CCW on the bathroom floor

PDA

Grayrock
June 21, 2005, 02:00 AM
Just encountered a new sticky situation. I have been carrying my weapon for the last year or so in a SmartCarry holster- very well hidden. I recently purchased a Fobus OWB paddle holster. It is more comfortable, and easier to use. I was at a store and the call of nature hit me. I found the men's room and an empty stall and promptly dropped my drawers (and my holstered weapon) around my ankles. Looked at it a few minutes (the gun, that is) and then it occurred to me that anyone coming in could see it laying on the floor attached to my belt. What is the best way to handle such a situation? Take it off and hold it in your hands in the stall (the gun, again :) )? Step out of your pants and hang them on the door? Keep your pants around your knees instead of ankles? What's an armed guy to do? What do YOU do?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW on the bathroom floor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
torpid
June 21, 2005, 02:04 AM
Climb up on the tank, stand backwards, and then [CENSORED].

;)

mattw
June 21, 2005, 02:07 AM
unless it's going to be a photo-finish, why not just take the belt and holster off and hang that on the door?

Shorts
June 21, 2005, 02:14 AM
Well anytime we need to use the facilities, the pants drop. So, when I'm carrying, as soon as I get the stall door locled, the gun comes out of the holster and either put on the back of the tank, or if I'm wearing a jacket, I take the hacket off, hang it, and the gun goes in the pocket.

I don't care if anyone sees the holster on my belt. For ladies know, it's a cell phone case. And if a lady does know what it is, she's probably firearm friendly (or knows from her hubby) in her thinking.

Elkslayer
June 21, 2005, 10:39 AM
Do what I did.

Get a colonostomy and you don't have to drop your drawers! :D

hnm201
June 21, 2005, 11:15 AM
Grayrock, to answer your question, the solution is not as cumbersome as holding your pistol in your hands or removing your pants. It's pretty simple, really. Intead of completely undoing your belt you need to simply loosen it and let it provide the tension needed to keep your pants off the floor and your gun and holster in an upright position.

1. Unbuckle your belt and move the buckle's tongue to the last or next to last hole your belt.

2. Spread your feet apart just enough so that your drawers stop or catch just below your knees when you drop them.

3. Sit on the commode. You should be able to put tension on your belt and carry rig upright by keeping your knees spread apart.

4. Do what you came there to do. If some one peeks under the stall they should see nothing but your pant legs and shoes and should not see your belt or rig.

Practice at home. Soon you'll find yourself doing this whether you're carrying or not (pta meeting = no carry). Using this method keeps your pants from coming into unnecessary contact with dirty public bathroom floors.

Werewolf
June 21, 2005, 11:46 AM
Paddle holsters are easy enough to take off and put on. What I do is just take it off the belt and then place the weapon - holster and all in my pants on the floor. It's pretty easy to tuck it down inside a pant leg so it's completely hidden. AND - I guarantee you won't forget it like some guys do who put the thing on the back of the toilet tank or on the paper holder.

grimjaw
June 21, 2005, 11:52 AM
Am I the only one who thinks it's a little bit silly to have a thread on a firearms forum where grown men are telling other grown men how to use the bathroom? ;)

Joking of course.

Have a better day!

41mag
June 21, 2005, 11:57 AM
If you do decide to take the holster off make darn sure that,unlike a few cops every year,you remember to take your gun with you when you're done! :)

ocabj
June 21, 2005, 12:03 PM
unless it's going to be a photo-finish, why not just take the belt and holster off and hang that on the door?

Bad idea. Hanging bags, purses, and other items on the hook of the stall door are primary targets for thieves. While you're taking a nice relaxing dump, some guy walks in the bathroom, reaches over the stall door and grabs whatever's hanging on the door/hook and takes off.

Skunkabilly
June 21, 2005, 12:08 PM
I'll post pics of what I do.

thereisnospoon
June 21, 2005, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that this has got to be the greatest Country in the World. Where else could we openly discuss the how tos of crapping with a concealed weapon. I love America!

