Introduction and a question.

PDA

GutWrench
June 17, 2005, 06:57 PM
Just wanted to finally say hi. I have been reading the shotgun forum here for a while but I'm just getting around to posting:)

I bought a used rifle sighted 870mag that I am going to give my Pop for fathersday (home defense). The gun was real gummy and oily so I got a great deal on it I think at $90, after a good cleaning I took it to the range to test her out and she runs fine except the trigger is very rough, its almost like it has three stages to drop the hammer. I polished the hammer a little where it meets the sear and it helped some but its still lacking a smooth trigger like my well worn shotty.

Do you guys have any ideas on what I can do to tweak it without detail stripping the trigger group or if I must do that are there any online instructions available for doing so?

Thanks,
Derek :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Introduction and a question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
June 17, 2005, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't go at detail stripping the trigger plate if I were you. Sounds as if it still needs some deep cleaning- pull it out again and soak it in kerosene or similar solvent for a few hours, then blow it out with low/moderate pressure compressed air and relubricate. If that doesn't do it, it's time for a 'smith's attention. Tearing down 870 trigger plates is not a DIY job...

You got a great deal, it should make a wonderful present for your dad. Welcome aboard,

lpl/nc

GutWrench
June 17, 2005, 07:32 PM
Thnaks for the reply and welcome, Lee.

Just sitting here dry firing it and its getting better so maybe it just needs to be broken in.

Thanks,
Derek :neener:

mnrivrat
June 18, 2005, 06:30 AM
Not much to say here except WELCOME !

I think Lee's advise is sound and have nothing to add in that area.

As far as the $90 price tag - you can get arrested for stealing you know ! :neener:

Brian Dale
June 18, 2005, 11:18 AM
Well done, GutWrench, and Welcome!

Dave McCracken
June 18, 2005, 12:26 PM
Welcome aboard,Gutwrench.You have the deal of the year. I do not recommend people doing their own trigger work, like the average driver shoudn't work on his or her own brakes.

Deep clean that TG again, blast out the stuff and relube. Bet it fixes everything.

You bought this for your Dad? When are you getting your own? Heh,heh......

GutWrench
June 18, 2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the welcomes fellas. I got a deal on the gun at the local pawnshop, man that thing was gumed up something awful :confused: But the little girl there took my offer so I ran with it.

As far as the trigger, its good now I ran 100 rounds through it this morning and worked the roughness out.

Yeah, Pop bought me my first shotgun(870 20ga) back in 1980. I'm just returning the favor. :) He has moved to Houston and mentioned that he wanted a short barreled shotty for home defense, there has been like twenty home invasions since he moved there in november.

Thanks again for the help guys.
D. :)

AnthonyRSS
June 19, 2005, 03:05 AM
Hey now- brakes and triggers are not alike.
Brakes==simple.
Triggers==complicated.
;)
Welcome to THR.

ruger357
June 20, 2005, 11:04 AM
Nice deal and welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Introduction and a question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!