Non-concentric shotgun choketube

PDA

Fumbler
June 9, 2005, 01:27 AM
I have an opportunity to get a used Mossberg 500 barrel that is in the white and has been shortened to 18.25" (I measured it) and was threaded for Truchoke choke tubes. It hasn't seen use since being shortened, cut, stripped of blueing, and threaded.
Upon examining the muzzle, I noticed that the wall thickness is not consistent around the choke tube.
In the thinnest spot, it is almost half of the thickness of the thickest spot.
Looking down the bore from chamber end I cannot tell that the choke tube is not concentric (but I cannot also say that it is perfectly concentric too).

How much of an affect on shooting to point of aim will this have?
What other effects might there be?
The bore itself looks good, there's a little lead in it. It has no bead or sight. Would this be worth $50 or should I pass?

If you enjoyed reading about "Non-concentric shotgun choketube" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
June 9, 2005, 07:48 AM
If it is bored crooked it will shoot crooked, but you can have a crooked choke tube made that will correct it for additional costs.

On a M500, I would pass if there was any doubt. $50 for a barrel to go on a $100 gun that might not shoot straight and still needs a finish applied seems high to me.

only1asterisk
June 9, 2005, 07:49 AM
I agree with HSMITH 100%.

David

Fumbler
June 9, 2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'm gonna pass it up.

foghornl
June 9, 2005, 10:40 AM
You can order a 20" vent rib blued barrel with a complete set of choke tubes direct from Mossberg for $148*** + tax & shipping...may find locally for less than that. Or the 18-1/2" plain beaded cylinder bore blued for $74***

I would pass on a barrel that needs that much work...blueing plus custom choke tubes ? ? eeeek ####

***MSRP from website

www.Mossberg.com

####I have sometimes, and not without a certain amount of truth, been refered to as "A Lazy Galoot".

Fumbler
June 9, 2005, 11:13 AM
Well it wouldnt have beed much work. It had chokes installed, I was gonna get factory Mossberg GR sights anyway, and I was going to paiint it anyway. It would have been less work because I woulndt have had to get it threaded ($80).

Fred Fuller
June 9, 2005, 11:14 AM
Could be that's why it's for sale? Someone else saw the same thing you're seeing and didn't like it.

I agree with the consensus, $50 is too much by a good bit for a questionable barrel that still needs that much work when reliable options are available for not much more money. Pass on this one...

lpl/nc

Fumbler
June 9, 2005, 12:58 PM
The barrel is owned by a gunsmith. I have a feeling it was one of his first threading projects in gunsmith school.
He didn't remember he had it until I asked him how much it cost to thread a barrel.

Anyway, I think what I'll do is cut my 24" vent rib down to 19", take the rib off, put on the GR sight, then buy a 26" barrel for bird hunting.
I want a short barrel for slugs during deer season, home defense, and just for fun. Since slugs and close range buckshot are the loads I guess I won't really need it to be choked.
I can get a 26" barrel for a pretty good price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Non-concentric shotgun choketube" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!