BTW, I use a paddle holster or a PagerPal and both are easily removed and placed inside the pantleg/pants to disguise/hide, but not forgotten.

Great Thread :p

2nd Amendment
June 21, 2005, 12:17 PM
Yep, that's it. Pull the plug on the in-tra-net, Al. I have now read it all. :D

Werewolf
June 21, 2005, 12:48 PM
I'm pretty sure that this has got to be the greatest Country in the World. Where else could we openly discuss the how tos of crapping with a concealed weapon. I love America!
Thank you so much for that... Folks two offices over are asking what the hell I was laughing at! Busted...

Oh well - I make it a point to have a good belly laugh or two each day and the above gave me one of them. :D

Zundfolge
June 21, 2005, 02:44 PM
I, for one, don't drop my pants to the floor in a public restroom because I don't want my pants (let alone my gun) touching the floor ... blech :barf:

Just pull your pants down to your knees (and rotate the gun around to 3 O'Clock if its at 4 or SOB).

The pants will be far enough down that they don't touch the bowl (double bleh) and they don't touch the floor, and your gun is within real easy reach should you need it on the john.

Better yet, just hold it 'til you get home ;)

Amish_Bill
June 21, 2005, 04:07 PM
Drop them just past your knees, spin the waistband 90%, let the belt & holster fall inside the waistband bewteen your shins, use the pants to hide it.

dfariswheel
June 21, 2005, 04:28 PM
While most people don't think of these things, and others laugh, many police academies give specific training on this.

There are many stories of police officers sitting in the john only to have someone reach over the partition and grab a gun off the coat hook, or under the stall and grab a gun off the floor.
Thieves have been known to follow cops into the john for a chance at a gun, or just be looking under the stalls to see what they could grab and see a gun.

In any case, the gun owner is in no condition to dash out and chase the thief.

Many departments train cops to remove the gun, and while sitting, place the gun in the "sling" formed by the crotch of your pants.
This holds it securely, and keeps it off the floor, out of sight of sneak thieves.

Most departments train cops to NEVER sit there, holding the gun in your hand.
Stupidly, people don't pay attention, and accidentally fire the gun.

Even putting the gun on the floor between your feet isn't good, since no one ever expects someone to just reach under a stall that far to grab something, but thieves do it all the time.
This happens so fast, even though it's between your feet, it's gone before you can react.

Hanging it on the door hook is worse, since the thief is on his feet and already has a running start.

Another hazard of the door hook, is the potential for an AD.
One cop had an incident when he hung his Glock on the door hook by the trigger guard.

When he reached up to take it off, he inadvertently pushed it upward, activating the trigger.
The gun fired, and he lost his grip.
Under recoil, the gun spun around on the trigger guard, and the trigger was activated again.
The gun basically went full-auto as it spun around the hook by the trigger guard emptying the magazine.
Fortunately no one was hurt, but the cop never again stored his gun on a hook.

So, best technique: Remove the entire holster if possible, and just the gun if not, sit down, form a sling with your trousers, and put the gun in that "pocket".

Mr. James
June 21, 2005, 05:27 PM
'nospoon,

Man, that was hilarious - because it's true. Where else would this subject even come up? In England? South Africa? Brazil? Japan? Methinks not. Quite truly, "only in America..."

Anyway, I never, ever let my pants hit the floor if I can possibly help it. Dominic has the best solution. It works, and does not entail unnecessary handling of a loaded firearm in cramped quarters.

If your particular rig won't work in this approach, then use the BVD sling. You did put on clean undies today, right? :scrutiny:

Cosmoline
June 21, 2005, 05:33 PM
Use the Ninja method!

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/rup/ninjapoop.jpg

Standing Wolf
June 21, 2005, 06:48 PM
Better yet, just hold it 'til you get home

The vast majority of public rest rooms aren't very clean or well lit, and far too many are "decorated" with moronic graffiti.

lunaslide
June 21, 2005, 08:50 PM
Better yet, just hold it 'til you get home

Obviously not a former Boy Scout. KIBO!

