What was that about finger off the trigger?

PDA

dev_null
March 19, 2003, 03:22 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/870749.asp?vts=031920031205

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1828527.jpg
Tank crews from the 3rd Infantry Division raise their weapons and perform a war dance before convoying to a position in Kuwait near the Iraqi border on Wednesday.

If you enjoyed reading about "What was that about finger off the trigger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg L
March 19, 2003, 03:26 PM
At least the two on the left know what they are doing. :rolleyes:

Greg

mons meg
March 19, 2003, 03:29 PM
War dance? Is this some kind of Army thing? When do they start shooting in the air?

QuarterBoreGunner
March 19, 2003, 03:42 PM
GOOD LORD MAN! They've gone NATIVE!

Standing Wolf
March 19, 2003, 03:59 PM
Well, that's one approach, I guess.

Blackhawk
March 19, 2003, 03:59 PM
At least the hammer's down on the one in the foreground.

BTW, the Army never taught me to keep my finger off the trigger with either rifles, pistols, or revolvers during the late '60s. M1911s were carried hammer down, unchambered. Wonder if the Army's wised up, but it doesn't look like it.

mons meg
March 19, 2003, 04:06 PM
I learned the "straight finger" safety from some fine people at Camp Pendleton and Camp Lejeune. I don't know what the heck those guys are thinking.

Yohan
March 19, 2003, 04:15 PM
Don't you guys remember? The front line troops don't have any ammo! :D :D :D

cool45auto
March 19, 2003, 04:48 PM
All those Berettas need to be snatched up and given to me till they learn proper gun safety!:D

QuarterBoreGunner
March 19, 2003, 05:04 PM
Nah cool9mm2002, check out the finish on the Beretta front and center; now THAT’s holster wear.

El Tejon
March 19, 2003, 05:10 PM
No one has a radio?

BerettaNut92
March 19, 2003, 08:00 PM
"But the safety's on!"

Nightfall
March 19, 2003, 08:10 PM
"But the safety's on!"

I'm sure these were somebody's famous last words. ;)

HABU
March 19, 2003, 08:11 PM
I learned the "straight finger" safety from some fine people at Camp Pendleton and Camp Lejeune. Therein lies the problem. Doggies don't train at Lejeune or Pendleton.:D :neener:

answerguy
March 19, 2003, 08:12 PM
Notice the guy in the background? He's showing off the new Smith & Wesson 50 caliber pistol round.:what:

Kahr carrier
March 19, 2003, 08:37 PM
There filming a Rap video.:D

BerettaNut92
March 19, 2003, 08:48 PM
Now there's some Berettas that probably don't have plastic safeties, triggers, guiderods, etc. :p

Nightcrawler
March 19, 2003, 09:17 PM
The Army never taught me not putting your finger on the trigger, either.

I think the Marines cover the four rules, but the Army doesn't. Then they say that the troops have too many NDs, so they don't give them ammunition, instead of just giving them an hour or two of weapons handling training. :rolleyes:

twoblink
March 19, 2003, 09:49 PM
Skunk, the dependency on manual safety in no way means you can have the finger on the trigger and consider it safe!!

That said, F=mA, the bullet velocity coming down is the same as it is going up... So shoot straight up people! :D and save us some ammo.

Blackhawk
March 19, 2003, 11:35 PM
Notice the guy in the background? He's showing off the new Smith & Wesson 50 caliber pistol round.Now that's funny! :D

arinvolvo
March 20, 2003, 12:41 AM
Two blink....F=mA only in Newtonian physics...Meaning that these conditions do not exist outside of a vacuum...

That equation does not take into account the forces of air resistance, friction etc....So as the bullet may come down at a great enough speed to kill someone, it will not be traveling with the same velocity that it left the barrel.

There is something called terminal velocity when we are talking about acceleration due to gravity...An object can only accellerate due to gravity "so much" before it "tops out" and hits a max velocity....and if you are talking about a bullet, that max velocity will be much less than the muzzle velocity.

UnknownSailor
March 20, 2003, 01:06 AM
The Army never taught me not putting your finger on the trigger, either.

This may shock you, but I distinctly heard a Major in the 101 giving a safety brief, in a brief video excerpt, and the clip lasted long enough for him to get all of Rule 2 out.

"Do not point your weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy."

I damned near dropped my remote. :D

Blackhawk
March 20, 2003, 01:18 AM
A major giving a safety briefing? Must have been giving it to either:

1. Other field grade officers, or
2. Generals, or
3. Cameras for some PIO's schtick.

(I was a PIO (Public Information Officer) for about 10 months in Vietnam, and you wouldn't believed the propaganda we put together!)

The highest ranking pistol instructor I saw in the Army was a staff sergeant (E-6).

fallingblock
March 20, 2003, 02:59 AM
As a lowly Sp4 I was doing the arms classes for the XVIII Airborne Corps Artillery in 1968...because no one else seemed interested:uhoh:

dev_null
March 20, 2003, 09:17 AM
the clip lasted long enough for him to get all of Rule 2 out.

Did you mean the film clip, or the gun's magazine? :D

-0-

Tamara
March 20, 2003, 10:23 AM
It's a veritable rainbow coalition of poor gunhandling! :what:

Meowhead
March 20, 2003, 11:46 AM
Here's another shot. Same situation, different angle.

Notice anything strange about those Berettas? Like the absence of magazines? What's going on?

Nightcrawler
March 20, 2003, 12:12 PM
What's going on? They haven't been issued any ammunition, that's what. When they issue ammo to the troops, they have problems with NDs, because the bulk of Army personnel haven't been taught decent gun handling skills. So, instead of giving everybody a 2-hour class on safe gun handling in basic training, they don't issue them ammo during a war.

Notice the private first class in the front has better gun handling skills than the NCOs around him. Good for him!

Now, in MY unit, my squad leader told us about keeping the finger off of the trigger and such. I had already known it at that point, but it was nice to hear. Such instruction is apparently uncommon, though.

Meowhead
March 20, 2003, 01:53 PM
That's....that's....words fail me. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

mons meg
March 20, 2003, 02:24 PM
The whole "war dance" thing still bothers me. In boot camp at MCRD San Diego, they used to call that "false motivation". They're not getting ready to take the field and throw a football, fer cryin out loud.

RustyHammer
March 20, 2003, 04:13 PM
Saw the picture yesterday and wondered the same thing. Remember, those are "trained professionals" !

eeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkk!

:uhoh: :rolleyes: :scrutiny:

firestar
March 20, 2003, 04:37 PM
It took me several seconds to realize that these were AMERICANS! I assumed I was looking at a group of Iraqie soldiers.

If you enjoyed reading about "What was that about finger off the trigger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!