Go armed to New Years Eve Party?

PDA

Tady45
December 31, 2002, 07:41 PM
With possible terrorism acts looming rather large this evening, as well as the normally drunk and rude people who will be out and about, will any of you guys carry tonight as opposed to a normal night out, when you would not? Would anyone detain say 5 Arabic looking types (at gunpoint) who are acting suspicious? Or, is it more dangerous to carry on a night like tonight? Cops may be a bit hyped themselves, and a buldge, or a print of a hangun may cause all hell to break loose...Hypothetical questions to be sure yet, I live in the PRK and have never had the privilege to develope a carry or not carry plan of action.

Larry

If you enjoyed reading about "Go armed to New Years Eve Party?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
December 31, 2002, 07:54 PM
Being resident of CA myself, I tend not to carry on nights like New Year's Eve simply because of all the sobriety check points you might run into & having an officer finding you carrying a concealed weapon :impaled:
Just go out, have a good time & be smart about where & what you do ;) Happy New YEar :cool:

Soap
December 31, 2002, 07:57 PM
I'll be carrying a full size 1911, 2 spare mags, Polkowski/Kasper Companion, and a 21" ASP tonight. No drinking of course. Police do not worry me in the slightest bit. The chance of an officer actually patting me down Terry Doctrine style is slim to none. Just remember to keep your wallet on your console while driving so you don't reach towards your piece.

tomkatz
December 31, 2002, 08:09 PM
I'm always armed, except at work :( as a school security guard I can't carry there.....tom

spacemanspiff
December 31, 2002, 08:16 PM
i'm going to a Queensryche concert tonight, and might only have a pocket knife on me, provided i remember to put it in my shoe before i go into the venue.

which brings me to a short rant about concert venues. we have two facilities up here where bands come to play: sullivan arena or egan convention center. over the years for many different concerts from different genres have resulted in many different types of security enforced.
some pat you down fully, use metal detecting wands, and cop plenty of feels.
next concert you go to, same security staff just makes you lift your shirt to see if you have anything underneath. dont make you turn around, just lift to see your tummy and thats it.
next concert they will confiscate all cigarettes and lighters.
next one they dont let anyone take anything other than a wallet in, all purses must be checked in and only be released upon exiting the building.

there is no continuity at all, and they are the same security personnel, working for the same company every time.
one concert i was a guard found some kids toking up. does he kick them out? no, he takes their weed and pipe and goes his merry way. but what happened to the kids who the guards pulled out for crowd surfing? they got their butts kicked out the back door.

okay, i'm done ranting for the year. :fire:

Dave R
December 31, 2002, 08:17 PM
"Never leave home without it"

JPM70535
December 31, 2002, 08:22 PM
When I was still celebrating New Years and going to parties, I always went armed LEO status. Since then The urge to party has waned , but if it should return, going unarmed would be wholly unnatural.

El Rojo
December 31, 2002, 08:23 PM
Of course. Who wouldn't carry on New Years? I plan on sticking the 12 gauge and M1 Carbine in the trunk too for the drive over to Bakersfield. Never can be too ready.

blades67
December 31, 2002, 08:42 PM
It wouldn't be a "normal" night out if I wasn't armed.

PATH
December 31, 2002, 09:52 PM
If I am going to be "drinking" then the pistol stays home!

4v50 Gary
December 31, 2002, 09:58 PM
Path puts it nicely. Guns & alcohol don't mix.

If you're that worried about violence, don't go out. Stay indoors with friends and family.

Me, I'm putting on the vest, the steel pot and crawling beneath my car which had sandbags all over the top. ;)

nemesis
December 31, 2002, 10:17 PM
I'm not partying or drinking tonight but I am heading over to my Church at 10:30 for New Year Services. It's a fair drive to get there and I suppose many of the locals will be shouting "Viva Mexico" and I know for certain that you will be able to hear gunfire anywhere you may be for most of the night.

I'm wearing a sport jacket over my jeans and good boots and wearing my best Resistol hat but my Para C7.45 will be on my right hip and a spare mag at 11 o/clock.

"The Stranger there among them had a Big Iron on his hip".

