Missouri and Illinois on June 11th

PDA

Gifted
June 4, 2005, 01:42 AM
Being interested in this, I'm figuring on trying it in about a week, on Saturday. On suggestion from here, I'm looking at Reifsnider, as it seems to be more friendly to this sort of thing. If anyone has a better idea, post it. I have a friend on another board that's looking to come, so I'll be trying to coordinate.

Anyway, bring your guns, ammo, and something to eat. Perhaps making this a potluck to help with those that are coming far? I'm looking at the location, and figuring we can get people from east-central Missouri and west-southern Illinois here, at the least.

If you enjoyed reading about "Missouri and Illinois on June 11th" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KaceCoyote
June 4, 2005, 01:58 AM
Assuming I dont have work, consider me there.

Gifted
June 5, 2005, 11:48 PM
Where's a good place to meet up? Hopefully the potluck part will work out part way, so there will be food. We just need a place to serve it, and to meet to go to the shooting area.

KaceCoyote
June 6, 2005, 01:56 AM
not sure, lets consult with Mongo the mutterer. He may have ideas.

kaboom
June 6, 2005, 02:41 PM
Yo gifted It's me.
Wondering what sort of weaps people will be bringing?
I plan on my Daewoos and my DSA SA-58 FAL

Don Gwinn
June 6, 2005, 04:16 PM
Might help people if you let them know:

What "this" is.

What "it" is.

What and where "Reifsneider" is.

Just a thought. ;)

I personally have to work on Saturday.

bogie
June 6, 2005, 04:57 PM
Reif always struck me as being a good place to get mugged for my toys... It's an unregulated range in a state park-kinda-place, and gets everything from "nice" people to folks who wear their pants around their ankles...

If there aren't too many folks, I'll be happy to welcome you as guests to the St. Louis Benchrest Rifle Club, which is near Wright City.

Gifted
June 6, 2005, 05:10 PM
Well, we have less than half a dozen right now. No one from Zion's Camp is responding, and the one guy from the WT is here, so this looks like it.

Gifted
June 7, 2005, 11:53 PM
I'm thinking that with the small group here the gun club would work. I've got a brother and a friend coming, but that's about it. So...

St. Louis Bench Rest Club? Will half a dozen work? Will they let us use my bowling pins? Etc. etc.

Saturday June 11th.

10 or 11 AM?

Do we meet somewhere, or do we go straight to the club?

How many confirmed people do we have?

KaceCoyote
June 8, 2005, 12:26 AM
A benchrest club? I somehow doubt my AK and Mosin Nagants will just, blend in..

I second Reif as a place to shoot, we can have ourselves a campfire. BBQ some if we care too, its hunting OK so if ya'll wanna go bag BBQ for yourselves feel free.

kaboom
June 8, 2005, 10:20 AM
I can go to either place but will need directions. It's Wednesday and we really need to start making decisions, so far we havent even picked a city.

Bogie needs to let us know if racking off several hundred rounds at various and sundry targets ( I plan on bringing cheap stuffed animals from Wal-Mart lol ) will be "OK" at his club and will we be able to spend as much time as we like there or is there a "time slot" rule there on the weekends? Time is short.

kaboom
June 8, 2005, 11:42 AM
Benchrest Rifle Club of St Louis:
http://www.wheretoshoot.org/wts_results.asp?CoreId=A6UJ9A000SSX&Option=R

KaceCoyote
June 8, 2005, 12:37 PM
zactly. Can I blast at golfballs and tennisballs with my AK or am I gonna be restricted to paper only? Is the bench club free?

Gifted
June 8, 2005, 02:51 PM
Come to think of it, with several of us well armed, I don't think getting mugged for our hardware would be a problem if it were to be possible. We need to decide though, will the club let us bring various targets, or will it be paper only there?

KaceCoyote
June 8, 2005, 11:29 PM
I'm headed to Reifschnider(sp) sat so you guys comin or what?

Gifted
June 9, 2005, 12:10 AM
Is there a particular place at the park to meet at? I have two confirmed besides me coming. Plus Kaboom and you, Kace, that's five.

We'll see what my messages on LJ bring up, but it looks like a small crowd this time around.

KaceCoyote
June 9, 2005, 12:35 AM
Theres the small campground..space just past the shooting range?

Gifted
June 9, 2005, 01:15 AM
So, we are meeting at eleven at the last camp area near the lake. Bring a dish, drinks are being provided, unless you're diabetic or something where tea and soda won't work. :D Kace says he'll be in a white Jeep, I'll be in a white Impala with NM plates.

Some things I've been told to consider:
Avoid the New melle gunshop.

Don't speed, no matter what in New Melle. There are only a few cops but they LIVE to bust city folk. Outside Newmelle is clean though.

