What's the lowdown on these two brands of autochuckers - Stoegers and new Mossy 930?

PDA

GunGoBoom
June 21, 2005, 10:48 PM
What's up with Stoegers...made in Turkey I understand...that's the Ottoman Empire for you C.M. Burns-era gunnies, but are they reliable, good, etc.?

Then I see Mossberg has a new line - not the 935 3.5" magnum series, but a 930 series - 2.75 & 3", with some variety in their offerings - anyone know good or bad yet?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the lowdown on these two brands of autochuckers - Stoegers and new Mossy 930?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
June 22, 2005, 09:48 AM
Not personally familiar with either of them. But...

I am leery of 'off brand' stuff that is supposed to last for 20 years and more with no factory support (parts availability). If it isn't an established major manufacturer, sorry- not getting my $$ for a product that might get sidelined for minor stuff. BTDT, no more for me. Popular stuff with millions sold gets supported no matter what, other stuff without a large population in use gets shrugged off.

Also sorry, but Mossberg doesn't have a very good track record with autoloaders AFAIK.

Remington 1100s are still available new or used if you want a gas gun... lotso used Browning humpbacks if you want recoil operated.

lpl/nc (not suffering for parts for Browning Auto 5s or Remington 11-48s either, tho both are out of production)

Onmilo
June 22, 2005, 11:18 PM
930 Mossberg is the new and improved version of the 2 3/4"-3" capable 9200.

Lots of shooters found out they don't need a heavy 3.5" capable shotgun to shoot pheasants and rabbits.

Mossberg Auto guns have been more than neccessarily complicated but I have shot them for years with no reliability issues.

I know nothing about the Stoeger.

Glenn Kelley
June 23, 2005, 12:46 AM
I have the Stoeger 2000,won it in an NWTF draw.I understand that it is an exact copy of a Benelli.Stoeger is a subsiduary of Berretta as is Benelli.I was told that the Vursan factory is owned by them as well.

The gun functions well.I use it mostly for hunting so I haven't put a lot of ammo through it.Finish is about the same as the low end 870's.

Dave McCracken
June 23, 2005, 05:08 AM
I'm with Lee on this one. This is The Golden Age of autoloaders. There's the 1100,the 11-87, the Berettas, the Benellis, the Winchester X-2 and its sibling the Browning Gold, and plenty of older A-5s kicking around and likely to do so for decades.

Stick with the known names.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the lowdown on these two brands of autochuckers - Stoegers and new Mossy 930?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!