Betty
December 31, 2002, 10:34 PM
I always carry and I don't drink. Won't be going out tonight - I'll be here with Oleg watching TFL close it's doors. :(

AZTOY
December 31, 2002, 10:37 PM
I 'm drinking so no GUNS.

sm
December 31, 2002, 10:39 PM
Don't Drink, never went out NewYears when I did. Can't carry where alcohol served, can't in churches. I'm where I need to be--CCW keeping me co.

Yeah, runt...me too:(

Hkmp5sd
December 31, 2002, 10:47 PM
Carrying, Yes. Drinking, No.

triggertime
December 31, 2002, 10:48 PM
I have decided to stay home and keep watch. Something definately has me feeling a little uneasy this year.

emann
January 1, 2003, 03:47 AM
My gun can stay loaded in my glovebox legally and that is where it spent most of the night tonight.

JeepDriver
January 1, 2003, 01:14 PM
Went armed with a 12 pack of Killians, and nothing else

mzenzer
January 1, 2003, 01:49 PM
I carried just like any other night. Didn't drink or hang out in a bar so why shouldn't I.

I don't think cops would treat someone carrying legally on new years eve differently then on any other night, unless you were doing something that is obviously against the carry rules.

Mike Irwin
January 1, 2003, 04:15 PM
Well, I rejected both invitations I had in favor of staying home, watching The Twilight Zone marathon on the SciFi channel, and saying good by to TFL.

If, however, I did go to a party, I would have carried.

Given that I drink hardly at all, and never if I'm out on a big "party night," I don't consider it to be an issue.

Rangerover
January 1, 2003, 04:22 PM
I gave up drinking completely two years ago. Far and away the best decision I have ever made in my life.

Consequently, the mixture of alcohol and firearms is no longer an issue for me personally.

Ala Dan
January 1, 2003, 07:28 PM
your CCW license is NULL and VOID where alcoholic beverages are sold.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

sixgun_symphony
January 1, 2003, 09:45 PM
Keep a can of pepper spray and a blackjack or asp baton for the brawling drunks.

Carry a Detective Special, Walther PPK, or other small gun for discreet CCW on New Years. Have a drink, but don't get drunk. Have fun.

Weimadog
January 2, 2003, 01:23 AM
Twin Glock model 29s in a custom shoulder holster rig, with six 15 round G20 mags. KaBar combat knife in the small of back, Six D cell mag light, with the last two batteries near the screw cap replaced with lead ingots. These conceal very well under the black Royal Robbins Tactical vest.

This would have been a good setup if I had gone out on New Years.

I stayed home with my wife and my five day old son. It was quiet most of the time, with the noisy moments more than I can handle.

Hearing protection was the only shooting equipment I used.

Weimadog

MLH
January 2, 2003, 01:27 PM
Congrats on new son.:D Hope you using tactical diapers on him. :what:

bogie
January 2, 2003, 02:02 PM
Weimadog is down the street from me...

I went to a friend's place, where we watched Ice Age on a wide screen. Drank a total of four beers (two Tsing Taos with dinner at a chinese place - nice and spicy - and two Mich Ultra Pseudobeers during the movie), and I got in the van (I figured that more scrap metal was better) and putted home by 11:20 to beat the idjits.

Heard what sounded like a lot of fireworks, but I didn't hear gunfire like I had in the past. Might have been some thunder in there too - Saw what looked like some heat lightning in the distance. On previous new years, I've heard AK cyclic, Mac 9/11 cyclic, and M-16 cyclic, along with what I think may be some SKS and handgun stuff, just from the sound and number of rounds fired at once. Weima is a little further into the city tho, and closer to the top of a small ridge, so they may have had a better listening point...

Did have a car park in the middle of the intersection in front of my building at about 12:05... When I first saw it, vehicle appeared empty. After about five minutes, I went outside to take a look - see if everyone was okay.

Wore a WWII era steel pot and liner (had put Band of Brothers (Bastogne) on my DVD player) to investigate.

While I was walking from my window through my living room to the front door, they'd either realized that sitting there wasn't a good idea, or gone back to the car, or something, because it wasn't there when I got back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Go armed to New Years Eve Party?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!