Colt service ?


March 18, 2003, 09:16 PM
Thinking about sending my Colt 80 S/S 45 back to Colt? Went to the range this last Sunday. Notice that the slide would not stay open on the last shot. (150rds later)
That night I disassembed to see what was wrong, and noticed that a peice of the slide stop was broken, and there is a slight bulge in the barrel?
Not sure what went wrong?:confused:
I was shooting my reloads 5.0grs W-231 208gr bullet . All the rounds fired and ejected.
Should I just order what I need from Brownnells? or send it back to Colt?

And if so what brand of replacement parts should I buy?

Thanks :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt service ?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
March 19, 2003, 01:29 AM
Send it back to Colt, they'll fix it for free, and do it right.

March 19, 2003, 01:55 AM
A slide stop is a simple thing to replace, so buying a new one would be a quick and easy fix. But Colt slide stops are forged, while many after market parts are cast or MIM. I'd call Colt and try to get a gen-u-ine OEM replacement part.

"there is a slight bulge in the barrel" Not sure what you mean here. If the piece of broken slide stop got caught between the barrel and the breechface, it might cause the barrel surface to dent and peen. A similar thing happened to my Kimber, but the damage was minor and I sanded and polished it out.

If the barrel is truly bulged, as in "swollen like to about burst", then send it back to Colt for inspection. Something is seriously wrong, if that's the case.

Matt G
March 19, 2003, 04:51 AM
Uh oh.

"Slight bulge in the barrel" sounds like a ringed barrel. This is a fairly common problem among reloaders. It happens when a case gets loaded with a primer and bullet, but no powder charge, for one reason or another. The cartridge is "fired," but of course only pushes the barrel a short distance into the barrel by the primer pressure alone. The case is manually ejected, a new, charged cartridge fed into the chamber and fired, and the resulting overpressure causes a barrel bulge, or ring.

I've seen a couple or more, and would probably recognize it if you could post a photo of the barrel alone.

The fix is to replace the barrel entirely.

Slide stops are easily replaced and there are plenty of them on the market to choose from; I'd install my own.


March 19, 2003, 07:17 AM
Would the case eject if I didn't put a powder charge? All the rounds I fired on Sunday (Fired ):confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt service ?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!