmly walked out the door and beat feet for my car parked around the corner. For about a month I expected to see local LE at my front door but nothing came of it. Needless to say, I went to a different drug store for a while, and got a better holster.

Ironman
June 5, 2005, 10:14 PM
One time while I was at work I noticed a man paying for his item with his wallet yet he had a fanny pack on. The pack was drawing alot of weight and he pulled the wallet from his back pocket. As he was walking out I said "what piece are you carrying" lolol he looked as if he'd seen a ghost. He mumbled "what do you mean" with a pause, then "a SA 1911 fullsize" to which I responed with that was the 1st 1911 I ever bought and how much I loved it and he went on his way to his family that was walking out. It was quite amusing.

BTW I told him the wallet gave it away.

Lone_Gunman
June 5, 2005, 11:56 PM
Maybe some of you guys are "getting made" a lot more often than you think, and people just don't say anything?

psyopspec
June 6, 2005, 02:19 AM
My barber is one of the few people in my community who knows I carry, too. It started one day when I commented on all the gun rags on his end table and led to him broaching the topic of CCW first. For over a year now, his is a place where I can go in and put my cover garment on the coat rack and open carry fairly relaxed. More than once we've brought in new acquisitions to show eachother.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got Made" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!