What does "AT" stand for on Mossbergs?

PDA

Cosmoline
June 16, 2005, 03:00 PM
I have an old 500AT I'm converting into a trail gun. I'm just wondering what the "AT" stands for. I can't imagine it's "all terrain" like the new AT_ models, since this one is pretty much like all the other 500's and 500A's I've seen and has wood furniture.

If you enjoyed reading about "What does "AT" stand for on Mossbergs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CaCrusin
June 16, 2005, 05:24 PM
What you have is a run-of-the-mill Mossberg 500. Mossberg made shotguns for many different companies and assigned different names or letters to differentiate between them. There is a Model 600, a Plainfield (sold by Sears) and a host of others. They are simply made up designations and, other than the 590A1 which is the mil-std shotgun, they don't mean anyting. The Cruiser and Persuader designations indicate either a standard stock or a pistol grip.

Hope this helps. For more information on Mossbergs see the Mossberg historian at www.vichavlinsales.com. Vic is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge.

CaCrusin :cool:

KriegHund
June 16, 2005, 05:34 PM
Alliant Techsytems?

Cosmoline
June 16, 2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks!

(Though I do take issue with the terms "run of the mill" and "Mossberg 500" being used in the same sentence :D )

Pistol Toter
June 17, 2005, 03:27 AM
My model 500 Persuader Cruiser, thats right both words together is a 20" open cylinder bore, parkerized finish, 7 shot 2 3/4" one less with 3" magazine plus one in the pipe makes 8, heat shield on the barrel, pistol grip, and sling lugs. I definitely would not call it run of the mill. I took the pistol grip off and put a full stock on it to make it easier to handle and lite tube sight on it. It is one UGLY gun!! But I would not want to be a burglar and think that there was any posibility the home owner was armed with such a smoke pole. Loaded with 00 buck you could tear up a front door :banghead:

CaCrusin
June 17, 2005, 12:06 PM
(Though I do take issue with the terms "run of the mill" and "Mossberg 500" being used in the same sentence )

The term "run-of-the-mill" is not derogatory. It means that it is the stardard production piece for that company/mill/plant. It is not a custom or special order item with unusual or unique features. It has no bearing on the quality, usability, or value of the product so described. I do apologize for using a phrase that may have become arcane and misunderstood, but I write as I speak and I often use such anachronistic phrases in regular speach. I guess I'm just getting old.

CaCrusin :cool:

Cosmoline
June 17, 2005, 12:46 PM
I'm just kidding around.

Pistol Toter
June 17, 2005, 05:49 PM
I was not offended. :)

EVIL5LITER
June 17, 2005, 06:42 PM
FWIW, I think the moniker of "The Persuader" is quite possibly one of the greatest names ever for a pump action 12 gauge.

If you enjoyed reading about "What does "AT" stand for on Mossbergs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!