(IN) Business Owner Shoots, Critically Injures Alleged Robber

PDA

Drizzt
June 9, 2005, 05:08 PM
Business Owner Shoots, Critically Injures Alleged Robber

POSTED: 10:24 am EST June 9, 2005
UPDATED: 12:16 pm EST June 9, 2005

INDIANAPOLIS -- An alleged armed robber is in critical condition after police said he tried to rob the wrong business on the east side of Indianapolis.

Laverne Thompson, 23, is recovering from multiple gunshot wounds.

The store's co-owner told RTV6's Tanya Spencer that at about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, a man wearing a ski-mask came into the store and placed a gun just feet from her face.

Police believe the robber was in search of some quick cash. Instead, he got a trip to the emergency room.

Karen Goodlow, co-owner of Discount Cleaners, said if she had been in the store by herself, she doesn't know what would've happened to her.

Her husband was just getting ready to leave when he noticed something suspicious.

"I was on my way to the back door because he always kisses me before he leaves. That's when I saw this strange look on his face. He said, 'What's this guy doing with a ski-mask on?'" Goodlow said.

Goodlow told RTV6 the would-be robber came into the store, knocked down the gate and walked right up to her, demanding cash with a gun pointed right at her.

"I said, 'Oh my God...he's got a gun!'" Goodlow said.

Goodlow's husband is a retired 23-year veteran of the Indianapolis police department. He grabbed his own gun and fired.

"I went in the bathroom and closed the door. That's when I heard all the gunshots. I hollered, 'Al, are you O.K?' He hollered, 'Stay down! Stay down!'" Goodlow said.

The alleged robber ran out of the store, around the builiding and collapsed in the back alley. He's listed in critical condition at Wishard Hospital.

The man was hit four times in the chin and neck and two times in the body. Police told RTV6 he was only armed with a BB gun, but it resembled a regular gun.

Police are still investigating, but don't expect to file any charges against the store's owner, Alfonso Gonzalez.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4588757/detail.html

If you enjoyed reading about "(IN) Business Owner Shoots, Critically Injures Alleged Robber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
June 9, 2005, 06:14 PM
:what:

What's a retired IPD copper doing running a business in The Swamp? He should know better, but at least he came prepared.

Mr. Thompson must be a recent resident of Indianapolis. Everyone is armed to the teeth in The Swamp. :scrutiny:

Preacherman
June 9, 2005, 06:15 PM
How nice it is when good things happen to bad people... :D

Godfather
June 9, 2005, 06:27 PM
I'd like to know what he was shooting...

They're actually considering pressing charges? I bet they wouldn't be if he'd killed the guy.

El Tejon
June 9, 2005, 06:30 PM
Godfather, probably not, the Marion County PA is too smart for that. It's routine, po-po make report, check boxes, send it to PA.

I would anticipate news release next week saying something like "textbook self-defense" or the like. We shall see.

Standing Wolf
June 9, 2005, 07:30 PM
Police told RTV6 he was only armed with a BB gun, but it resembled a regular gun.

I'll bet his injuries resemble real injuries.

peacefuljeffrey
June 10, 2005, 05:34 AM
I hate it when defenders like him are ex cops, though -- 'cause, you know, no one in this room is as qualified as he is to defend himself with this .40 caliber Glock... :rolleyes:

It's too easy for the media or anti-gun types to say, "Yeah, this is fine, because he was once a police officer. Surely no civilian could have done what he did." :fire:

-Jeffrey

erik the bold
June 10, 2005, 10:57 AM
The man was hit four times in the chin and neck and two times in the body. Police told RTV6 he was only armed with a BB gun, but it resembled a regular gun.

Six hits ?!? And some folks say that LEO's can't hit the broad side of a barn :D

A Cleaner
June 10, 2005, 11:22 AM
Good on him, regardless of what profession he retired from. There's one more critically wounded BG serving as an example of A) what happens when you try to intimidate and take advantage of law abiding citizens and B) why the right to keep and bear arms is so important. My two pennies.

TallPine
June 10, 2005, 01:16 PM
How come the robbery is "alleged" but the shooting is a given ??????

Goodlow sounds like an "old school" cop - the ones we could use more of these days. :)

P95Carry
June 10, 2005, 02:48 PM
Sounds like this was a highly effective ''reverse Mozambique'' :) ............ maybe the ''alleged'' robber will be soon found to have ''allegedly'' expired!! ;)

AF_INT1N0
June 10, 2005, 03:09 PM
How come the robbery is "alleged" but the shooting is a given ??????

Because the robbery was a crime.. The shooting was legal...

Best guess.

Andrew Rothman
June 10, 2005, 03:14 PM
Laverne Thompson, 23, is recovering from multiple gunshot wounds.

It looks like this dry cleaner couldn't completely remove this stain on society. :p

JohnKSa
June 10, 2005, 11:52 PM
4 hits in above the shoulders and he lived? Sounds like he's too stupid to die...

El Tejon
June 11, 2005, 10:43 AM
Either that or he understood that he was just shot with a handgun and it's unlikely to be fatal. Maybe BGs should read THR then they would realize that "placement is all you need." :D

JohnKSa
June 11, 2005, 03:00 PM
he was just shot with a handgun and it's unlikely to be fatalTouche, I believe something like 20% survive--still, 4 hits above the shoulders would seem to put you in a slightly different class than a typical person hit by a bullet from a handgun.

71Commander
June 11, 2005, 03:14 PM
Even if he recovers, he ain't gonna be right in the head. :evil:

Mannlicher
June 11, 2005, 03:37 PM
I am so glad that the business owners are ok. Armed robbery is never fun. I think the owner shot pretty good, being a ex cop and all. Most of them don't shoot any better than the gang bangers. Four hits with a Glock .40, wow. So much for 'double taps' :)

bratch
June 11, 2005, 03:51 PM
I didn't see a mention of the store owners gun. I believe the Glock 40 comment was about the DEA agent.

If you enjoyed reading about "(IN) Business Owner Shoots, Critically Injures Alleged Robber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!