Best Magazine Pouch or Carrier Under New IDPA Rules?

PDA

GunAdmirer
June 10, 2005, 06:30 PM
I need to buy a magazine carrier for IDPA use. The local club president recommends comp-tac. However, they are expensive for those on a budget. Who makes the best magazine pouch for the money? Single or double? I will be using a Glock 17 now and a Springfield 1911 later. I would appreciate your experience and advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Magazine Pouch or Carrier Under New IDPA Rules?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Krag
June 10, 2005, 08:57 PM
You mean they have changed the rules again? I don't know why you guys bother with all that c*ap. Why not just switch to USPSA?

Jim Watson
June 11, 2005, 10:01 AM
Well, then he'd need twice as many mag carriers, wouldn't he?

I use the Ready Tactical Products singles, available for $18 each from
http://www.pistolpacking.com/holsters/pages/CarrierMag.shtml

If that is too expensive, I still see Uncle Mike and Fobus on the ranges.

RKirby
June 11, 2005, 11:32 AM
I'll second the Uncle Mike's mag carriers...usually can be found for around $10.00 -$12.00. AFIK they do meet IDPA rules. I see alot of them at local IDPA matches.

Comp-Tac, Bladetech, etc are first rate products, and they will impress your fellow shooters...but Uncle Mike's, Fobus and other "economy" brands will get the job done for a lot less money.

Besides, some of us ;) need to spend less on equipment and more on practice time!

OF
June 11, 2005, 12:17 PM
I'd have to measure the one I have, but I'm pretty sure the Uncle Mike's will cover 2". The comp-tac pouches are the bomb, though.

faustulus
June 12, 2005, 02:27 AM
Here these are guarenteed to pass inspection by the IDPA-loice
;) Wilson CombatŪ magazine pouches
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/images/product/MagazinePouches.jpg

Krag
June 12, 2005, 07:48 PM
Jim - true but he'd have twice as much fun! :cool: :rolleyes: :p

GunAdmirer
June 12, 2005, 11:39 PM
Is there any advantage to having two single mag pouches or one double in IDPA matches? What do you all suggest?

I can't imagine carrying two magazines in a double mag pouch for daily concealed carry. I might carry one extra mag in a single or in my pocket. I would hate to be in a situation where I needed more than 34 rounds out of my Glock 17.

I know you can only use 10+1 in IDPA.

faustulus
June 13, 2005, 02:35 AM
I would go with multiple singles over doubles. This gives you the ability to adjust the spacing to suit your needs. More versatility is always a good thing, especially when belt loops don't want to cooperate.

mike benedict
June 13, 2005, 05:59 PM
I like Kydex singles most of the time I wear one but I always have a handful of others in my gun bag in case the COF requires more.

Mike

Skunkabilly
June 13, 2005, 07:01 PM
http://www.cen-dex.com/images/CFM%20mag%20carrier%201%20grn.jpg

I want these but they don't exist for the Beretta :(

faustulus
June 13, 2005, 08:46 PM
Hey Skunk,
Have you tried one? They are tension adjustable, should be able to tweak it down some and get the beretta to fit just fine. CenDex makes CZ stuff I wonder why those aren't avaliable for CZ mags.

GunAdmirer
June 14, 2005, 12:08 PM
I ordered two of the Ready Tactical single magazine pouches referenced above from PistolPacking.com. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks for the advice.

GunAdmirer
June 25, 2005, 08:27 PM
All I can say is WOW. I got the Comp-Tac single mag pouches in this afternoon. Only took two days to get them. They are worth the extra money. I don't know how you could break or wear one of these out.

BTW, you don't need the more expensive UGH models for IDPA. They haven't updated their website since the rule changes.

Thanks for all the information and comments.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Magazine Pouch or Carrier Under New IDPA Rules?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!