Question about swords

PDA

Lord Soth
March 18, 2003, 07:14 PM
Just out of curiosity if one is on active duty in the Military, can one have/wear his or her personal sword (not that it is really useful)?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about swords" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Navy joe
March 18, 2003, 07:59 PM
Sure, but you probably couldn't bring it on base due to weapons regulations and any decent NCO (like me) would make you want to use the sword on yourself if you were ever spotted with it in uniform. Neat word, uniform, think about it. If a infantry troop you could probably get away with a khukuri or machete since they have some use.

Side note. I am military and have a personal sword. It stays at home where I don't have to be uniform.

kannonfyre
March 18, 2003, 09:13 PM
Agree with Navy joe but latitude with personal gear pretty much depends on rank and unit status (regular, draftee or reservist).

Even though I belong to a reservist unit, there's only so far that I can stray from uniform regs. I'd already be stretching the limits by using personalised LBE (which i do). However, I can and have gotten away with using my own custom made fighting knife/survival knife. It's pretty big and I'd like to think it qualifies as a mini sword.

Note:During the last 3 reserve call-ups my company mates and CO have noticed my blade and they too want ONE JUST LIKE IT. I have contacted the knife maker for about 60-70 copies so my knife may end up being the unofficial "standard issue" for my unit. :rolleyes: I hate copycats....they take all the fun out of bending the rules.

Jim March
March 18, 2003, 09:56 PM
I suspect there's a huge difference between "on base in peacetime" and "in a forward camp about to charge into combat".

I've never been in the .mil but I've seen pictures of guys on the front with some pretty odd grips sticking out of a russack or slung across the back. Including Wakizashi-class short swords, big Khukuris, etc.

JShirley
March 18, 2003, 10:39 PM
I have a Himalayan Imports kukuri that I've been known to bring on field problems with me, in lieu of an e-tool. It's about the size of a short sword, I reckon, but:

1) I'm infantry, and

2) I'm a mortarman. We have to be able to clear brush out of the way to see our aiming poles, and a machete is supposed to be part of the squad gear.

I did know an 11B Sergeant who carried a kuk out in the field, as well.

Navy joe
March 19, 2003, 05:12 PM
People look at you funny if you walk around a boat with a kuk. Mine stays home too, unless someone wants to let me in the infantry. Heck, people look at me funny for all the folding blades that I carry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about swords" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!