What happens when you will a gun to someone?

PDA

AirPower
June 17, 2005, 07:46 PM
Has anyone been though it? got a gun given to you in a will? is it a private transaction, or does it have to be taken to FFL and then do the paperwork, etc?

If you enjoyed reading about "What happens when you will a gun to someone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wmenorr67
June 17, 2005, 07:53 PM
Some of it depends on state law. If it is in the same state should not be a problem and no FFL needed. If across state lines there maybe a FFL needed. The executer of the will should be able to find out the answer.

When my father died everything was passed along as he wished. Everything was all in the same state so nothing was needed to be done.

SIOP
June 17, 2005, 08:19 PM
Gun Control Act has a clause for bequests. Don't have to go through an FFL unless something in state law requires it.

m4gnesium
June 17, 2005, 08:25 PM
The only reason I needed to go through a FFL when I inherited my Model 19 was I'm in Nevada, and the gun was in Oklahoma. I didn't feel like making the drive to go get it so we just did a transfer.

El Tejon
June 17, 2005, 08:25 PM
Couple of times they end up sitting in my conference room. Divorces too. :D

Cortland
June 17, 2005, 08:35 PM
Federal gun law is very accomodating with respect to heirs. Even machine guns can transfer interstate from estate to heir without the normal transfer tax (although all the normal paperwork is still required).

If you enjoyed reading about "What happens when you will a gun to someone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!