where to file a police report ???


June 12, 2005, 04:31 PM
Hope I am posting in the correct forum.

This guy from TX has taken USPS money orders ($1300.00) and refuses to send the gun. One excuse after another. Now, well over a year has flown by.

Do I look up his local PD/sheriff in Mercedes TX 78570, or go to my local LE in California 94601?

Thanks all.

PS: I have his partents add. I also have his work number, personal cell and work cell phone and address. I dont have his home add as he has since moved.

If you enjoyed reading about "where to file a police report ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
June 12, 2005, 04:46 PM
I'd call both police departments, his and yours. Also consider calling the ATF, and if those are postal money orders call the postal inspector.

June 12, 2005, 04:46 PM
I think you need to contact the TX PD so they can follow up in person. Technically, the transaction is taking place in Texas. I cannot believe you waited a year to do something. I hope you have all your documentation squared away or I expect you're out $1300.


Standing Wolf
June 12, 2005, 04:50 PM
I'd make sure to bring the B.A.T.F.E. into the matter, as well as the post office: they're both federal agencies, and may be somewhat less inclined to pass the proverbial "buck."

June 12, 2005, 05:12 PM

Your towns PD/SO
His towns PD/SO
US Postal Service Police

Like others have said, have all your documentation in order, copies, any correspondence (Phone, email, snail mail) you have had with him.

YOU did good, using a postal money order is the best option.

June 12, 2005, 05:16 PM
Yes, all of the above!

June 12, 2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the advice all.

I have already filed a complaint, through the http://www.ifccfbi.gov site and they were supposed to involve the FBI, BATFE and the postal service. Have not heard back. Guess the Big Agencies want to spend time only big cases..

I will call the persons local PD tomorrow. I have all the e-mails. All stubs from the post office and reciepts. I also have the copy of the express, registered mail sent to him which contained the money orders.

Again, Thanks much for your guidance and advice.


June 12, 2005, 05:41 PM
Actually its now located here..


June 12, 2005, 06:03 PM
I find that talking to someone, and not just filling out an online form, usually gets better responses.

June 12, 2005, 06:20 PM
To get his current mailing address send him a certified letter, return receipt, and/or request from the PO 'address service'. The PO will advise you of his current delivery address if he filed a forwarding form. Check with the PO for exact details of how to request.

BTW, make your letter a 'demand' letter demanding that he send you the gun or refund all monies sent.

Hope it works out for you.

June 12, 2005, 06:42 PM
You can file with all those agencies mentioned above but, the best one to file a report with would be the US Postal Inspectors, especially if you sent that money order through the US mail. Hopefully you have the receipt. The sad thing is that you waited so long. Sometimes there is a limitation to filing a report based on how long a time frame goes by. I doubt it is that way for a fraud case that involves the USPS though, so definitely give thenm a call or better yet go to them in person. While they may answer an Internet complaint, I have little faith in such a system.

Also, if you bought the item through an online auction houise such as AuctionArms.com or GunBroker.com, they usually have a remedy for such problems.

Whichever way you go to resolve this you should gather all of your documentary evidence in the form of any correspondence, any emails, any records of phone calls you made to this guy, any record of calls he made to you, the receipt for your money order, a copy of whereever you saw the gun adverstised and so forth..........Good luck

Spreadfire Arms
June 13, 2005, 10:12 AM

post this guy's name, address, phone number, email, etc. so he doesn't burn anyone else. thanks.

June 13, 2005, 10:22 AM
In addition to what has already been said above. I suggest you make a cronological list of what you did when, and who you talked to.

Having all your information readily accessible on one or two sheets of paper, in cronological order makes it very easy for you to keep track of what happened when. This makes it so much easier when you talk to Law Enforcement.

Regards and Good Luck getting your hard earned money back.


June 13, 2005, 10:29 AM
i'd vote against filing with every department you can find in the phone book.

i had an ebay experience a few years ago that wasn't gun related, but that was about the same amount ($1200). I lived in OH and the BG lived in CA. After ebay proved useless, I contacted my local PD and they worked with the PD in CA to resolve the matter. A quick phone call from the PD was all it took to send my money back.

Spreadfire Arms
June 13, 2005, 11:22 AM
it also helps if you happen to get a pro-gun guy in his hometown PD, often times they can empathize with you and convince the guy to "do the right thing." good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "where to file a police report ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!