Concealed Carry

PDA

Joe Meyer
June 17, 2005, 06:32 PM
You can't conceal carry in Missouri until your 23! :banghead: Well, I can see through the thing. If you don't don't carry when your 21 and aren't used to it you probably won't ever (or not as much) carry a concealed or not concealed Firearm. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Concealed Carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
June 17, 2005, 06:35 PM
Mmmmph. I got my first pistol when I was 32. And I carry every day.

pax

SmershAgent
June 17, 2005, 07:03 PM
Hey, I don't want to hear about it!

Go one state over to the east or west, and you can't carry at all.

Missouri Mule
June 17, 2005, 07:10 PM
so you from Missouri or what?

Joe Meyer
June 17, 2005, 07:39 PM
Yeah,Southwest Missouri. And I like mules, too. :cool:

Joe Meyer
June 17, 2005, 07:46 PM
I think I'll move to Alaska. I think you can carry there. :D

Hopefully..... :uhoh:

VARifleman
June 17, 2005, 07:58 PM
Get the FL permit.

DarkKnight01
June 17, 2005, 09:07 PM
not for a non resident permit..... someone else stated this in another thread... theres a loophole.... use it.... get yourself a FL non resident permit... which is valid in MO...

pax
June 17, 2005, 10:21 PM
Incidentally, Jungle Man, I think it's a travesty.

I think that there should be one single age at which a child becomes an adult in this country, for all purposes. If you're old enough to vote, pay taxes,* or join the Army and die for your country, you are also old enough to drink a beer, sign a contract, carry a weapon, and in all other ways be considered an adult responsible for your own life's choices.

(* And yeah, I know they tax minors. They shouldn't.)

pax

Mark in California
June 17, 2005, 10:43 PM
I received my CCW when I was 27. Still remember the first time I carried a loaded weapon concealed. I carry almost all the time. I feel the age you get a CCW has no bearing on how much you will use it. It has to do with why you applied for a permit and what your use of the permit is now.

SmershAgent
June 17, 2005, 10:46 PM
I think that there should be one single age at which a child becomes an adult in this country, for all purposes. If you're old enough to vote, pay taxes,* or join the Army and die for your country, you are also old enough to drink a beer, sign a contract, carry a weapon, and in all other ways be considered an adult responsible for your own life's choices.

I strongly agree. Children should be brought up in a way that encourages the freedom of making one's own decisions and the responsibility of accepting the relevant consequences. Obviously the way this applies to a 5 year old is different than the way it does to a 17 year old, but I think as people grow up, this cause and effect relationship should be stressed more and more until they reach the predetermined age (18? 19?) and are given the freedom to make all of these choices unhindered, but are also held fully accountable for the results.

Kamicosmos
June 17, 2005, 10:54 PM
The age limit in MO is supposed to be one of the first things to be addressed when they look at revising the bill.

Just be glad we got CCW at all! CCW was outlawed in 1875, I believe. We have the law now, so now we can make it better.

Baby steps man, baby steps.

SMLE
June 18, 2005, 01:15 AM
As of today (06/17/2005) it is now 21. We didn't have reciprocity either until today. It's like Kami says; "baby steps" but they do add up over time.

Just don't quit.

Strings
June 18, 2005, 01:25 AM
As others have said: at least you HAVE CCW. Here in WI, we don't (would've last session, but don't get me started)...

VARifleman
June 18, 2005, 01:32 AM
not for a non resident permit..... someone else stated this in another thread... theres a loophole.... use it.... get yourself a FL non resident permit... which is valid in MO...
Yeah, I stand corrected. For some reason I was looking at Michigan instead of Missouri. :banghead:

Vermont Guy
June 18, 2005, 02:27 PM
Interesting.

I just reviewed the law. Anyone 21 or over can car carry. No permit required in Missouri.

It also appears that the 23 year thing is for applying for a Missouri permit BUT the ability to actually carry depends on having a valid permit from any state.

Good luck.

Joe Meyer
June 18, 2005, 06:25 PM
Is concealed carry better in the eyes of the Law than open carry? Is open carry even legal? :confused: Because I would rather open carry than hide a gun on my body.

