Choke vs. Recoil

PDA

Uncle Alvah
June 17, 2005, 04:36 PM
Having an interesting discussion/arguement with another gun nut about shotgun recoil, and came here to solicit opinions.
All things being equal, a full choked shotgun will kick harder than an open choked shotgun.
True/False?

If you enjoyed reading about "Choke vs. Recoil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Father Knows Best
June 17, 2005, 05:05 PM
False. The total amount of energy produced is exactly the same in both shotguns because they are firing the same shell. The rearward velocity of the gun (the "recoil") is the same, because they weigh the same (or close enough for our purposes).

It is possible that the guns may FEEL different on the shoulder, but that would be a function of the shape of the recoil curve, not a difference in the amount of recoil.

HSMITH
June 17, 2005, 06:59 PM
It will feel harsher with a full choke than with a cylinder choke. I don't know why but I have noticed it myself.

kudu
June 17, 2005, 09:30 PM
A full choke will make the pressure rise higher in a given shell, albeit only slightly, as opposed to a cylinder choke, this will result in more recoil for a full choke gun. This is my take on the situation. For what it's worth.

Nnobby45
June 17, 2005, 09:50 PM
It's been well established that a choke can make a difference. Vang's back-bored choke system reduces felt recoil--even without their compensated version.

45auto
June 18, 2005, 08:14 AM
Probably in the same way that short or long forcing cones MAY affect someone's "felt" recoil". Chokes also contract or expand shot columns.

A fixed, well made, full choke bbl may have a choke @ 7" long...I believe. That's a gradual change while a screw choke gun has to compress the mass of lead in a much shorter distance...more abrupt.

I don't know if that's all true, but it sounds good...doesn't it? :)

Father Knows Best
June 18, 2005, 08:31 AM
We need to distinguish between "recoil" and "feel." The amount of recoil does not change. It's high school physics. The same amount of energy is being produced, i.e., the AMOUNT of "recoil" is the same. The RATE at which that energy is transferred to the shooter may change, which can change the way the gun feels, but does not change the total amount of recoil. It's kind of the difference between a punch and a shove. A hard shove can carry the same amount of energy as a quick jab, but the jab will generally hurt more because it is delivered in a concentrated fashion (more quickly).

115grfmj
June 18, 2005, 08:31 AM
is guns with short sharp forcing cones also seem to kick harder, than
ones with lengthed forcing cones.....

Dave McCracken
June 18, 2005, 11:19 AM
A choked section pf the barrel is another forcing cone, of course. A longer cone reduces FELT recoil a trifle, but I doubt any of us can feel the difference. For less kick, heavy up the shotgun or lighten the load....

If you enjoyed reading about "Choke vs. Recoil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!