Iraq soldiers displaying some good safety skills

PDA

Yohan
March 18, 2003, 06:51 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/030318/168/3jt66.html
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030318/capt.1048015899.iraq_xjd109.jpg
Fingers off the trigger! With the way things are going, looks like before they know it, they won't have a finger to put ON the trigger, hehe

If you enjoyed reading about "Iraq soldiers displaying some good safety skills" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
March 18, 2003, 07:01 PM
Wow, look how they are fortifying the city and preparing to fight house to house.:rolleyes:

Average Guy
March 18, 2003, 07:05 PM
"Special deal on Iraqi rifles! Dropped once; never fired!" (May or may not include optional toilet paper surrender flag.)

BerettaNut92
March 18, 2003, 07:11 PM
Hey, I feel safer there than being in the same room with Dianne Feinstein.

blades67
March 18, 2003, 07:22 PM
That's because you are safer there.:what: :D

Blackhawk
March 18, 2003, 07:23 PM
Ever notice how the Iraqi cameras keep a tight focus on the "massive, enthusiastic demonstrations" in support of Saddam?

Sometimes they slip up, and the camera catches the edges. There are seldom more than 200-300 people even in the area.

Blackcloud6
March 18, 2003, 07:28 PM
In a week, they'll just have their hands in the air.

pittspilot
March 18, 2003, 07:48 PM
Oh,

You actually believe that those guys get ammunition?

Ha, I wouldn't be surprised if those AK's had plugged barrels.

Yohan
March 18, 2003, 08:25 PM
Wait, maybe they're Airsoft rifles! :D :D

Thumper
March 18, 2003, 08:32 PM
Oh,

You actually believe that those guys get ammunition?

Ha, I wouldn't be surprised if those AK's had plugged barrels.

Why would you say that? :confused:

Standing Wolf
March 18, 2003, 09:44 PM
Something or other about always being sure where the business end of the gun is pointed...?

pittspilot
March 19, 2003, 12:00 AM
"Why would you say that?"

You don't really believe that Saddam would allow any great number of his citizens to gain access to ammunition or arms. I bet that the regular troops aren't issued ammunition until the eve of conflict, or just a few shells for practise.

People like Saddam are well aware of what an armed populace can do, and that is instructive.

Yohan
March 19, 2003, 12:06 AM
Too bad they're part of his army. Notice it says soldiers, not citizens. But whatever.

Kahr carrier
March 19, 2003, 12:47 AM
That pictures caption should read PLS TAKE MY RIFLE.

SquirrelNuts
March 19, 2003, 01:01 AM
They would make Eddie the Eagle very happy!

-SquirrelNuts

Thumper
March 19, 2003, 01:11 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A26394-2003Feb4&notFound=true

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0310/p01s03-woiq.htm

http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/868833.asp?cp1=1

You don't really believe that Saddam would allow any great number of his citizens to gain access to ammunition or arms.
Um...yeah.

"With a gun culture that closely resembles that of the United States, Iraq is one of the most heavily armed societies in the world. Its tradition of self-reliance and hard desert and mountain living puts it on a gun-per-person level rivaling other clan systems in Yemen or Somalia."

Plenty of civilian fire north of Kuwait during Desert Storm...

fallingblock
March 19, 2003, 01:28 AM
And it seems that the Baath party has neglected to hand out any weapons to the Shiite folk in the south. The U.S. ought to address this issue, don't you think?:)

Despite the disgusting nature of Saddam and his 'family'...remember to make the distinction between them and the little guys. The Iraqi who said he wasn't going to shoot any Americans, but keep his weapons hidden at home was a classic.
I bet there were plenty like him in our Revolutionary War....not sure of the politics but convinced he wanted to keep the firearms handy.

Iraq appears to have a similar innate respect for firearms ownership that U.S. citizens share. Could it be possible that we might be looking at a lot of potential NRA members down the track;)

I hope we let that guy keep his revolver and rifle:uhoh:

Thumper
March 19, 2003, 02:31 AM
Yep...he was trying to control gun ownership in Basra (mostly Shiite) before festivities last time.

Lot of areas north of there where EVERYBODY'S armed...until you get to the far, north, of course.

Andrew
March 19, 2003, 02:59 AM
I would say they are all thinking, Hey! we are not going to win this war, so lets party in the streets

Jim March
March 19, 2003, 07:22 AM
I've been tracking every report of Iraqi personal arms I can find.

Here's what appears to be going on:

Baath party members can get AKs, sorta like how Class3 is treated here :rolleyes:.

Kurds and Shi'ites sneak their toys in from Iran :D.

Ordinary "Arabs" in the central country have access to gun shops all right, but there are references to "handguns and hunting long guns", with 22s and 12ga specifically mentioned. I have a STRONG hunch that you won't find scoped bolt-guns...'specially nothing good. Your basic US deer rifle in 30-06 or 7mm or whatever with a scope is what would scare the bejeezus out of Saddamn and company.

If I'm right, what they're doing is making sure people have access to "short range stuff" for criminal defense because they're going to be desperate for that sort of thing and will score it off the Iranians if they can't buy it openly in Baghdad. But anything that can take somebody down at 100yds or more is going to be restricted as all hell. Betcha ya can't even find 12ga slugs.

Greg L
March 19, 2003, 07:40 AM
I bet that the regular troops aren't issued ammunition until the eve of conflict, or just a few shells for practise.

Sounds like you are talking about our army too. ;)

Greg

Baba Louie
March 19, 2003, 10:58 AM
Photo represents a target rich environment.

And isn't this one of those cultures that loves to fire their AK's full auto up into the air when they're happy?

Adios

OF
March 19, 2003, 11:11 AM
Did you ever notice that when you see footage of these Iraqi demonstrations, which are all state-sponsored by the way, the camera never pans across the crowd, and only the people right in front of the camera have any animation? The people at the fringes of the shot are just standing there picking their noses.

Guess you're not too into it when it's only fear keeping you at the demonstration.

- Gabe

makdaddy03
March 19, 2003, 07:11 PM
I wouldnt want to be the cameraman.

dongun
March 19, 2003, 07:21 PM
I saw on CNNs web site that 17 Iraqis had already surrendered - and the war hasn't started yet.

Bainx
March 20, 2003, 12:44 PM
The guy on the right that has both hands on the rifle has an underfolding bayonet. Pretty cool.

If you enjoyed reading about "Iraq soldiers displaying some good safety skills" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!