Question about ammo...

PDA

pwolfman
June 19, 2005, 11:11 PM
I have some old .22 ammo laying around looking kinda ragid...I was wondering if I could still shoot it without harming my gun?

Any thoughts on when to ditch it?

Thanks,

pwolfman

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about ammo..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
taliv
June 19, 2005, 11:58 PM
.22lr? shoot it.

The Bushmaster
June 20, 2005, 01:24 AM
If you have to ask that question...toss it and buy a new box of .22. their cheap. :banghead:

caz223
June 20, 2005, 01:34 AM
Shoot it.
Worst thing that will happen is if it doesn't ignite.

The Bushmaster
June 20, 2005, 01:36 AM
Buy new..... :D

BigSlick
June 20, 2005, 02:39 AM
Pull the bullets and add them to the next pot you cast (if they are lead).

Otherwise, shoot one if it's ok then shoot another.

If you want to be 100% safe, pull the bullets with pliers and mash the case mouths shut. Then find a desolate place outside of town and dig a 13ft deep hole, dump the components in the bottom and cover with concrete all the way to the top.

Go to the local safety supply store and buy some hazard tape, form a perimeter of 150 ft on all sides and enclose with heavy chain link fence interlaced with the caution tape.

Then, put four 60 ft. tall posts in the ground at each corner and attach a solar panel to each. Batteries for power storage may be placed INSIDE the fence. Attach DC power illuminated rotating beacons to the top of each post.

Install an infrared light curtain at 6, 10, 25 and 50ft intervals away from the posts. This will be used to trigger the rotating beacons atop each post.

Then, under cover of darkness, hike your way back to your vehicle and drive in the opposite direction from your home about 60 miles and park in an obscure place to watch for anyone following you.

Then, open your field emergency kit, take out the roll of tin foil and make a protective hat.

Wait for further instructions...

Someone will contact you, as soon as the coast is clear to return home.

Or, ya could just shoot them. If they suck, toss 'em. :D

BigSlick

pwolfman
June 20, 2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the replies.

you are right, shoot it, or buy new stuff if I am really worried about it...

Thanks for the perspective.

Bigslick, what if you can only dig down 2 feet before you hit rock? is that good enough? :scrutiny: :D

Pwolfman

logical
June 20, 2005, 09:13 AM
I have some old .22 ammo laying around looking kinda ragid...I was wondering if I could still shoot it without harming my gun?

Depends...is the gun a .22 ? :D

Waffen
June 20, 2005, 09:57 AM
Pull the bullets and add them to the next pot you cast (if they are lead).

Otherwise, shoot one if it's ok then shoot another.

If you want to be 100% safe, pull the bullets with pliers and mash the case mouths shut. Then find a desolate place outside of town and dig a 13ft deep hole, dump the components in the bottom and cover with concrete all the way to the top.

Go to the local safety supply store and buy some hazard tape, form a perimeter of 150 ft on all sides and enclose with heavy chain link fence interlaced with the caution tape.

Then, put four 60 ft. tall posts in the ground at each corner and attach a solar panel to each. Batteries for power storage may be placed INSIDE the fence. Attach DC power illuminated rotating beacons to the top of each post.

Install an infrared light curtain at 6, 10, 25 and 50ft intervals away from the posts. This will be used to trigger the rotating beacons atop each post.

Then, under cover of darkness, hike your way back to your vehicle and drive in the opposite direction from your home about 60 miles and park in an obscure place to watch for anyone following you.

Then, open your field emergency kit, take out the roll of tin foil and make a protective hat.

Wait for further instructions...

Someone will contact you, as soon as the coast is clear to return home.

Greatest reply ever! Pure comedy gold.

Shoot 1, if it does not ignite, toss it. If it goes boom, have fun.

Mal H
June 20, 2005, 11:15 AM
Hold the phone! You guys are neglecting the possible collector value of the old stuff.

pwolfman - How old is "old", and do you still have the box for it? What brand is it? There are collectors of old ammo and boxes out there. Walk through almost any gun show and you'll see what I mean.

(Also, since this has nothing to do with reloading, I'll move it to General Discussion.)

MLH
June 20, 2005, 02:31 PM
Send it to me! :D

The Bushmaster
June 20, 2005, 11:17 PM
Bigstick....You are a GEM...Bit rough, but............

TooTaxed
June 21, 2005, 12:09 AM
Go ahead and try to shoot it. If there has been any deterioration of the ammunition due to age or exposure to heat, it will simply be lower velocity and pressure than normal...never higher pressure, so your guns aren't at risk. If it has no collector value...and few do...consider it plinking fodder. If you want to hunt or do target work, get new ammo for that. If it should be so weak that the bullet just goes partway down the barrel, push it out with a cleaning rod and dispose of the rest in a safe manner. :cool:

Standing Wolf
June 21, 2005, 12:11 AM
BigSlick:

Do you by any chance work for the government?

BigSlick
June 21, 2005, 02:35 AM
Do you by any chance work for the government?

You kidding ? Of the People, By the People, and For the People, they work for us :D

I used to be a project manager in a former job.

I changed careers after I noticed everyone didn't see problems the same way I did :scrutiny:

As IF everyone hadn't disposed of a little ammo safely at least once in their lifetime ;)

BigSlick

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about ammo..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!