Another hazard of the door hook, is the potential for an AD.
One cop had an incident when he hung his Glock on the door hook by the trigger guard.

When he reached up to take it off, he inadvertently pushed it upward, activating the trigger.
The gun fired, and he lost his grip.
Under recoil, the gun spun around on the trigger guard, and the trigger was activated again.
The gun basically went full-auto as it spun around the hook by the trigger guard emptying the magazine.
Fortunately no one was hurt, but the cop never again stored his gun on a hook.

Speaking of photo-finishes, this almost made me piss my pants. The cop probably never lived it down either. Thanks for that dfariswheel :D

odysseus
June 21, 2005, 08:56 PM
One cop had an incident when he hung his Glock on the door...

Oh no... here we go!

yorec
June 21, 2005, 10:33 PM
IF it was true, bet he emptied his bowls along with that Glock... :what:

What a way to overcome constipation...

Matt G
June 21, 2005, 10:42 PM
With boxer briefs, use the panty-hammock. ;)

Shield529
June 21, 2005, 11:16 PM
You all are missing the best idea.
1. Remove holster and gun from belt.
2. find seat cover despenser, behind toilet most times.
3. place Fobus over lip of despenser.
It will hold firmly just like the belt.

Or just go into the stall with the baby changing tables inside the stall and put it in the table and close it.

Pilgrim
June 21, 2005, 11:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it's a little bit silly to have a thread on a firearms forum where grown men are telling other grown men how to use the bathroom?

First step on the way to geezerhood, where you discuss your bowel movements with complete strangers.

Pilgrim

armedandsafe
June 21, 2005, 11:53 PM
BTDT. I like this one the best:

Or just go into the stall with the baby changing tables inside the stall and put it in the table and close it.

Pops

DonNikmare
June 21, 2005, 11:59 PM
This thread is worthless without pics! :scrutiny:

ctdonath
June 22, 2005, 12:07 AM
What, a photo of a guy on the pot with two ninjas hanging overhead wasn't enough?

ctdonath
June 22, 2005, 12:09 AM
The Mitch Rosen "Workman" holster unsnaps easily for judicious relocation as needed.

Wrapping one's undies over the pistol works surprisingly well.

DonNikmare
June 22, 2005, 12:21 AM
ctdonath, it's a joke. One photo in this thread is one too many.

Nik

ctdonath
June 22, 2005, 12:30 AM
So is my reply.

I've often been accused of excessively dry humor. No towel needed.

Hardware
June 22, 2005, 02:00 AM
Is that a mall restroom? 'Cause that would make them... oh come on, do I have to spell it out for you? ;)

winstonsmith
June 22, 2005, 02:13 AM
Am I the only one who's going to look up everytime I sit down in a public restroom from now on?

I like the baby changing table idea best.

hcker2000
June 22, 2005, 02:45 AM
Wate there is a realy good solution to this that I just thought up and should patent. But I am a nice guy and will give it to you for free.

Why not grab a loop of elastic band and keep in your pocket when you go out. When you have to use the rest room place the band around your uper arm (make sure its prity tight) and then just clip your holster inside of that band?

I know this wont work for every one but seems resonable for me.

38SnubFan
June 22, 2005, 12:18 PM
Many departments train cops to remove the gun, and while sitting, place the gun in the "sling" formed by the crotch of your pants That's the method I use.

OTOH, I also try to find "one-person", private restrooms if at all a possibility. Then I can just set the gun down on the floor next to me.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a little bit silly to have a thread on a firearms forum where grown men are telling other grown men how to use the bathroom? No, you're not the only one! :D :scrutiny: :rolleyes:

-38SnubFan

SRYnidan
June 22, 2005, 01:36 PM
The one idea that I have not seen yet is that one should look for the handicapped stall.
They are bigger which puts you farther from the partition which makes a grab harder.
Check out Coronado leather I frequently were one of their concealment bypasses this entire issue, even if you donít carry in the vest all of the time it gives you somewhere to put your weapon in the car or the john.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW on the bathroom floor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!