There is a small watercrossing, your average car/van yadda yadda can get across just fine. if your in a sportscar things can get interesting however.
Kace said to keep my Impala to the left, and:
Its a slick rock bottom so if ya get stuck it wont be anything serious, only seen one car get stuck there so no worries.

And the bathrooms are suicide. no gun can protect ya in there, its quite freightening. :uhoh:

Did I miss anything?

Gifted
June 9, 2005, 02:02 AM
BTW, on my list
M1 carbine
MP-153(bring 12 ga ammo, it'll eat anything, magnum or no)
Llama .45
Star, 9mm
bowling pins

What else will we see there?

kaboom
June 9, 2005, 02:22 AM
White Ford Taurus.
Obviously I've never been there, can someone who has been there Email me a map to this meeting place from the entrance.
I'll be taking 47 up into Warrenton from 44. Looks like I take M over to North Fork Farm Road? Then what?

kaboom
June 9, 2005, 04:05 PM
I'm hoping to have enough time to make a cake for desert, dont know what else I'll bring in the way of food yet.

kaboom
June 9, 2005, 10:23 PM
also, what about rain? Are we goin anyway if it rains?

Mongo the Mutterer
June 9, 2005, 10:27 PM
Sounds like you guys got it goin on.

Sorry I can't make it. My baby and I are going to CCW class. All Day.

Hit a 10 ring for me.

Gifted
June 10, 2005, 12:44 AM
Hey, CCW class is good, and we'll be doing another one of these later in the summer. So, we'll be planning that one well in advance, so it'll be easier to get to.

kaboom
June 10, 2005, 05:48 AM
Folks let me repeat my request for directions once I'm at the park gate.
If you cant bother, then I wont bother coming up there.

Red Tornado
June 10, 2005, 01:02 PM
Wow, finally something in Missouri! Unfortunately, it's the weekend of my anniversary and I'll be with my wife in Memphis.

Anyway, you guys have a blast and hopefully I'll be able to make it up for one later this summer.
RT

kaboom
June 10, 2005, 01:58 PM
less than 24hours away and I still dont know where to go, so I'll probly miss it too.

bogie
June 10, 2005, 02:03 PM
Basically, you go to Warrenton, go south to the IGA, then hang an east. Been years since I was there tho - the state park folks may have a map on their web site.

I've got a benchrest match at STLBRRC, or I'd be there.

Gifted
June 10, 2005, 03:26 PM
Call me, kaboom, if all else fails; I'm looking up directions tonight. Directions should be pretty straight forward. As I understand it there's only the one road on the park, so just follow it down to the lake. Keep an eye out for my car.

kaboom
June 10, 2005, 06:48 PM
Dont have a cell phone, so I gotta know where I'm goin first lol.
Getting conflicting map info now. Yahoo maps says I can take Pinckney rd down to Reis Sneider Park road, but MS Streets and Trips says I have to take North Fork farm rd.

Gifted
June 11, 2005, 12:33 AM
Okay, I'm leaving here about nine, so I should be there a bit early. We'l build a fire; bring a hot dog stick, and your favorite topping.

From a conservation website:
Reifsnider state forest is "2 mi east of Warrenton on Route M, then 3 mi south on Schuetzen Ground Rd" By then we should be seeing signs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/cgi-bin/atlas/search.cgi?cgistate=1&area=5805

Hope to see you all there.

kaboom
June 11, 2005, 12:43 AM
I'll be leaving here about 9:00 too, should get there a touch before 11:00

KaceCoyote
June 11, 2005, 04:34 AM
I'm coming, again. Leaving around 9, should be there when I get there.

Mongo the Mutterer
June 11, 2005, 09:01 AM
Hey Kaboom,

I just checked in to see how you all were doing. You don't need directions, there is only one road.

Oops, sorry. looks like you got an answer...

kaboom
June 11, 2005, 09:32 PM
------RAIN RAIN GO AWAY---------

Back now, and everyone in OUR party was ok other than Kace who got shwacked in the back of the head with a flying Daewoo brassie lolol
Good fun, need to do it again once I can afford some more ammo lol

Gifted
June 12, 2005, 12:10 AM
Much fun, even with the wetness.

We'll be doing it again in a month or so. Will that be enough time?

kaboom
June 12, 2005, 01:14 AM
probly not but I might be able to work out something more interesting ;-)

GaryM
June 12, 2005, 11:12 AM
Damn, I wished I had seen this yesterday.
I am a member at benchrest and have shot about a bazillion times at reifschneider. I could have answered any questions about the places you had. I know Scott (the head cheese) at benchrest wouldn't allow anyone to shoot at anything except paper and only on the appropriate frame, not only that the place is so busy with matches now that it would be hard to find an open range. Reifschnieder allows a lot more. Or should I say you would be far less likely to get busted there. Years ago I did see a cew guys hauled off in cuffs for being stupid there but that was only once in the many years I have been going out there.
Hope you all had fun, maybe next time I will have the opportunity to join in.