Kamicosmos
June 18, 2005, 06:34 PM
Depends on where you're at in regards to open carry.

There have been many discussions on the pros and cons (imagined and otherwise) of open carry here.

I would advise to always carry concealed.

For you, I would look into getting your Florida or Utah Permit. They are recognized by MO, are cheaper and easier to get training wise. Florida I think only requires a Hunter's Ed card, fingerprints, and a fee. Utah has a training requirement, but you can do it online!

Check out www.missouricarry.com. It's a community of us MO CCW'ers, lots of good info and the board is run very much like THR, and most of the member there are members here.

Joe Meyer
June 18, 2005, 06:43 PM
I will NOT get fingerprinted. I've done nothing wong.

sctman800
June 19, 2005, 10:29 AM
Utah no longer has the internet option but there Utah certified instructors in most states. I will be attending a class with my wife Augst 13 near St. Louis. You can find a list of instructorsat the Utah state website or thru www.packing.org. For more information try www.pack-n-heat.com and I am in no way connected to them except I will be attending the class. I need this state so I can carry in Minnesota who doesn't recognize Florida. Minnesota has a non-resident but Utah is cheaper and not as hard to get. Jim.

pax
June 19, 2005, 10:32 AM
Forest Man,

If you want to be able to legally carry a handgun, but refuse to get fingerprinted, you can move to Alaska or Vermont; both those states have permit-less concealed carry.

Every other state of which I am aware requires fingerprinting as part of the process.

pax

cobb
June 19, 2005, 12:59 PM
Minnesota doesn't require finger printing, but again, a Minnesota permit to carry is only reconized by 14 states.

another okie
June 19, 2005, 04:54 PM
Well, if you're 21 you're old enough to vote. Contact your legislators and let them know how you feel. Contact the network of men and women who worked for years to get the CCW law you have now. In almost every state I know of the CCW law that first passes is filled with restrictions, but after a few years it loosens up.

Jammer Six
June 19, 2005, 05:24 PM
Then you will NOT serve in the armed forces. Any of them.

You will NOT serve as a police officer.
You will NOT serve as a fireman.
You will NOT serve as a mailman.

You will NOT work as an attorney.

And you won't carry legally, if you need to be fingerprinted where you live.

In short, having set your own, personal set of limits, you will live within them.

Missouri Mule
June 19, 2005, 06:17 PM
Man of the forest wrote:

Sorry dude but if you want a ccw without your prints your choices are extremely limited.
When you turn 23 and decide you want a MOCCW you will be printed or you will not be getting a MOCCW period.

Otherwise I would go with the Florida nonresident or another states that could better meet your needs. If I was still younger than 23 in Mo or lived in Stlouis that is exactly what I would do.
The thing you must remember is that none of the rest of us here who have our CCW's have done anything wrong either, other wise we'd be without too.

It yous wants da prize yous gots to play da game!

cropcirclewalker
June 19, 2005, 09:27 PM
Maine, try Maine.

No prints required unless they think they need some.

Joe Meyer
June 20, 2005, 03:34 PM
Quote:

Then you will NOT serve in the armed forces. Any of them.

You will NOT serve as a police officer.
You will NOT serve as a fireman.
You will NOT serve as a mailman.

You will NOT work as an attorney.

And you won't carry legally, if you need to be fingerprinted where you live.

In short, having set your own, personal set of limits, you will live within them.

Hey, I'll serve in the local militia. :D

Joe Meyer
June 20, 2005, 03:36 PM
Again,I think I'll move to Alaska. :)

Tall Man
June 20, 2005, 04:09 PM
If you want to be able to legally carry a handgun, but refuse to get fingerprinted, you can move to Alaska or Vermont; both those states have permit-less concealed carry. Every other state of which I am aware requires fingerprinting as part of the process.

PA does not require fingerprints.
PA does not require proof of training prior to the issuance of the permit.
PA does not require training, period.
PA does not require that your carry weapons be noted on your permit.
PA asks for $19.00* for a 5 year permit.
PA allows for open carry.**
PA is a shall-issue state.

*May vary by county.
**Not widely practiced due to general LEO attitudes.

You have an (armed) friend in Pennsylvania.

TM

If you enjoyed reading about "Concealed Carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!