Remington 870 Question

PDA

Joey101
June 10, 2005, 12:07 PM
Remington Pump Shotgun 870 Express Synthetic Super Magnum Turkey 12/23 3.5

Would this shotgun be a good overall choice for someone looking for home protection weapon?

Also this may have been answered on here before, but I will ask anyway. How easily would 12ga. shot stay in the house? What I mean is I live in a townhome, in a not so good part of town (we'll just say that). And I want something that's going to stop the intruder DEAD in his tracks but at the same time keep whatever shot didn't hit him in the house. Here are some parameters, from my bedroom to my front door (My Master Bedroom is on the first floor) is about 15-20 foot away. But from my bedroom door to the wall directly in front of it (think of it as standing in the doorway and looking out into where the living room would be) is only about 11 foot. And the wall is shared with a neighbor. I don't doubt that the shot might stay in when firing at the front door but what about if firing out my bedroom door? :uhoh:

This is my best option for home protection, I thought about a pistol but honestly aiming is the last thing I want to have to worry about if the time ever comes. And I pray it doesn't. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 870 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nitesite
June 10, 2005, 12:28 PM
Joey,

At the distances you mention, you're still gonna have to aim. Now let's let the experts lend their opinion on the other questions you raise.

waterhouse
June 10, 2005, 12:28 PM
I can't comment on your specific choice, as I don't know much about the Turkey 3.5 inch, but the 870 platform is hard to beat for home defense. Good idea on the shotty over a pistol if you don't plan on training often as well.

Whichever one you end up getting, I personally would load light (2 3/4 shells instead of 3.5 inch), even considering some of the reduced recoil loads depending on how they pattern from your gun. That should help some with the penetration issues you are concerned about, but I've never shot through drywall so I'm not sure about that either.

I'm sure someone will be able to answer about your specific gun.

Fred Fuller
June 10, 2005, 03:09 PM
I'd leave the Super Magnum alone and stick with a standard or magnum 870. No need to be shooting Roman candles in the house, for HD all you need and more will be found in 2 3/4" loads. I have an older Express Magnum Turkey 12 ga. with a 21" VR barrel with Remchokes, bought used last year for less than $150. IMHO it is as close to a one-gun-one-barrel do it all shotgun as one is likely to find.

The Supermag has a longer stroke to cycle, which I suppose is no particular problem to get used to if it's the only pumpgun you shoot. But that snap- on bolt dustcover thingie that fills in the longer ejection port- _that_ I object to on a working gun. Too many of them snap off that I have heard of, it could jam the gun. I don't like extraneous stuff in a working gun which can cause problems, the watchword is KISS. But that's just me... YMMV.

Stay safe,

lpl/nc

only1asterisk
June 10, 2005, 03:46 PM
I know of no shotgun load that will not penetrate a standard interior wall. Even rubber buckshot will go through at room distances. Of course, no rifle or handgun can be depended upon to stop in one wall (or 5 in most cases).
I think the shotgun, combined with smaller buckshot or the largest lead shot loads you can find will represent the best compromise between effectiveness and danger to the neighbors. Suggested loads are #4 buckshot, AAA (if you can find it), or at the smallest hard lead BB or #2. Stick with standard 2.75 loads and avoid guns like the 870 super mag for exactly the reasons outlined above. Oh yeah, and practice!

What may help really ease your mind is to find a better place to live.

nitesite
June 10, 2005, 04:02 PM
I forgot to mention that most apartment building codes require TWO layers of sheetrock on each side of dividing walls, while only one for interior walls. So you'd have four layers of sheetrock between you and your neighbors. I bet that slows down #4s or #6s pretty good and would be less harmful after going thru that. But I am no expert on the matter.

Fred Fuller
June 10, 2005, 06:00 PM
Re. shotgun penetration in drywall, see:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

============================
" ...aiming is the last thing I want to have to worry about if the time ever comes."
============================

Ummmm... with a shotgun at close range you are practically shooting a rifle- the shot charge will essentially be a single mass for some distance (several feet, depending on load/barrel/choke). Not only is it possible to miss at close range with a shotgun, it has been done more often than many people think. That's why the frequent suggestions here on THR to practice, practice, practice- adrenalin dump does bad things to fine motor control.

The main reason for using a shotgun in HD is raw stopping power, not projectile dispersion. A shotgun at across-the-bedroom range is NOT a scattergun, its fire must be directed carefully if hits are to be obtained. Check your gun at the range using the measured distances you cited and note pattern sizes on paper at those distances.

Even given its ability to deliver energy to a target, a shotgun is not a magic wand. Granted there are few miscreants who require followup shots after a good hit is delivered with a shotgun- but there _are_ some, for one reason or another. Never expect one shot stops even with a shotgun, always be prepared to shoot again instantly if necessary.

Stay safe,

lpl/nc

Mulliga
June 10, 2005, 07:22 PM
And I want something that's going to stop the intruder DEAD in his tracks but at the same time keep whatever shot didn't hit him in the house.

You're asking for something that has never and will never exist. If it has enough oomph to penetrate to vital organs, it has enough to go through interior walls.

Joey101
June 10, 2005, 09:46 PM
I guess after reading all of www.boxoftruth.com's information. I must re-word what I said. I now realize that no drywall is going to stop any kind of round. Period. Well at least anything that is going to drop an intruder like I want. So I guess I need to wrn my neighbors about it. Tell them you know that "if someone comes in my house unwanted, they will be shot and some might come through your house as well!" :eek:

Next question which maybe should be asked in the legal section of this forum, but if someone came into my house unwanted I shot them and killed them, along with one of my neighbors (unintentionally of course) would I go to jail?

stormyone
June 11, 2005, 01:43 AM
Joey101

<<<Next question which maybe should be asked in the legal section of this forum, but if someone came into my house unwanted I shot them and killed them, along with one of my neighbors (unintentionally of course) would I go to jail?>>>

Yeah you'd probably go to jail. At the very least you'll probably go broke defending yourself trying to stay out of jail...

1911 guy
June 11, 2005, 01:56 AM
Go with smaller shot, 5 on down to 7. Some will dissagree, but at in room ranges, it will be very effective and the smaller shot will lose velocity quickly. May not STOP in drywall, but slow down to hopefully non-lethal speeds. My opinion, FWIW.

Read Articaps post below very well and then re-read it. Very good.

arcticap
June 11, 2005, 04:18 AM
I may be wrong, but if I were you, I wouldn't warn any neighbors that you intend on keeping a gun in your apartment and that they may be shot if you ever need to use it. While your intent may be noble, they may complain to the landlord or other neighbors and cause more trouble than you can imagine.
If you ever have any "situation" with an unscrupulous neighbor, they may make untruthful claims about your words, behavior and/or your firearm to the police and get you in legal trouble. You may not realize it but the world is not all in favor of guns. Even the unsuspecting mention of the location of a gun from a 2nd to 3rd or 4th party can invite theft and conspiracy by criminals, especially when you are not home. I think you would be better off knowing what types of rooms are behind each wall in your apartment and developing a self defense strategy based on what direction is the absolute safest to shoot toward in an emergency rather than alarming any neighbors. If you decide that you need to retreat to your bedroom to safely defend your life and your neighbors health and well being, then pre-plan that strategy out and defend yourself from there.

TallPine
June 11, 2005, 02:47 PM
Kevlar wallpaper perhaps .... ?

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 870 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!