BTW, I am am member of a group called the "Missouri Defensive Carbine Club" (MoDCC) we have monthly shoots in central missouri and they are open to all comers. check out the info at this site for info. www.cmmginc.com, we also have a very active presence at www.ar15.com on the missouri hometown forum. The only real bitch is that it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from St. Charles where I am from. Or you can email me for more info....

kaboom
June 12, 2005, 01:09 PM
lol an MoDCC trip was what I was hoping to set up lol. I believe full auto weapons can be rented there, would be a lot of fun I'm thinkin :-)

kaboom
June 12, 2005, 01:23 PM
does anyone who was at our shoot object to me passing around/posting the videos?
Let me know publicly here, or privatly at:

Email --> kaptor2@yahoo.com
Yahoo messenger --> kaptor2

KaceCoyote
June 12, 2005, 03:11 PM
Post away. You can see my favorite person in the whole world brass me. :(

kaboom
June 12, 2005, 05:04 PM
you "brassed" yourself ? I didnt think that was possible! :evil: LOL
I'll wait and see what Gifted has to say.

I dont have a way of posting the videos, but I can Email them to those that want them if thier accounts can handle it.

KaceCoyote
June 12, 2005, 05:42 PM
ha ha...go ahead and throw up the photos atleast, photobucket.com can help ya there.

kaboom
June 12, 2005, 05:44 PM
I'll try and get them up tonight, pics arnt a problem for me, just files.
Still cleaning the Daewoos lol

KaceCoyote
June 12, 2005, 06:01 PM
I feel your pain. I dunno if I was drunk or what but I folded both my cleaning rods over the other night. :( waiting for my boresnake to come.

kaboom
June 12, 2005, 06:11 PM
OUCH! one of mine ( for brushes ) is a little bent but I never kinked one. I cleaned the FAL last night but then was too tired, I just swabbed the Woos and went to bed.

KaceCoyote
June 12, 2005, 06:33 PM
Try a boresnake, nothing seems to clean better. Soak its tail in solvent, run it through 2-3 times..let the tail dry...swab it through 1-2 times, run a last pull through with some lube and walla...clean in about 5 minutes. They also fit in a pocket.

Gifted
June 12, 2005, 07:32 PM
Well, I'm currently looking for info, to see what exactly went wrong with the gas tube. I have a couple of cracks in it, I'll need to take it to a gunsmith, I'm sure.

Otherwise, great fun. A pity on the rain, but we still had fun.

You can e-mail me the movies, Kaboom, I can't host them, but I'd like to see them.

kaboom
June 12, 2005, 10:02 PM
I'll do that now, and try and get the pics up in a while.

The bores on the Daewoos were both originaly smooth no rifleing visible at all from non cleaning when I got them. Took a lot to clean them up and I think the process is continuing as I wear down a brass brush each time I clean them!! A new brush will just barely go through, I need to find an extremely strong bore cleaner I think. I think the ammo is a bit dirty too judging by the gas plug.

KaceCoyote
June 12, 2005, 11:08 PM
You need some brake cleaner methinks...

kaboom
June 12, 2005, 11:34 PM
regular ole automotive brake cleaner? Do I need to let it soak for a while or what? ( will probly have to plug the gas port to do that )

KaceCoyote
June 13, 2005, 12:08 AM
Strip the weapon of the plastic. use a rag to plug the end, spray the barrel.

Brake pads are essentially, carbon pads. That black crap, is pretty much mostly carbon. Spray some, let it rest..spray some, let it rest. Do this outside, lotta bad fumes.

kaboom
June 13, 2005, 12:18 AM
cool thanks :D

kaboom
June 13, 2005, 12:32 AM
what about chromed barrels? I believe the Woos are chromed.
And you gotta admit publicly, that though the Daewoos may be the ugliest rifles made, they still rocked the house and you loved shooting them :neener:

Gifted
June 13, 2005, 12:51 AM
Chrome is generally used because chemically, it's pretty much inert. Things don't stick to it, you need more than generic cleaners(brake cleaner included, I'd imagine) to harm it, and it's hard enough that it doesn't scratch easily and wears well.

Brake cleaner is made to be used on steel. I'd imagine it'd be safe for chrome.

KaceCoyote
June 13, 2005, 07:14 AM
I've got a chromed barrel, but thats never stopped me. Rifle's ok with it, if your worried you can use Carb cleaner.

