1150fps vrs 1290fps in skeet shooting leads

PDA

waynesan
June 18, 2005, 12:02 AM
I started skeet shooting about two months ago and have fallen in love with this sport. I've never had so much fun on the range. But I have a question I was hoping someone here could answer.
For the time being I am using a Rem 1187 12ga. for my shooting. I don't reload and I use Remington game load that have a velocity of 1290fps. I tried the lighter 1150fps loads and was getting an occasional jam which really interupts your doubles. Most of the guys I shoot with use o/u's with hand loaded shells which they say is probably less than the 1150fps shells I started with. My question is if I am on a station where a 3 foot lead is recomended, how much lead should I have using the 1290fps shells I use? Does anybody know of a chart where the different shot speeds are graphed and leads according to shot speed are listed? Thanks for your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "1150fps vrs 1290fps in skeet shooting leads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kudu
June 18, 2005, 06:35 AM
Welcome to the High Road shotgun section.

The lead change is so slight that it does not even matter on skeet. You maybe have 3"-4" less lead on a station 3, 4, or 5 target. The pattern usually opens up more on the higher velocity loads that you are using compared to the more moderate loads of 1150fps or so. You won't really be able to tell the difference untill you shoot trap targets from 20+ yards with the faster shells.

What you need to understand, is that your 3' on a skeet target is not necessarily the next guy's 3'. We all perceive leads a bit different, so should have another person stay behind you to tell you where you are breaking the target, high, low, in front of, behind. Create your own lead points and be consistant where you break the targets every time. Break your singles where you shoot that bird on the double target and so on.

waynesan
June 18, 2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks Kudu. I've been leading a little less than I should have because of the faster loads and wasn't too pleased with the results. Maybe next week when I go back I'll do a little better.

Nnobby45
June 19, 2005, 03:14 AM
Skeet is a game that you simply adjust to. I've never worried about different velocities in bird hunting, or skeet. The clat birds aren't far enough to worry about compensating for different pellet speeds. The difference in velocity is less where you'll break the birds than at the muzzle, anyway. The only time I had to make adjustments, was switching to steel shot for waterfowl--steel shot is quite a bit faster.

If you enjoyed reading about "1150fps vrs 1290fps in skeet shooting leads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!