LMT or RRA upper

PDA

bratch
June 12, 2005, 11:19 PM
Would you consider a LMT upper to be worth the additional $120 over a very similar RRA upper? The rifle will be for fun, plinking, and about anything else a AR can be used for.

If you enjoyed reading about "LMT or RRA upper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CentralTexas
June 12, 2005, 11:36 PM
there isn't a dollars worth of difference better between them.

Gordon
June 12, 2005, 11:38 PM
YES and YES. I just bought an M-4 type upper for my Colt HBAR lower (finally!) and the Colt Bolt and carrier fit PERFECTLY (I had an armorer check it-carefully)and the LMT stuff is finished nicely and fits tight! The gas tube is really done right as is the gas block ect! My friend has a RRA DEA gun and although his shoots OK , the devil is in the details, which are no where near as fine as the LMT. $120 more well spent IMHO. ;)

Beren
June 13, 2005, 08:22 AM
If your primary concern is plinking and fun, consider a CMT/Stag upper. I don't think they have 1/7 twists yet.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=258390

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/stag_arms.htm

Gordon
June 13, 2005, 10:16 AM
That is a great deal on the CMT upper , which is really good too! :)

Darkside852003
June 13, 2005, 10:25 AM
If your primary concern is plinking and fun, consider a CMT/Stag upper. I don't think they have 1/7 twists yet.

I bought the Stag upper from AIM for $475. I consider it the best bang for your buck right now. I ran 700 rounds in the rain for break in with only one FTF.

taliv
June 13, 2005, 10:38 AM
i'd take the RRA any day and prefer it over some higher priced ones because of the wylde chamber. (of course, you can get that chamber in another upper if you want)

Onslaught
June 13, 2005, 11:10 AM
I wish I could find the particular thread from ARFCOM, but I believe it was determined that LMT made uppers for DSA, MAYBE Bushmaster (can't remember) and I think that CMT make the newer "T-numbered" RRA uppers.

Quite honestly, I have no LMT experience, but I do have a Bushmaster and RRA, and I've also had Armalite, and my RRA is a tighter fit then my Bushmaster. I like my RRA, and I PERSONALLYwould NOT spend the $120 extra for LMT. I would, however spend $99 for a CMT and be happy!

cgv69
June 13, 2005, 01:02 PM
i'd take the RRA any day and prefer it over some higher priced ones because of the wylde chamber. (of course, you can get that chamber in another upper if you want)

Actually Most RRA barrels have a 5.56MM NATO chamber. Only their SS and 20" barrels have the Wylde chamber.

I wish I could find the particular thread from ARFCOM, but I believe it was determined that LMT made uppers for DSA, MAYBE Bushmaster (can't remember) and I think that CMT make the newer "T-numbered" RRA uppers.

Quite honestly, I have no LMT experience, but I do have a Bushmaster and RRA, and I've also had Armalite, and my RRA is a tighter fit then my Bushmaster. I like my RRA, and I PERSONALLYwould NOT spend the $120 extra for LMT. I would, however spend $99 for a CMT and be happy!

Maybe I am reading the original question wrong but I think bratch is asking about complete uppers (not just the receiver)?

Bratch - if you are talking about the receiver itself then yes, CMT has the best deal going. ~$85 with T-numbers and your choice of M4 feedramps or not (just depends on the barrel you plan to use). Spending any thing more for a A3\A4 type upper is just a waste of money regardless of use supposedly made it.

If you are talking complete uppers, well that's where we get into a grey area. There are a number of differences between the typical RRA upper and LMT upper. Twist rate, barrel profile, steel type, feed ramps, etc..

The LMT costs more because it comes with more features. Is it worth it for you to pay the extra amount? Only you can say but it really depends on how you plan to use it, what ammo you want to use, etc., etc.

I will say if you are just a casual shooter and are not planing on using any of the larger rounds (69gr+) then the Stag Arms upper deal from AIM Supply is going to nearly impossible to beat.

boofus
June 13, 2005, 01:13 PM
The LMT has 5.56mm military chamber, they all come chrome lined, they have m4 feed ramp cuts in the barrel extension and upper receiver. The T markings on the flat top is also painted white and they use the F marked front sight base.

