Gun registration in Ca.

PDA

Howie93
June 9, 2005, 11:06 AM
Lets just say I have more than one gun. Bought from a friend, a gift, or maybe left to me when someone died,(from old age). Is there a place where one can see what guns are registered to them. I realize that it would have to be very confidential so not just anyone could check. That would be very, very, bad.
Thanks for the help.
Howie

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun registration in Ca." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
June 9, 2005, 11:07 AM
Ain't no federal registration in the US. Unless you are talking machineguns.

Shear_stress
June 9, 2005, 11:10 AM
There's no federal registration, but places like California and Michigan have schemes to keep track of handguns.

I guess the question is, why would you accept guns from people who you couldn't trust in the first place?

Howie93
June 9, 2005, 11:31 AM
Boofus, I live in California and we do have to resister hand guns, If you are caught with one on your person and it is not registered to you it is a felony not a misdemeanor. Kind of important.

Shear stress,
Never said I did not trust them. don't know where that came from. Lets just say no one needs to know what all I have. I would rather not have to go through a check list with the police to see what is registered to me and what is not.

H

Shear_stress
June 9, 2005, 11:47 AM
My understanding is that California's de facto registration is through a Dealer Record of Sale for newly purchased guns, a "new resident handgun ownership report" for new residents bringing their handguns in with them, and a "firearm ownership record" form which may be voluntary. With the exception of the last two forms, I am unware of any overarching registration database that would link your name to a series of guns.

I am not sure, though, if I really understand your question. If you went through the DROS process through a California approved FFL to obtain your guns, then each could be considered "registered" to you. If you didn't, than I might worry.

I recommend that you post your question on calguns.net. Those guys can give you a much better answer than I can.

Howie93
June 9, 2005, 11:53 AM
:<)

benEzra
June 9, 2005, 11:55 AM
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms can trace individual firearms by following the paper trail and BATFE Form 4473's, but there is no centralized list of "who owns what" in most states or at the Federal level (and I certainly hope it stays that way).

Punkermonkey
June 9, 2005, 11:55 AM
If you contact the CA DOJ - Firearms division they can tell you the correct procedure. With a formal notarized request, they can provide you with a list of I believe just handguns that have been purchased in your name. I don't know the exact details, sorry.

Rob

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

Jim K
June 9, 2005, 12:26 PM
There is no "registration" of handguns in MD, except a voluntary registration. But every handgun that has been purchased in the state since the 1960's is in the state police data base. I don't know how sophisticated their search programs are, but I am sure they could tell me what handguns (and "assault rifles") are registered to me if I bought them in the state.

One concern is that they don't seem to update the data base if I transfer a gun to another person (must go through a dealer) or trade a gun into the dealer and he sells it to someone else. So if a gun involved in a crime is on record as registered to me, it is up to me to show who I sold/traded it to.

If they are going to play gun registration, it seems to me they should at least do it right.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun registration in Ca." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!