Carb cleaner is far less powerful, but it helped me turn my smoothbore Mosin Nagant single pellet shotguns into rifles again.

kaboom
June 13, 2005, 12:09 PM
I'll try the carb cleaner first, then the brake cleaner if that doesnt work. I'll pick up both and some more brushes next time I get to town.
Thanks guys :-)

bogie
June 13, 2005, 05:26 PM
Er... Tell me about the barrel here. What have you used to clean it so far? What kind of solvent, etc.?

kaboom
June 13, 2005, 06:06 PM
Over several cleanings nearly a whole bottle of Hoppes #9 and then Bore Scrubber ( not Gunscrubber ) when the Hoppes didnt seem to be doing the trick. They got them down to where rifling is showing but looking in the muzzle end you can tell there is still some grunge between the rifling, and a brand new .22 brass brush is almost tight enough in the bore to kink the rod! My calipers show over a 1/16 reduction of diameter on a brand new brass brush after one cleaning, I dont believe the bore should be THAT tight.

kaboom
June 14, 2005, 02:56 PM
Some pics IF they show:
The cake that I made at 4:00AM the night before the shoot lol
http://publish.hometown.aol.com/boomer0400/images/4am_cake.jpg

A jammed AK! Have a look you might not see one again for a long time
http://publish.hometown.aol.com/boomer0400/images/img_1385.jpg

the bowling pins never stood much of a chance lol
http://publish.hometown.aol.com/boomer0400/images/img_1386.jpg
http://publish.hometown.aol.com/boomer0400/images/img_1387.jpg

Kace hacked the 7.62 lead out
http://publish.hometown.aol.com/boomer0400/images/img_1388.jpg

AK vs 7.62 round of the FAL
http://publish.hometown.aol.com/boomer0400/images/img_1389.jpg

KaceCoyote
June 14, 2005, 04:03 PM
they're -both- 7.62!

kaboom
June 14, 2005, 04:27 PM
yes 7.62 of the AK and 7.62 of the FAL lol

KaceCoyote
June 14, 2005, 05:30 PM
BTW Kaboom I just got the Otis cleaning kit, may be the truck. Progressive brush sizes and the rod cant be broke.

kaboom
June 14, 2005, 08:03 PM
"can't"? send me one, I'll change your mind lolol

I got Gunscrubber, brake cleaner and carb cleaner today, I'll spray them all into a jar, mix them up, pour down the barrel of one of the Daewoos and plug the end with an M-80 and light it. THAT should work LOLOL.
Got 3 more bristle brushes too, but I'll use an older brush first after a dose of Gunscrubber.

KaceCoyote
June 14, 2005, 09:15 PM
goodluck!

kaboom
June 14, 2005, 10:19 PM
total failure, none of them made any differance. I wonder if the Woos could just have a realy tight bore? A new brush compared to a used one ( not heavily used or worn out, just used ) shows nearly a 1/16th of an inch differance in diameter!

KaceCoyote
June 14, 2005, 10:27 PM
try using a lightstick to get a better view?

Gifted
June 15, 2005, 02:05 AM
Got movies for you. Go to the page, and at the bottom will be the links to the movies.

Key things: It's my younger brother's computer, and it's a 486 on a 128K connection, so bare with it. But, it's up.

Pics from the range trip (http://24.217.119.61/)

kaboom
June 15, 2005, 02:21 AM
cool :-)

kaboom
June 15, 2005, 03:30 AM
ok, some VERY carefull scraping inside the bore ( between the lands down in the grooves ) of my back-up Daewoo with some jewelers files has pretty much confirmed that there is a VERY hard layer of something, most likely carbon, lining the bore. I was able to gouge a pair of shallow troughs with the end of the file in the top and bottom of the bore. The trick is finding the chemistry to dissolve it out.

kaboom
June 15, 2005, 02:42 PM
After some Googling last night "Ed's Red" seems to be the ticket for ridding carbon. I have assembled the componants and will try and mix some up tonight.

KaceCoyote
June 15, 2005, 03:47 PM
Goodluck Kaboom!

Gifted
June 17, 2005, 01:38 AM
New link that will be working tomorrow.

http://home.daskunkee.net

KaceCoyote
June 17, 2005, 02:14 AM
link to what?

kaboom
June 17, 2005, 04:51 AM
the Eds Red IS working, VERY slowwwwwly. Have to keep the bore soaked and occasionaly scratch it with the brass brush, push a patch and then drench it with another wet patch and let it set some more. Wish I knew which ingrediant has the biggest affect on the carbon so I could use it full strength.

If you enjoyed reading about "Missouri and Illinois on June 11th" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!