Interesting thing

PDA

Gifted
June 13, 2005, 01:10 AM
During the shooting trip out near Warrenton, we stopped by to get something to eat on the way home. I didn't think, and was really too tired to take my gun belt and holster off.

So, we went into Jack in the Box, me with an empty holster on my hip. No one said a word. Got me thinking.

Later, I helped a lady move out, spent time going in and out of the house with this holster on my hip. I almost went into Wal-Mart with it, considered it while driving over there, but when I pulled in, I decided to take it off.

But I do wonder if it would be a big deal around here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting thing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stevie-Ray
June 13, 2005, 10:38 PM
And the whole time nobody called you Woody? :D

38SnubFan
June 14, 2005, 02:36 AM
I'd be telling you that you're crazy for walking around with a holster on your hip.

I'd be telling you, "You need to return to your vehicle right now, and don't come back in here until that holster is filled with something loaded and ready to go! There's no use for a person coming in here only LOOKING armed!" :neener: :D

-38SnubFan

DigMe
June 14, 2005, 11:52 AM
I seem to recall reading someone's account of being accosted by the police or something for wearing an empty holster. I may be remembering it wrong.

brad cook

nomadboi
June 14, 2005, 12:08 PM
I've done that too- working on a film set I end up juggling and running around with more fake handguns than I have pockets for, so sometimes I'm walking around with a couple of belt holsters, a shoulder rig, and all my pockets full of blanks.

Couple of times I've forgotten to take a holster off my belt when packing up the guns, but it's yet to get me into trouble.

Lennyjoe
June 14, 2005, 01:09 PM
Here in Az you would of got laughed at for wearing an empty holster. Probably even haggled about being afraid to wear your weapon.

After a shoot up in Phoenix a few of us went to Sonic. I think there was 2 1911's, one Ruger and maybe a Glock in open holsters while we ate out in the open and no one batted an eye. :D

iamhistory
June 14, 2005, 04:46 PM
It was hunting season here and I walked into a Uni-Mart to pay for gas one morning about 0500 with a .44 mag w/ scope in a chest style holster. I wasn't about to go through taking it off and putting it back on again. The young female cashier didn't really seem to mind, unless she was nervous on the inside.

It's about the same "just an everyday thing" reaction around here when you drive through our rural areas and see guys walking along the roads with long guns. Nobody that I know of has ever freaked out about it......it's just life here in the hills.

Preacherman
June 14, 2005, 04:59 PM
Hah! :D

Try being in north-central Louisiana during deer season. Your typical Northern or Western anti would have several heart-attacks daily... You'll see any or all of the following within an hour on a typical morning:

1. Pre-teens riding four-wheelers at insane speeds down the grass verges of highways, with lever-action .30-30's openly lashed to the gun rack above the handlebars, no helmets, all-camo clothing, etc.;

2. Hunters running after dogs, with rifles and/or shotguns in their hands, pointed out towards the roadway on which you'll pass them, panting and puffing their way towards their target;

3. Fishing-boats on bayous bordering the road, with the fishermen having rifles and shotguns racked ready for use in case a deer decides to show itself along the bank;

4. Trucks parked haphazardly along the road anywhere close to a deer "hot spot", often with impromptu tailgate parties going on as the ladies wait for their men to bring home the bacon - er, venison;

5. Vultures hovering over the road, waiting for the hunters to leave the gut piles they've thoughtfully placed just inside the treeline, so that satiated vultures can hop into the road to get up takeoff speed (and, of course, be hit by passing vehicles in doing so).

Fun and games, it ain't...

If you enjoyed reading about "Interesting thing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!