RRA makes a good product, but the LMT is better and priced accordingly.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 13, 2005, 03:40 PM
If you are discussing just the upper receiver (which I doubt based on the price you mentioned), then the only significant difference between the LMT and the RRA uppers are the M4 feed ramps on the LMT.

If you are discussing complete uppers with barrel, handguards, front sight etc. The LMT will be closer to military spec assuming it is all LMT and not just a hodge podge of parts on an LMT receiver put together by some distributor.

Both are good manufacturers. I would advise you to determine what features you want and then buy from whoever offers those features at the best price.

bratch
June 13, 2005, 08:21 PM
I am discussing complete uppers sorry for any confusion.

The RRA is a 16" chromelined 1/9 twist with the SF handguard.

The LMT is 16" 1/7 twist with the SF handguard.

The price difference is basically the cost to put B/C/H in the LMT.

I hadn't originally planned on getting the SF with the upper I had considered it later but it appears to be a decent deal to go ahead and get it.

I'll have to look at the CMT/Stag.

Edit:
Stags are running the same price as the RRA I was looking at.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 14, 2005, 09:42 AM
In that case for $120 more, you'll get genuine M4 feedramps that are part of the receiver forging and a 4150 steel 1/7 chrome-lined barrel (as opposed to a 4140 1/9 chrome-lined barrel from RRA).

If you plan on shooting a lot of the heavier 5.56mm ammo like the 75gr or 77gr rounds, then both of those LMT features will be useful to you. If you plan only occasional shooting of the heavier rounds at distances of less than 100yds, then you probably won't get $120 worth out of the difference.

Master Blaster
June 14, 2005, 10:36 AM
My RRA CAR upper has the M4 feed ramp cuts in the upper receiver.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 14, 2005, 02:04 PM
The RRA feed ramps are usually made with a Dremel by cutting into an ordinary lower receiver. This concerns some people because you have to cut through the anodized surface of the aluminium in order to make the ramps. Usually having this done adds about $50 to the cost of the receiver.

The LMT is made with the ramps in place and then anodized. The M4 ramps are a proprietary Colt thing, so you cannot get the "real" M4 ramps without Colt's blessing because the patent on the M4 is still current.

In any case, the primary benefit I've seen claimed for deeper feed ramps is just more reliable feeding of longer overall length ammo (like the heavy 75 and 77s) and a little better luck with marginal magazines. I've run several hundred rounds of the heavier stuff through an AR with normal feed ramps and never had a problem; but if you planned to shoot a lot of heavy ammo or shoot it at a high cyclic rate, then the feed ramps might come in handy.

Master Blaster
June 15, 2005, 10:25 AM
I dont know why a gunsmithing operation like RRA would use a dremel for making feedramps when they have a machine shop, But anyway I looked at my RRA upper last night and the feedramp cuts are most definately anodized although there is a little wear to it, and some rubbed off jacket material from firing. Why would they do it after anodizing anyway????

CentralTexas
June 15, 2005, 10:56 AM
go to ar15.com and search out the what ? about 35 page thread explaining this, enough info to really make the decision over there....
Anyway, I've never had one of my RRA guns not feed....
CT

ny32182
June 15, 2005, 11:24 AM
RRA seems to be improving their product substantially as off late.

For instance, this is the first time that I have *ever* heard of an RRA upper with M4 feedramps.

Not long ago, RRAs were not 5.56 chambered, not chrome lined, used 4140 instead of 4150, no T marks, no M4 handguards, etc. The LMT was better by far, more than $120 worth.

Today if you can get an RRA upper that is almost as mil-spec as the LMT, the extra $120 might not be worth it to you. Personally I've heard to many conflicting reports about what RRA puts out these days to mess with it. Not that they don't put out a good product. But, if I had it to do over again, I would still put out the extra money for the LMT to ensure I was getting the best.

If you enjoyed reading about "LMT or RRA upper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!